Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

On 7/8/2021 at 3:50 PM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, yes, but the problem with immaturity is you don’t recognize what you should and shouldn’t be doing very well.  If you did what you were suppose to, you’d be…. mature.

He was like 19 man. I’m just saying, people that age do dumb ish.  

Have you never done anything dumb that could have impacted you professionally when you were young?

all true but are we going to chalk everything up to maturity???

Accuse of punching two women in the face in downtown Cleveland in Aug '20, eh, no big deal, hes gotta grow up...

Weapon charges stemming from a car accident in Nov '20, eh, no big deal, hes gotta grow up...

at what point,  do you start appropriately make him start being accountable for his actions?

There is doing dumb stuff and being immature and their is doing the things he was doing...

Im just saying, the Cavs prolly had him on some kind of behavioral plan but lets not act like Koby just got rid of him because of the incident where he blew up in the locker room. If he lost his ish because of that, there were prolly a lot more incidents that they kept in house

We are also acting like we just let this HoF caliber player go because he was filling up the boxscore for Houston. Houston was a worst team than us. Porter, just like Sexton, played on a bad team, a team that was going to need someone to score points when they were going to lose anyways. 

Edited by buno67

21 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

Its hard to tell if Cade is just playing slow/controlled or if he's a genuinely bad athlete. I do think there's a reasonable chance he's a bottom 25% athlete in the NBA for a wing. If he is, he'll still be really good and thats a top-5 pick given his skills and feel. 

If Cade can reliably beat his man off the dribble he's a hall of famer. He checks damn near every other box (and is an amazing defender too). I just really, really don't think he will. 

This is the Texas game. He did well but he literally doesnt create a single good look for himself off the bounce once all game. Everythings a struggle. 

Tj

Just from this game it looks like he has a really hard time turning the corner in his defender because a lack of acceleration/explosion. He often then pushes off and pulls up for a jumper.

He weirdly reminds me of Shaun Livingston with some of those moves because his footwork does look really good.

I have no idea if that lack of first step to get by his defender is going to be a thing that breaks him in the NBA or not. If your not quick, you have to be really crafty sort of like Mike Conley.

17 hours ago, MWil23 said:

The problem is, you have to have a veteran locker room and probably coaching staff in place (culture) to implement the support system.

The Cavs have neither.

I'll go out on a lonely limb and disagree about this. We have a guy named Collin Sexton who is obsessed with the game and getting as good as possible at it. The guy has a relentless work ethic, he's in the gym all the time, even after games, trying to perfect his craft. He has had no problems off the court. We saw how the standard he set led to guys like Garland following him and doing the same. A guy like Sexton would be perfect for KPJ. The problem was, in my opinion, that the organization made the decision to keep him away from the court, and his team, to focus on the other things. Its crazy to me b/c we always hear these stories of athletes saying the game saved them from taking the wrong roads in life, yet here we have a year two guy that gets pulled over and gets a couple minor charges that get reduced even further, and the solution is to remove him from the sport? 

6 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

I'll go out on a lonely limb and disagree about this. We have a guy named Collin Sexton who is obsessed with the game and getting as good as possible at it. The guy has a relentless work ethic, he's in the gym all the time, even after games, trying to perfect his craft. He has had no problems off the court. We saw how the standard he set led to guys like Garland following him and doing the same. A guy like Sexton would be perfect for KPJ. The problem was, in my opinion, that the organization made the decision to keep him away from the court, and his team, to focus on the other things. Its crazy to me b/c we always hear these stories of athletes saying the game saved them from taking the wrong roads in life, yet here we have a year two guy that gets pulled over and gets a couple minor charges that get reduced even further, and the solution is to remove him from the sport? 

He’s only 22 though. (Sexton) I’m taking about a proven longer veteran presence and sustainable locker room culture from the top down. There’s been very little sustained consistency and a lot of turnaround.

43 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

He’s only 22 though. (Sexton) I’m taking about a proven longer veteran presence and sustainable locker room culture from the top down. There’s been very little sustained consistency and a lot of turnaround.

eh, I just think its overrated. Look at the Phoenix Suns. they won 34 games a year ago. their oldest players were Ricky Rubio and Aron Baynes. This year they are two wins away from the title. They added a generational talent in Chris Paul, and a solid veteran in Jae Crowder. are they that much better because they got two veteran players, or are they that much better because the guys they happened to acquire were big upgrades in talent and role, and combined with the development of their youth have given them exactly what they needed? 

We have Love, who won a title with us. We had Delly. We have Nance. We had veterans, and we won 22 games. Nance I believe is a huge culture setter, however every year he seems to go down with an injury. 

Here's where I will agree. we do need veterans on the team. However we need veterans who are going to be available to play on game nights. I think the off court stuff means nothing if they arent available on the court right now. 

14 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

eh, I just think its overrated. Look at the Phoenix Suns. they won 34 games a year ago. their oldest players were Ricky Rubio and Aron Baynes. This year they are two wins away from the title. They added a generational talent in Chris Paul, and a solid veteran in Jae Crowder.

Oh, by no means am I saying to grab veterans for the sake of grabbing veterans. The young talent on Phoenix is undeniable.

Crowder is a consummate pro and good player, and Paul is somehow the most criminally underrated all time great I can remember. Having those guys as glue guys on and off the court with basketball IQ, work ethic, and maturity is a huge double edged sword in a good way.

are they that much better because they got two veteran players, or are they that much better because the guys they happened to acquire were big upgrades in talent and role, and combined with the development of their youth have given them exactly what they needed? 

YES :) 

We have Love, who won a title with us. We had Delly. We have Nance. We had veterans, and we won 22 games. Nance I believe is a huge culture setter, however every year he seems to go down with an injury. 

Love is lazy, has his own demons, not to mention injury issues. Delly, while I love him, is pretty much washed at this point.

Here's where I will agree. we do need veterans on the team. However we need veterans who are going to be available to play on game nights. I think the off court stuff means nothing if they arent available on the court right now. 

I absolutely agree, and by no means did I mean only veterans for the sake of locker room. I’m talking about viable veterans who can PLAY. The Robert Horry, Rick Fox, Bruce Bowen, AC Green, Old Gary Payton’s (circa the Heat 1st title) of this world.

On 7/9/2021 at 10:10 AM, H2ThaIzzo said:

What were the Cavs suppose to do in the offseason then? They kept him away from the team and playing as punishment but what were the Cavs suppose to do in the offseason? Force him to stay in Cleveland or Live with Sexton? The biggest incidents for him happen in the offseason. He was reported on punching 2 women and than his incident with the wreckless driving car accident weeks before the season.

Yes he was kept away from the team but you would think he be on better behavior because youre just comng back from being punished by the team and they are finally letting around the team, that you would be on your best behavior but he lost his ish because they didnt keep his locker in the main area because they had to move him to make room for the new guy. So he blows up and starts spouting off that the franchise/FO is just ‘modern-day slavery because they were holding him out. Also saw that this incident was one of the first incidents between KPJ and the team that actually went public. So makes me think. there were more issues with porter than the incident over the summer, incident right before the season, and the blow up in the locker room. 

On 7/8/2021 at 10:44 PM, AkronsWitness said:

Just from this game it looks like he has a really hard time turning the corner in his defender because a lack of acceleration/explosion. He often then pushes off and pulls up for a jumper.

He weirdly reminds me of Shaun Livingston with some of those moves because his footwork does look really good.

I have no idea if that lack of first step to get by his defender is going to be a thing that breaks him in the NBA or not. If your not quick, you have to be really crafty sort of like Mike Conley.

That is who I thought about too

Supposedly the Knicks are the most interested in Collin Sexton.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2021/07/13/knicks-interested-in-collin-sexton-in-potential-nba-draft-trade/amp/

The article mentions Obi Topin and maybe the 19 or 21st pick in the 1st round.  I'm not sure how I feel about this possible deal but this just came out today.

Peace!!!

21 minutes ago, cortes02 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2021/07/13/knicks-interested-in-collin-sexton-in-potential-nba-draft-trade/amp/

The article mentions Obi Topin and maybe the 19 or 21st pick in the 1st round.  I'm not sure how I feel about this possible deal but this just came out today.

Peace!!!

Hard no. Toppin didn't show anything last year and that pick isn't worth much either. Sexton is a tough fit with our other core players, but he also showed some very real signs of developing into a very efficient, high-volume scorer last year. I get that we won't get full value from him because of both contract timing and our team situation, but I think if you can't do better than that you hold onto him and hope he accepts a role as an overqualified bench scorer.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, cortes02 said:

Peace!!!

Topping, #19 + an unprotected 1st next year I consider. I'm OK with banking on NYK being a 1-year wonder and falling off. They didnt have any health issues, went on an insane tear that I think is unattainable, and have some guys who really popped off. If Randall and Rose return to normal is this team anything? 

With Boston, Toronto, Atlanta, Miami looking like they will pass them in the standings + perhaps other teams like CHA, IND, WAS as well.... I think if theres any team that falls back to a top10 position its them. 

6 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

Topping, #19 + an unprotected 1st next year I consider. I'm OK with banking on NYK being a 1-year wonder and falling off. They didnt have any health issues, went on an insane tear that I think is unattainable, and have some guys who really popped off. If Randall and Rose return to normal is this team anything? 

With Boston, Toronto, Atlanta, Miami looking like they will pass them in the standings + perhaps other teams like CHA, IND, WAS as well.... I think if theres any team that falls back to a top10 position its them. 

We aren’t getting a knicks unprotected first for Sexton. Not a chance in hell. 

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck