Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

8 hours ago, Rod Johnson said:

Some people act like trading Sexton is somehow addition by subtraction and it blows my mind.  He's the best scorer by far, and probably the best player on our team.  If we trade him we need somebody who will fill the void of the best scorer, and player, on our team.  To me it's that simple, and a lot of these trade scenarios being thrown around don't satisfy that. 

The fit with him paired with another short guard is just irrelevant until we become a playoff team.

Exactly. We have seen Portland be a perennial playoff team with two small guards. Utah was a top seed with two small guards. Phoenix is in the finals with a two small guard starting lineup. Its just weird to me that several other teams want to potentially trade for him, but we have no business keeping him. 

1 hour ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

Exactly. We have seen Portland be a perennial playoff team with two small guards. Utah was a top seed with two small guards. Phoenix is in the finals with a two small guard starting lineup. Its just weird to me that several other teams want to potentially trade for him, but we have no business keeping him. 

Devin Booker ain’t small 

2 hours ago, brownie man said:

Devin Booker ain’t small 

sure, he's 6'5" with a 6'8" wingspan. Sexton is 6'1" and his wingspan is only 2" below Bookers. His standing reach is 1" less than Bookers. 

Sexton just needs to learn how to play defense. He doesnt lack effort or intensity, actually sometimes that gets the best of him. Once he learns how to defend the screen, and defend within control, he will be fine. Adding a guy like Mobley to the mix certainly will help. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

sure, he's 6'5" with a 6'8" wingspan. Sexton is 6'1" and his wingspan is only 2" below Bookers. His standing reach is 1" less than Bookers. 

Sexton just needs to learn how to play defense. He doesnt lack effort or intensity, actually sometimes that gets the best of him. Once he learns how to defend the screen, and defend within control, he will be fine. Adding a guy like Mobley to the mix certainly will help. 

Man I think the sooner we accept Collin is not a starting 2 guard on a championship team the better. 

You can try and hope all you want brotha. He’s not that’s guy. On a good team He’s a scoring non distributing PG or a 6th man. 

It just is what it is bro. He needs to take less money and embrace his 6 man role and be the possibly the best one in the league. Or we gotta get some assets for him. I’d prefer to keep him because he is an instant bucket but he has to accept his weaknesses  

6 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Man I think the sooner we accept Collin is not a starting 2 guard on a championship team the better. 

You can try and hope all you want brotha. He’s not that’s guy. On a good team He’s a scoring non distributing PG or a 6th man. 

It just is what it is bro. He needs to take less money and embrace his 6 man role and be the possibly the best one in the league. Or we gotta get some assets for him. I’d prefer to keep him because he is an instant bucket but he has to accept his weaknesses  

It really depends who the other 4 players are.

3 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

It really depends who the other 4 players are.

I’ll tell you we don’t have the 4 to make it work. 

Instantly you’d want a PG with more size. Like if Jalen Suggs were our point that’d be different. But he’s not we got 6’1 Garland who isn’t going anywhere. 

Collin can start on a good team in the right situation but we don’t have that. 

1 hour ago, brownie man said:

I’ll tell you we don’t have the 4 to make it work. 

Instantly you’d want a PG with more size. Like if Jalen Suggs were our point that’d be different. But he’s not we got 6’1 Garland who isn’t going anywhere. 

Collin can start on a good team in the right situation but we don’t have that. 

We don't even have the 4 to make Garland work.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Raves said:

We don't even have the 4 to make Garland work.

But I mean we know that as of right now. But that could change this offeseason

move Okoro to the 2 and draft your 3 boom you’ll need a 4 eventually to fill out the starting 5 but you still have your first next year 

basically Garland and Collin can’t coexist together on a championship level team 

gotta accept that

8 minutes ago, brownie man said:

But I mean we know that as of right now. But that could change this offeseason

move Okoro to the 2 and draft your 3 boom you’ll need a 4 eventually to fill out the starting 5 but you still have your first next year 

basically Garland and Collin can’t coexist together on a championship level team 

gotta accept that

I can accept that, I just think that for Garland to really "work" he needs an elite All-NBA caliber wing.  I think Sexton while flawed in his own ways could make do with easier to accumulate players.

1 hour ago, roger murdock said:

There's 96 guard minutes/game. Garland gets ~34 of them. Sexton is definitely good enough to get another 30. 

You just need someone with size and a shot to eat the rest of them. 

the issue is Garland and Sexton will have to be on the floor at the same time. Sexton has showed he isnt much of an off ball guy. Also Sexton prolly wont be like being moved to the 6th man role in Cleveland, where we forced him to be the franchise player

everyone is spending so much time worrying about the defensive impact having Sexton and Garland has. Nobody has said a word though about the fact that we were the worst scoring team in the league last year. We were the worst 3 point shooting team in the league as well. I'll tell you one player that is not the reason for that issue. Collin Sexton. So you guys essentially want to take our top scorer, who happens to do it very efficiently, and remove him from the team because he happens to be 6'1", and replace him with who? He's improved by nearly 4 PPG every season, and the one knock on him is that he probably doesnt take enough 3 pointers. So we trade him, 25+ points per game gone from the worst scoring team in the league. who are we replacing him with? Kevin Knox and Obi gonna make up the missing points? does Herro step up or does he regress for a second straight season? Who do we bring in that can shoot from outside, something we drastically need? 

If you can show me a trade that makes sense, then I'll listen. but I haven't seen one so far that has. And no, I'm not interested in pairing Sexton with #3 to get #1, or anything like that. We need reliable depth and shooting as much as we need anything else right now. Cedi has been trash. Larry could be a 1st team all defense but he is always injured. Windler hasn't done anything, Stevens I really like, but he does nothing offensively. Okoro I really want to be patient with because I think he has a pretty bright future in the league.

• Like 3

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck