Jump to content

Cavaliers Thread: Embrace The Mediocrity


Recommended Posts

The issue with a Porter is he had known maturity issues when we drafted him. In such a case you have 2 options tbh.

1. You have a support plan in place to help the kid grow up and mature and you expect a few lumps along the way.

2. You take that player off your draft board entirely.

Neither is right or wrong, but it has to be one of those.

Taking him and then setting a firm line like a hardass really just indicates you had no real plan with him and essentially wasted an asset, even if he doesn’t work out long term.

These are 18-20 year old kids a lot of the time.  Pretending they’re all grown *** men with the maturity needed to be a professional is comical, especially when you draft someone you know ahead of time isn’t mature enough yet.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The issue with a Porter is he had known maturity issues when we drafted him. In such a case you have 2 options tbh.

1. You have a support plan in place to help the kid grow up and mature and you expect a few lumps along the way.

2. You take that player off your draft board entirely.

Neither is right or wrong, but it has to be one of those.

Taking him and then setting a firm line like a hardass really just indicates you had no real plan with him and essentially wasted an asset, even if he doesn’t work out long term.

These are 18-20 year old kids a lot of the time.  Pretending they’re all grown *** men with the maturity needed to be a professional is comical, especially when you draft someone you know ahead of time isn’t mature enough yet.

100%

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The issue with a Porter is he had known maturity issues when we drafted him. In such a case you have 2 options tbh.

1. You have a support plan in place to help the kid grow up and mature and you expect a few lumps along the way.

2. You take that player off your draft board entirely.

Neither is right or wrong, but it has to be one of those.

Taking him and then setting a firm line like a hardass really just indicates you had no real plan with him and essentially wasted an asset, even if he doesn’t work out long term.

These are 18-20 year old kids a lot of the time.  Pretending they’re all grown *** men with the maturity needed to be a professional is comical, especially when you draft someone you know ahead of time isn’t mature enough yet.

They also gave up on a prospect that they traded F O U R 2nd round picks to get.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

They also gave up on a prospect that they traded F O U R 2nd round picks to get.

Oh absolutely, they invested significantly in the kid with seemingly no actionable plan to develop him off the court, which is where he was really in need of the most development.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Oh absolutely, they invested significantly in the kid with seemingly no actionable plan to develop him off the court, which is where he was really in need of the most development.

Im telling ya, that move set the team back 5 years--at least. KPJ is going to be a absolute stud IF he can mature and stay on the right path.

Not to mention the biggest need they have been trying to solve for is SF. He would have been extremely nice to have.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

These are 18-20 year old kids a lot of the time.  Pretending they’re all grown *** men with the maturity needed to be a professional is comical, especially when you draft someone you know ahead of time isn’t mature enough yet.

True with his incident over the offseason he should have been walking on egg shells. I think they had a plan and he prolly exhausted all his chances. He didn’t deserve the josh gordan treatment 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, buno67 said:

True with his incident over the offseason he should have been walking on egg shells. I think they had a plan and he prolly exhausted all his chances. He didn’t deserve the josh gordan treatment 

I mean, yes, but the problem with immaturity is you don’t recognize what you should and shouldn’t be doing very well.  If you did what you were suppose to, you’d be…. mature.

He was like 19 man. I’m just saying, people that age do dumb ish.  
 

Have you never done anything dumb that could have impacted you professionally when you were young?

Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem is, you have to have a veteran locker room and probably coaching staff in place (culture) to implement the support system.

The Cavs have neither.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a lot of us, both in here and in the NBA draft forum, have been leaning this way, but I just wanted to say once and for all...

I'd take Jalen Green #1 in this draft. I like him and Cunningham both a lot. But Green looked more impressive (IMO) against a higher level of competition this year. I think he's got the higher athletic upside both on offense and defense. Cunningham's length will compensate for a lot of that. I think both are gonna be stars. But I'd take Green right now.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, FGK said:

I think a lot of us, both in here and in the NBA draft forum, have been leaning this way, but I just wanted to say once and for all...

I'd take Jalen Green #1 in this draft. I like him and Cunningham both a lot. But Green looked more impressive (IMO) against a higher level of competition this year. I think he's got the higher athletic upside both on offense and defense. Cunningham's length will compensate for a lot of that. I think both are gonna be stars. But I'd take Green right now.

I dont know if I would go that far with it, but I def. think he is going to be really really good. I would take Cade mainly because of how versitile he is and how many strengths he has. Green is a exceptional scorer and if everything breaks right for him he could become a similar player to James Harden down the road--but his game is pretty one dimensional right now for me to take him over Cade who at least gives me a extremely high floor.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FGK said:

I think a lot of us, both in here and in the NBA draft forum, have been leaning this way, but I just wanted to say once and for all...

I'd take Jalen Green #1 in this draft. I like him and Cunningham both a lot. But Green looked more impressive (IMO) against a higher level of competition this year. I think he's got the higher athletic upside both on offense and defense. Cunningham's length will compensate for a lot of that. I think both are gonna be stars. But I'd take Green right now.

This is a little bit of paralysis from analysis.

Green is good, unquestionably, but I still think Cade is both the better overall player now and safer bet long term.

Now, I don’t think the gap is huge, but short of elite athleticism Cade has zero holes in his game (and it’s not like he’s unathletic, he’s just not Green).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Its hard to tell if Cade is just playing slow/controlled or if he's a genuinely bad athlete. I do think there's a reasonable chance he's a bottom 25% athlete in the NBA for a wing. If he is, he'll still be really good and thats a top-5 pick given his skills and feel. 

 

If Cade can reliably beat his man off the dribble he's a hall of famer. He checks damn near every other box (and is an amazing defender too). I just really, really don't think he will. 

 

This is the Texas game. He did well but he literally doesnt create a single good look for himself off the bounce once all game. Everythings a struggle. 

 

 

Tj

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...