Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

20 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I haven’t seen anything from garland that shows he’s a willing passer. Plus he gives it right back up on defense. 

Not sure about that he passed a lot last season especially because Sexton couldnt initiate anything so Garland did. Problem is he turned it over a ton trying to pass running the P&R but at least the awareness and thought was there. Im not going to judge him either way until this upcoming season since he was a rookie coming off a injury with no preseason/

Plus in todays NBA there isnt really traditional PGs anymore. There are just play initiators and nearly all high level 'PGs' are actually just scoring guards like Lillard. As long as Garland can bring the ball up court and learn to pass more efficiently in P&R situations then he will be just fine.

1 hour ago, roger murdock said:

My rotation would be:

PG: Garland (28 minutes); Sexton (20 minutes)

SG: Porter Jr (24 minutes); Sexton (12 minutes); Exum (12 minutes)

SF: Okoro (24 minutes); Osman (24 minutes)

PF: Love (34 minutes); Nance Jr (14 minutes)

Ct: Drummond (28 minutes); Nance Jr (20 minutes)

Starting garland over Sexton is a massive mistake. Sexton was a stud after the all star break. Garland hasn’t proven anything yet. 

23 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Starting garland over Sexton is a massive mistake. Sexton was a stud after the all star break. Garland hasn’t proven anything yet. 

You're playing Sexton more minutes because hes better, but he needs to come off the bench to fit his skills and the teams. Sextons skills are 100% based on his own individual play. He has more value added playing with worse teammates, and playing against worse opponents. All Sexton does is play for himself, and he's really good at it, but he holds back his teammates because he cant pass, and he's a terrible defender.

Sexton can come off the bench, destroy 2nd units, not get lit up because their bench scoring is worse than starting units, and his terrible passing/vision matters because he will be playing with subs who score less. 

Garland is a FAR better passer, moves better off ball, and should space the court better. 

• Like 3

Just now, roger murdock said:

You're playing Sexton more minutes because hes better, but he needs to come off the bench to fit his skills and the teams. Sextons skills are 100% based on his own individual play. He has more value added playing with worse teammates, and playing against worse opponents. All Sexton does is play for himself, and he's really good at it, but he holds back his teammates because he cant pass, and he's a terrible defender.

Sexton can come off the bench, destroy 2nd units, not get lit up because their bench scoring is worse than starting units, and his terrible passing/vision matters because he will be playing with subs who score less. 

Garland is a FAR better passer, moves better off ball, and should space the court better. 

That is my assessment as well. Not only does running Sexton with the starting unit hurt the team offensively, but it kills them defensively having 2 PGs on the floor at the same time who are both bad defenders.

Garland seemed to actually improve last year when Sexton wasnt on the court when they staggered their mins because you could tell they didnt know how to play with one another on the floor at the same time.

The way to maximize the Cavs (though it might be a hard convo to have with him) is giving him big mins off the bench with the second units and to close out games. Same way Jamall Crawford has made a career for himself.

Sexton isn’t coming off the bench, even if it is best for us (which I doubt). He’s our best player, for better or for worse. We don’t have enough sustainable offensive threats to let him play off the bench IMO. Maybe down the line or if we trade/sign a legit DUDE, but I would bet my bottom dollar we start both Garland and Sexton in the back court and suffer the defensive inefficiency. 

56 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

Sexton isn’t coming off the bench. Not unless garland makes a huge improvement. I don’t care how poor his passing is. He might be good at it but it’s not happening anytime soon. The nba is full of guards who don’t look to pass and they still start. 

• Like 1

I'd start Sexton/Garland if not Sexton/KPJ to begin the season unless Garland has improved quite a bit.  I feel like putting Sexton on the bench for Garland just because that's the best possible outcome for our young prospects is ignorant of the fact Garland hasn't been anywhere close to what we think his potential is.

Aside from that I've talked myself into liking the Okoro pick a lot.  In a draft that's weak it seemed like a strong move to pick a high floor guy to fill a pretty huge need on this team.

Edited by Rod Johnson

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

We really need to bring in a vet PG for these young guys to learn from (not delly) either though trade or signing. Doesn’t have to be a starter but someone who can mentor these guys. 

I want DeAnthony Melton. He’s not really a veteran, but he plays so hard on defense and is a decent all-around offensive player. He locks dudes down on the perimeter and has a very high basketball IQ for someone under 23 years of age. 

I agree with you that a wily vet would be great to have, but who is gonna want to come here and sit behind our young guards? This FA PG class is bleh anyways. I don’t think we’re getting ring-chasers like Rondo and Avery Bradley. Might as well just find a young guy that complements those two knuckleheads well (Melton). 

• Like 1

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck