Cavaliers Thread: We Don’t Suck Again!

LETSGOBROWNIES

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Does he have to be a great playmaker?  How about “good” or “capable”?

The guy is like 3 years away from entering his prime.

I need more like 'willing'. Sexton has shown he can score and has that mentality, but he has rarely shown that he is even a willing passer because he always wants the ball in his hands.

Hes good at his role of being a pure scorer and now even a serviceable defender, Im just saying in order for him to go from a good player to a player who can take your team to the next level, hes going to need to learn how to facilitate and open his court awareness up. Im just not so sure any front office wants to wait 3-5 more years to see if hes capable of doing that.

15 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Like I said multiple times, elite 6th man. 

Thats the thing I think the Cavs need to spend the next 2 seasons figuring out. Can Collin Sexton be the #1 or #2 option on a team that can go to the playoffs and win a series with.

If hes not, then he needs to 1) Be paid accordingly and 2) Be talked to about a 6th man type of role.

No hurt feelings but and I know the Cavs are the Cavs but if Sexton doesnt show that he can be good enough to be one of 'the' guys on a team that can win in the playoffs, then he needs to be put in that 6th man role.

Personally, I think he is a great piece to have but his skillset is somewhat limited. On a good team that can go to the playoffs and win, he is a Jordan Clarkson type 6th man off the bench. The Cavs can run Garland at PG, Okoro at SG and draft a player next year at SF.

Edited by AkronsWitness

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

No hurt feelings but and I know the Cavs are the Cavs but if Sexton doesnt show that he can be good enough to be one of 'the' guys on a team that can win in the playoffs, then he needs to be traded to find that guy.

Fixed that last part for you. If he isn’t good enough to be that guy, he needs to be traded to help you find that guy. If it’s used to trade for a draft pick or a guy who is being held back by their current team. No reason to “hey we got a legit 6th man” when you are struggling to find that franchise cornerstone

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

Fixed that last part for you. If he isn’t good enough to be that guy, he needs to be traded to help you find that guy. If it’s used to trade for a draft pick or a guy who is being held back by their current team. No reason to “hey we got a legit 6th man” when you are struggling to find that franchise cornerstone

I mean yeah but what would his trade value even be. I think the Cavs think a lot higher (because they have to) of Sexton than the rest of the league does. Not every player has to be a superstar, Sexton just has to accept that in a year or two--his path to really helping a team is in the role of a super 6th man, not a starter.

I keep saying it but look at the impact Jordan Clarkson has on the Jazz. He is going to win 6MOY this year on the best team in basketball

1 hour ago, LinebackerGod said:

I'm all for getting rid of Sexton rather than paying him a crazy deal. He's not worth that kind of money when he's literally terrible at one-half of the game of basketball.

Yeah but too bad the Cavs have a history of overpaying good but not great players so it makes it impossible to trade them ever in the future when they realize it was a overpay contract that no other team wants.

9 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yeah but too bad the Cavs have a history of overpaying good but not great players so it makes it impossible to trade them ever in the future when they realize it was a overpay contract that no other team wants.

The issue is what is the alternative?  

Trade him? Ok.  But are we gonna get a better player?  

Don’t sign him?  That doesn’t help.

Unless you draft a superstar or trade for one, you kinda have to dance with who ya brung.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The issue is what is the alternative?  

Trade him? Ok.  But are we gonna get a better player?  

Don’t sign him?  That doesn’t help.

Unless you draft a superstar or trade for one, you kinda have to dance with who ya brung.

I mean you sign him, but you sign him for a fair contract so he doesnt become unmovable in the future like we have with Love and Drummond right now and have a talk with him that his future on a good team is a 6th man.

You sign him like he is the 38th best player in the NBA because he is, you dont sign him like he is the 12th best player in the NBA just because your the Cavs and have the room to do it.

I like Sexton--but I dont like him enough to toss a Max contract at just because we are the Cavs.

Edited by AkronsWitness

I would rather let Sexton walk outright than sign him to a max deal. I’d trade him for a high draft pick or package him with other picks/players to get somebody that can play two ways.

The most Cavs/mediocre thing ever would be to sign Sexton to a huge deal. That’s not how you win in the NBA. You bleed your roster dry or you go all-in. No half measures please. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, LinebackerGod said:

I would rather let Sexton walk outright than sign him to a max deal. I’d trade him for a high draft pick or package him with other picks/players to get somebody that can play two ways.

The most Cavs/mediocre thing ever would be to sign Sexton to a huge deal. That’s not how you win in the NBA. You bleed your roster dry or you go all-in. No half measures please. 

Yeah PGs are a dime a dozen. Unless they’re elite I’m not going max. Sexton would really have to look like an all nba player by next year to even think about a max. 

• Like 1