Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

28 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Apparently Fedor wrote a article on Cleveland.com and it says in there that Garland looks leaner/toner, not bulky muscle. So theres that. He said he hired a personal chef and really began to start to eat clean and change his diet along with strength/conditioning with the Cavs S/C coach.

Its not that much weight to put on in that time period for a 19 year old kid who is still growing into his body. When I was in my early 20s I went through a good weight loss post-college and shed about 10lbs per month by finally just working out and eating healthy. And I didnt have a Cavs trainer or dietitian haha Your body at that young of a age is extremely easy to manipulate up and down the scale. In your 30s, not so much 

Losing weight is significantly easier than gaining muscle.  15-20 pounds of muscle takes 2-3 years for most people (save noob gainz) especially at his size (obv easier if you are like 6’6 with a larger frame).

people can lose that in a couple months, even in their 30’s, 40’s, 50’s, etc.

Weight loss and weight gain aren’t remotely comparable.

1 hour ago, ReggieCamp said:

You’re 68?

You make me feel young, Bruce. Thanks for that.

I feel like we should have a thread where every one on here posts their age and I think it would be hilarious to see the discrepancy. 

@NudeTayne especially when he reveals that he is 15

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

I feel like we should have a thread where every one on here posts their age and I think it would be hilarious to see the discrepancy. 

@NudeTayne especially when he reveals that he is 15

15 from the waist down, yeah.

Edited by NudeTayne
A 15 year-old horse.
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I get he’s in a good position with his age and likely a lack of training previously, but 17 pounds of good weight in 6-8 months is a helluva task for a 6’0 guy who’s primary training goals aren’t going to be strength and power.

I’d be skeptical if he was just doing “the big 3” and trying to add strength, but to do so while trying to stay lean and keep his quickness and endurance while also working on developing physical skills for his particular sport seems.... questionable.

I knew plenty of people who put on about 10 lbs of muscle when we got deployed without personal trainers and personal chefs.  Also considering where he started from based on pictures I don't think 17 lbs is impossible if he really put forth the effort.

17 pounds is not a lot at all.

I coach high school football and the kids in our weight program put on an average of 15-20 pounds. Our most committed kids put on 25-30. Yeah it’s easier when they’re 15-17 years old than 19, but all it takes is some persistence and motivation.

Basketball players are typically not ones to change their bodies. Could be the vaginal nature of the sport, but for whatever reason, most basketball players shudder at the thought of a callus on their palms. It’s rare for them to weight train seriously.

I’n proud of Garland and look forward to seeing his improvements (hopefully). 

23 minutes ago, QBIso said:

I coach high school football and the kids in our weight program put on an average of 15-20 pounds. Our most committed kids put on 25-30. Yeah it’s easier when they’re 15-17 years old than 19, but all it takes is some persistence and motivation.

Basketball players are typically not ones to change their bodies. Could be the vaginal nature of the sport, but for whatever reason, most basketball players shudder at the thought of a callus on their palms. It’s rare for them to weight train seriously.

To be fair, foot speed and quickness are the most important physical attributes (besides height of course). So I imagine cardio is more important to focus on.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Raves said:

I knew plenty of people who put on about 10 lbs of muscle when we got deployed without personal trainers and personal chefs.  Also considering where he started from based on pictures I don't think 17 lbs is impossible if he really put forth the effort.

Chefs and trainers don’t add muscle, they add convenience, motivation and supervision.  They aren’t a prerequisite for gaining mass.

And 17 pound and 10 pounds aren’t “roughly the same”.  It’s 70% more. For most natural lifters, even with good genetics, that’s typically gonna take the better part of a year to gain 7 pounds of lean muscle.

58 minutes ago, QBIso said:

17 pounds of lean weight in 6 months is a sht ton, DYEL??  That’s literally 10% of his body weight from his starting point.  In 6 months. While doing a ton of cardio (presumably).

Shoveling a ton of food and your face and doing heavy compound lifts you may gain that weight, especially at 15-16, but it sure as hell isn’t going to be all good weight,  there’s gonna be hella fluff paired with that muscle, which, if you’re preparing to play OL or some ish doesn’t really matter.  That said, if you’re doing cardio and need to have a high level of cardio endurance as well as elite quickness for your profession isn’t going to happen.

And those great gains are typically seen with people who are new to lifting, not professional athletes who’ve likely been training in some capacity for years.  They’ve exhausted their noob gains.

The reason you don’t see it in basketball players is it’s not necessary for the sport to be bulky.  I’m not saying having muscle is bad, simply it’s a game based around skill, speed, quickness, explosion, etc and not physical strength.  Instead of focusing on squats, deads, and presses, they’re focusing on box jumps, cardio, flexibility, endurance and sport specific skills like shooting and ball handling.

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck