Cavaliers Thread: We Don’t Suck Again!

LETSGOBROWNIES

29 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

Looking at salaries these are the only trades that make sense

Love for Oladipo and Iggy - salary dump for Cavs, Heat gain a years salary for someone who can play. We pay the 21M for an injured Oladipo

Love for Steven Adam’s - spacing for Zion

Portland / Philly / LAC - no salaries line up that make any sense

I think a potential Love trade will either be a 3 team deal, or it will be he and Sexton to Philly for Simmons. I hate the extension we signed him for, but I 100% agree that I'm not going to pay just to dump his salary. Portland WOULD make sense if CJ wants to come home and agreed to be the 6th man, which I think he would for sure instantly become the leader for 6th man of the year if that happened. Of course, if that went down, that means we would be moving Sexton somewhere.

NYK: Gets Collin Sexton 6.3m, Daymean Dotson 2m (not guaranteed), KZ Okpala 1.8m

CLE: Kevin Knox 5.8m, Tyler Herro 4 mil, Andre Iguodala 15 mil (team option), pick #19 from NYK. 

MIA: Larry Nance Jr, 10.6m, Immanuel Quickley 2.2m, Cedi Osman 8m, future draft pick NYK.

The Knicks get a legit scoring threat who helps them compete now in Sexton, while allowing the team to maintain cap flexibility to be in position to sign key free agents.

Cleveland gets Herro who would be an ideal fit playing next to Garland and Okoro, and they also receive draft compensation from the Knicks.

Miami gets a versatile defender in Nance, who is also an efficient shooter, they get a nice future piece in Quickley. Cedi gives them depth at the 2-3 positions, and has a descending value contract. Miami also receives future draft compensation from New York. 

If the Magic offer 5,8 and a starter for our 3 do you make the trade?

If we offer 3 and Sexton to Detroit for 1 do you make trade?

If we offer Love and Sexton to Philly for Simmons, do you make the trade?

Edited by #32
Mistake

20 hours ago, #32 said:

Yes to the bottom 2 no to the first. We need quality not quantity. 

• Like 1

On 7/3/2021 at 8:07 AM, #32 said:

probably not.  I like this draft and think we need both quantity and quality as our roster blows in general, I’d rather have one of the top 3 guys.

Hard to say without knowing what Sexton brings on his own.  I like Cunningham, but I think the difference between he and Green/Mobley isn’t huge.  I could easily see either of them being a better player long term.

Yes, and this would be my ideal trade for Sexton.

Love and Sexton would help Philly in the short term, Simmons gives us length and athleticism we lack.  

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

probably not.  I like this draft and think we need both quantity and quality as our roster blows in general, I’d rather have one of the top 3 guys.

Hard to say without knowing what Sexton brings on his own.  I like Cunningham, but I think the difference between he and Green/Mobley isn’t huge.  I could easily see either of them being a better player long term.

Yes, and this would be my ideal trade for Sexton.

Love and Sexton would help Philly in the short term, Simmons gives us length and athleticism we lack.  

Agreed on all of these. Honestly, I'd be blowing up Houston's phone right now to get to #2 cause I like Green more than Cunningham, but I get that a lot of people like Mobley more than I do and see it as a big three. 

• Like 1

On 7/4/2021 at 11:26 AM, sdrawkcab321 said:

im disliking Mobley every day. We can’t have this as our future franchise big. 

Rebounding is a team effort. USC averaged 38 rbg and allowed 30. They got 55% of the total rebounds which is insane. Mobleys job is to patrol and he rotates and covers a ton of ground. He doesn't stand near the hoop and hunt for boards. 

He's not the most physical guy and yeah rebounding is probably the only thing on defense he doesn't do at an elite level. But this kid covers the entire floor. Focusing so much on individual rebounds is how guys like Drummond get the bag. Its a team effort and Mobley's defense is an enormous reason so many shots are missed. 

• Like 2

I really think we lucked out getting pick 3. I think 2 is the money spot in this draft. Cade will go #1 because of groupthink but I think Mobley and Green will have better careers. Cade is a poor athlete. Definitely in the bottom half of the NBA, perhaps bottom quartile. He's insanely skilled and insanely smart so he'll be really freaking good, but hes not going to be creating easy looks for himself off the dribble which is a requirement for superstardom as a wing. And if hes not blowing past his man and getting the Defense to scramble it locks a ton of his playmaking potential. 

On 7/3/2021 at 7:07 AM, #32 said:

5/8 for 3 - No way in hell. I think the two best players in the draft are Green and Mobley and we get one of them. I think theres a massive drop from 3 to 4, and then another massive from from there. In most drafts I'd probably do this trade but not this year. There are 3 #1 overall pick talents in this class

3+Sexton for 1 - No because I value Green and Mobley above Cunningham. If I thought Cade was the Luka level talent hes hyped as then yes for sure

Love+Sexon for Simmons - I'm not sure. I think its definitely a step in the right direction but I'm not sure I love Simmons as a culture fit here. If we did a 3-teamer and got something more interesting heading our way I'd be down. 

1 hour ago, roger murdock said:

Rebounding is a team effort. USC averaged 38 rbg and allowed 30. They got 55% of the total rebounds which is insane. Mobleys job is to patrol and he rotates and covers a ton of ground. He doesn't stand near the hoop and hunt for boards. 

He's not the most physical guy and yeah rebounding is probably the only thing on defense he doesn't do at an elite level. But this kid covers the entire floor. Focusing so much on individual rebounds is how guys like Drummond get the bag. Its a team effort and Mobley's defense is an enormous reason so many shots are missed. 

I understand this. But to be THAT low is absolutely a concern. He will most likely be the only real big on a team so you’re gonna need him to be a much better rebounder than that. 

Mobley is not going to be a KG level rebounder but thats OK. He's best patrolling the court and stopping easy buckets. He can close out all the way to the 3-pt line. Our rebound % will increase with him on the team because the opponents FG% will drop significantly. 

This is part of the reason why Drummond is so bad for instance. Drummond has the highest rebound % in NBA history but he's such a bad defender that when hes on the court his teams allow more easy buckets and less available defensive rebounds. Thus, teams typically improve their rebound% when they lose Drummond even when replacing him with guys who aren't good rebounders. 

Edited by roger murdock

5 hours ago, roger murdock said:

Accurate. 

5 hours ago, roger murdock said:

I really think we lucked out getting pick 3. I think 2 is the money spot in this draft. Cade will go #1 because of groupthink but I think Mobley and Green will have better careers. Cade is a poor athlete. Definitely in the bottom half of the NBA, perhaps bottom quartile. He's insanely skilled and insanely smart so he'll be really freaking good, but hes not going to be creating easy looks for himself off the dribble which is a requirement for superstardom as a wing. And if hes not blowing past his man and getting the Defense to scramble it locks a ton of his playmaking potential. 

Yeah like I’ve mentioned several times Cade scares me with his athleticism. And the more I look at Green the more I think he may be the best player from this draft. 

Im starting to see him going number one in a few mock drafts. Like I said awhile ago don’t be surprised if he does. 

And yes Mobley will be a fantastic consolation prize. He’ll be a stud.