Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I like the comp.

I like it on offense. Bosh had a smoother jumper and Mobley is a much better passer. Both have similar body types and are lean and mobile

Mobley has considerably more defensive upside, instinct and length 

I’d be pretty disappointed if Mobley wasn’t a much better player long term 

1 hour ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

umm, you forgot something. Otto's final year of his contract was this season, so he's a free agent with no contract. The trade machine doesnt update that, but Gary Harris is the Magic's highest paid player for next season at 20 mil

Crap,

I thought it was current.

My bad

Just now, roger murdock said:

I like it on offense. Bosh had a smoother jumper and Mobley is a much better passer. Both have similar body types and are lean and mobile

Mobley has considerably more defensive upside, instinct and length 

I’d be pretty disappointed if Mobley wasn’t a much better player long term 

Yeah that’s fair.

Bosh was really good offensively.  His numbers dipped in Miami as he was the third option, but he was a 22-24ppg scorer in Toronto.

Id be surprised if Mobley is notably better offensively, but his defense is probably comparable to prime Bosh now.

Bosh was really solid defensively too.  I think the one thing Mobley does better is provide rim protection and the difference is significant.  Both are/were really good at switching.

As long as Mobley continues to develop as you’d expect, he’s a guy who can play both inside and outside offensively, provide rim protection and can’t be targeted with switches.  There aren’t a lot of guys who can do that.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, big poppa pump said:

tbf...Mobley had 3 blocks a game vs Allen 1.5 (for career) and he appears to be able to handle switching out on guards pretty well (I don't get the slow-footed thing you previously wrote)

He hasn't done it at the same level as Allen obviously.  I get it!  I like Allen too, and my preference would be to keep him, pay him, and draft Green.  If Green is taken at 2, and we are faced with Mobley or Suggs, I like Mobley.  I just don't know if Allen and Mobley fit together.

Comparing a players blocks per game in college to a player in the NBA is nonsense.

Go look at how many blocks Nerlens Noel had in college (4.5) compared what's he's averaged for his career in the pros (1.5)

I will give him that he is probably a more fluid perimeter defender than Allen is but I don't think he's ever going to be a elite rim protector and a stopper in the paint like Allen is. Allen has a combination of height, length and athletic ability to jump with any player at the rim.

My whole point being I don't think the gap between Mobley and Allen is worth the 3rd pick in the draft. I would just hate to give up on a established and young player like Allen to go with another rookie thats going to go through another learning curve. Its like taking 1 step back to maybe, possibly, hopefully take 2 steps forward in a few years from now 

In the end, the Cavs might not have a choice if the Rockets take Green.

Edited by AkronsWitness

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

My whole point being I don't think the gap between Mobley and Allen is worth the 3rd pick in the draft

That’s what I keep telling my boy. It’s not worth missing out on a top talent for the amount of value Mobley brings as an upgrade. For a team that needs to be collecting good players. 

Im team either trade up for Cade or trade down with Orlando. 

1 minute ago, brownie man said:

That’s what I keep telling my boy. It’s not worth missing out on a top talent for the amount of value Mobley brings as an upgrade. For a team that needs to be collecting good players. 

Im team either trade up for Cade or trade down with Orlando. 

I'm just praying to God Green is there at #3 and we don't have to worry about any of this lol

6 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

No different than any other draft, you take the bpa and worry about fit later.

I do think, and imagine most do, this is probably the year they need to start making moves to define the long term vision of the roster and start putting pieces in place.

That said, I don’t think a ton has to be done and whatever needs to be done doesn’t have to be done immediately.  I’d really like to see how these pieces fit and how much some of the young guys have (or have not) improved before pulling the trigger on a trade.

If we take Mobley, there’s more than enough min at the 4 and 5 for he and Allen. Yeah the spacing isn’t ideal yet, but I think Mobley will get there and the interior defense should be great.  

If we go with Green, he starts by coming off the bench and gets mins at the 2/3 with Okoro. I suppose you could try running Sexton, Garland, Green and Okoro together and play some small ball, but that’s some absurdly small ball as they’re all 6’5 or under.

That's another thing too I wanted to mention. Why can't Mobley take Loves spot at PF if he's so mobile and can switch onto guards on the perimeter and Allen still be a rim protecting Center.

If they are both that good on defense, why not just keep them both and have a monster frontcourt. Why does it have to be one or the other.

People compare him to Chris Bosh, Bosh was a PF and was only a Center in small ball lineups later in his career in Miami.

Edited by AkronsWitness

9 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

That's another thing too I wanted to mention. Why can't Mobley take Loves spot at PF if he's so mobile and can switch onto guards on the perimeter and Allen still be a rim protecting Center.

If they are both that good on defense, why not just keep them both and have a monster frontcourt. Why does it have to be one or the other.

People compare him to Chris Bosh, Bosh was a PF and was only a Center in small ball lineups later in his career in Miami.

Yeah I’d happily trade Allen if it nets us a young, talented wing with some height, but most teams aren’t looking to move those guys.

Other than that, we don’t need another 1/2/undersized 3.

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah I’d happily trade Allen if it nets us a young, talented wing with some height, but most teams aren’t looking to move those guys.

@AkronsWitness

yeah see this my concern bro. You bring in Green now him or Okoro have to be out of position playing the 3. Okoro going up against the 3s on the playoffs right now would not be a great fit. He’s just not big enough to do is consistently. 

You draft Green and then Okoro is playing at a disadvantage. You have two top 5 picks and one is playing out of position. 

Give me the trade down with Orlando and I go Kuminga and Scottie Barnes, Jalen Johnson, or Wagner and then your building a legit team 

8 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean if we are hellbent in starting two 6'1" guards that play zero defense you better have two guys like Mobley/Allen together behind them 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brownie man said:

@AkronsWitness

yeah see this my concern bro. You bring in Green now him or Okoro have to be out of position playing the 3. Okoro going up against the 3s on the playoffs right now would not be a great fit. He’s just not big enough to do is consistently. 

You draft Green and then Okoro is playing at a disadvantage. You have two top 5 picks and one is playing out of position. 

Give me the trade down with Orlando and I go Kuminga and Scottie Barnes, Jalen Johnson, or Wagner and then your building a legit team 

I think Green and Okoro can still be growing. Especially Green. He's 6'6" already and only 19 years old. He could grow another inch or two and be 6'7"-6'8" and fit the SF spot.

If not that, I would rather just trade #3 for a proven player like Lavine, Ingram, Brown or Siakam.

Mobley, Green, and Cunningham are not guys you trade down for. If we were picking at 4? Sure I'd entertain it. We aren't. 

All 3 get drafted 1st overall last year. All 3 get drafted before Morant. All 3 get drafted above Ayton. All 3 get drafted above Fultz. 

Jarrett Allen is what? The 150th best player in the NBA? Somewhere in that ballpark. You dont let that dictate who you draft. We are talking 'should be hall of famer' players here at 3. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roger murdock said:

Mobley, Green, and Cunningham are not guys you trade down for. If we were picking at 4? Sure I'd entertain it. We aren't. 

All 3 get drafted 1st overall last year. All 3 get drafted before Morant. All 3 get drafted above Ayton. All 3 get drafted above Fultz. 

Jarrett Allen is what? The 150th best player in the NBA? Somewhere in that ballpark. You dont let that dictate who you draft. We are talking 'should be hall of famer' players here at 3. 

Man I am not taking Green or Mobley over Ja. 

I had this discussion with my boy. I damn sure ain’t taking him over Ayton. If they were both in the same draft I am confident Ayton would go earlier 

Fultz I’ll give you. But Tatum was the best prospect in that draft Philly and La just make bad picks. And I’d take Tatum over Mobley. 

Mobley is good but he’s doesn’t have HOF projections in my opinion. 

Green is a bucket. But what else does he bring?

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck