Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

4 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Sexton is going to play point the rest of his career. He’s too small to play anything else. He’s too short to guard SGs. Which is why he and garland are a terrible combo even if garland plays well. 

Agreed. I hated the Garland pick but had some Hope he would be similar to Kyrie. But he looks like he’s going to be stuck behind Sexton unless he gets traded. 

16 minutes ago, OttoGrahamsGhost said:

Agreed. I hated the Garland pick but had some Hope he would be similar to Kyrie. But he looks like he’s going to be stuck behind Sexton unless he gets traded. 

The amount of hate for Darius Garland by Cavs fans is astounding. 

- He is 19 years old.

- He didnt play basketball for nearly a year coming into the season because of his injury

- He didnt have a single drop of offseason prep with Summer League or Pre Season because of the injury

- He essentially went from a HS Senior to starting in the NBA.

- He was the #1 ranked PG prospect in the country for a reason. Its not because hes bad at basketball.

- There was a reason he was so highly regarded come draft time despite only playing 5 college games.

Can we please give these kids more time? Just like the NFL give them 3 years before trying to throw these guys off the team

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

- He is 19 years old.

- He didnt play basketball for nearly a year coming into the season because of his injury

- He didnt have a single drop of offseason prep with Summer League or Pre Season because of the injury

- He was the #1 ranked PG prospect in the country for a reason. Its not because hes bad at basketball.

- There was a reason he was so highly regarded come draft time despite only playing 5 college games.

Can we please give these kids more time? Just like the NFL give them 3 years before trying to throw these guys off the team

I’m not saying that he can’t be good. I’m just saying I think Sexton is better and has honestly excelled beyond what I expected. Garland was a projection based on ability like Kyrie was when he came out, just haven’t seen much from Garland yet. I hope the kid is great. No hate on him. Just didn’t like them taking another PG when Sexton was still unproven. I would have hated a PG picked first this year too because of the last two years picks. I don’t hate Garland, just thought picking a PG wasn’t the best idea. I still hold out hope SexLand is a thing in the future. 

Edited by OttoGrahamsGhost

10 minutes ago, OttoGrahamsGhost said:

I’m not saying that he can’t be good. I’m just saying I think Sexton is better and has honestly excelled beyond what I expected. Garland was a projection based on ability like Kyrie was when he came out, just haven’t seen much from Garland yet. I hope the kid is great. No hate on him. Just didn’t like them taking another PG when Sexton was still unproven. I would have hated a PG picked first this year too because of the last two years picks. I don’t hate Garland, just thought picking a PG want the best idea. I still hold out hope SexLand is a thing in the future. 

I think it all stems back to 2 things. 1) The Cavs went BPA because they got burned in the past by going for fit. They passed on Lillard for Waiters and didnt want to make that mistake again. 2) They knew Sexton didnt have tradition PG skills and saw him more as a undersized combo guard so they doubled down with Garland.

I also believe that Garland will wind up being the better long term player. Sexton is good, but hes he has a extremely limited skillset. He is going to score on good efficiency but do little else to help the team. Hes a bad defender, he cant facilitate, low BBIQ, doesnt run the offense well, his ball handling is questionable, ect. I just think he is destined to be a microwave scoring 6th man because of how limited his skillset it.

I think Garlands skillset is much more vast which will allow him to become the better player in 2-3 years once he gets the experience and growth going. . 

Edited by AkronsWitness

1 hour ago, QBIso said:

Why tho? It’s not like we need to preserve cap space for an elite FA. Yeah he’s overrated, but he’d be our best player by a mile.

But he's not helping this team at all considering the pieces you would have to give up to get him.

Amico said it would have been Love + a young player or two like Sexton/Garland/Porter + a 1st round pick.

Westbrook would be great if we were looking to sacrifice our rebuild and be okay with being a 7-9 seed for the next 3 years.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

On 11/29/2020 at 10:19 AM, AkronsWitness said:

- He is 19 years old.

Good point but the cavs will be in the lottery come April

1 hour ago, mtmmike said:

Good point but the cavs will be in the lottery come April

Absolutely they will, but that doesn't mean all of the players they drafted suck, it means they are all 19-22 years old.

The instant impact of guys like Luka Doncic have made everyone microwaved success hungry. It doesn't work like that 95% of the time.

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck