Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

3 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I don’t think he would accept that. And with extensions coming up he’s going to be way over priced for a 6th man. 

Honestly as long as he's playing 32+ mpg I think he wouldn't care whether he's starting off on the bench or starting as long as he helps the team win.  Though he would definitely need to be talked to about the move and why it's happening so it doesn't create any kind of animosity between him and the org.  Like I think he could fill a similar role as Manu Ginobli did for the Spurs.  He was often the 6th man but he still played starter minutes and was one of their big 3 with Parker and Duncan.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Raves said:

Honestly as long as he's playing 32+ mpg I think he wouldn't care whether he's starting off on the bench or starting as long as he helps the team win.  Though he would definitely need to be talked to about the move and why it's happening so it doesn't create any kind of animosity between him and the org.  Like I think he could fill a similar role as Manu Ginobli did for the Spurs.  He was often the 6th man but he still played starter minutes and was one of their big 3 with Parker and Duncan.

The problem with him playing 32 min means he’d still have to be on the floor with garland a lot. Which would be an automatic negative on defense as it is now. Those two simply can’t play together successful. 

14 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

The problem with him playing 32 min means he’d still have to be on the floor with garland a lot. Which would be an automatic negative on defense as it is now. Those two simply can’t play together successful. 

Well at 32 minutes it's only at most probably 16 minutes which they can just make sure to have 2 defensive minded forwards along with Allen during that time.

42 minutes ago, Raves said:

Well at 32 minutes it's only at most probably 16 minutes which they can just make sure to have 2 defensive minded forwards along with Allen during that time.

So we have to build an entire team around covering up for 2 guys weakness? It’s not worth it. It’s not Iike they’re dame and CJ. They don’t have that talent to make it worth it. Gotta choose one. And if we draft Cade both might have to go anyway. 

3 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

So we have to build an entire team around covering up for 2 guys weakness? It’s not worth it. It’s not Iike they’re dame and CJ. They don’t have that talent to make it worth it. Gotta choose one. And if we draft Cade both might have to go anyway. 

well it took CJ to year three to do anything in the league. i believe garland could mesh with Cade, he can actually facilitate and create unlike Sexton 

9 minutes ago, buno67 said:

well it took CJ to year three to do anything in the league. i believe garland could mesh with Cade, he can actually facilitate and create unlike Sexton 

You could see CJ had all star talent before year 3. He was just on the bench behind Wes Mathews. I still think Sexton is much better. I’d rather have him with Cade. But garland had a lot more room to grow right now. I think what we see from Sexton is pretty much what he’s going to be. He’s not going to wake up one day and be a good passer. So if garland keeps improving then yeah he might be better. 

3 hours ago, bruceb said:

All true.

But if he starts sinking more 3s getting to the rim will become easier.

I see him as a Kyrie-lite.

Yeah he has a lot of game similar to Kyrie. Right now he is a inefficient version of Kyrie. Its like Garland is stuggling to find his comfortability still. He seems very hesitant a lot of the time. 

I think Sexton is who he is at this point. I dont think he is randomly going to develop into a great decision maker with a high BBIQ. He missed Windler coming off screens like 3 possessions in a row last night and I thought Windler was going to kill him lol He struggles a LOT with seeing plays develop and playing with anticipation. 

I think because Garland is more of a traditional PG who can run a offense he is probably a long term starter and Sexton is destined to be a super 6th man. Sort of like Jordan Clarkson.

If the Cavs are able to land a really good SF prospect in the draft next year. I dont see how you can have Sexton on the floor with whoever that might be. He cannot be your 1st scoring option on a good team. He would be best served as that microwave scorer off the bench with 28-30 mins per night.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I don’t think he would accept that. And with extensions coming up he’s going to be way over priced for a 6th man. 

The Cavs are going to overpay Sexton because they are desperate and regret the hell out of it in 2-3 years when nobody wants his fringe All-Star contract when whatever team wants him to be a 6th man.

41 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Its like Garland is stuggling to find his comfortability still. He seems very hesitant a lot of the time. 

I saw that a lot last night. And, ya, I actually watched the game. Winter doldrum boredom.

44 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

He struggles a LOT with seeing plays develop and playing with anticipation. 

.He's more like a cruise missle, although he occasionally produces a handful of assists.

11 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

The Cavs are going to overpay Sexton because they are desperate and regret the hell out of it in 2-3 years when nobody wants his fringe All-Star contract when whatever team wants him to be a 6th man.

At least he plays and produces

• Like 1

Yeah I wouldn't want anyone on this Cavs team long-term. Maybe Josh Allen and Okoro, as I think we need to build a defensive roster. But everyone else? I'd let everyone else walk or cut whoever we can to make sure this roster looks nothing like this in a year or two.

I also don't want to sign any FA's until we have a young squad in place that can make a push. Right now, we have a bunch of average to below average players that put up either no stats, or empty volume stats. I would trade just about anyone for a draft pick or cash considerations right now. Time to tank hard again.

1 hour ago, Rod Johnson said:

At least he plays and produces

Yeah, but that's how you end up with an Andre Drummond albatross contract that doesn't allow you any flexibility or improvement. I am strongly against paying non-elite players the max. I'd rather have a garbage team that routinely wins 10 games a year than to build a below average roster with bloated salaries and very little room for improvement.

We need to be a team that strikes with the iron's hot. We aren't slowly building a super team. What we need to do is stay cap flexible, gain assets, and when we have 2-3 pieces in place, push those chips to the front of the table. We haven't been acquiring or holding chips. We've been going all-in on guys that are slightly above average. No more of that garbage.

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck