Cavaliers Thread: We Don’t Suck Again!

LETSGOBROWNIES

48 minutes ago, FGK said:

Man, Jalen Green would be such a good backcourt fit with Garland. Garland is the primary distributor and the one who keeps the offense flowing. Green would be (imo) an above average secondary ball handler, but would struggle to be a PG type distributor. And Green has already shown that he's much better shooting within the flow of the offense rather than hold and shoot. And defensively Green is big enough to guard small 3's and fast enough to guard the best 1's, so Garland can hide on the other team's worst offensive player.

I'm starting to lose hope that we get Green. I think Houston/Detroit go Cunningham/Green in some order. And I like Mobley and will be fine with it. But man, Green is freaking special. Like, he's not perfect, he needs to get stronger especially. But EVERYTHING you hear about the guy is that he will 100% put in the work to do it.

Yeah the more I watch of Green the more I fall in love. I think he’s going to be special. 

And I already know the roller coaster of emotions I’ll go thru on draft night. Houston takes Green and I’ll be depressed/pissed. Houston takes Mobley and I’ll be depressed/pissed. But them immediately ecstatic that we are “stuck with” whoever is left! 😂

7 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

^what you just described is a problem with Okoro not a problem with Green

Yep. I'm glad that Okoro developed as the year went along. But I'm not passing on the superstar caliber guy in order to fit around Isaac Okoro. No way. If it was dead even between Mobley/Green for me, then maybe. But I don't think it is (could be wrong obviously), so I'm taking Green and then figuring it out from there.

Garland
Green
Okoro/???
Nance
Allen

For this year, with Sexton, Windler, and Prince as your primary bench guys. That team is bad for one more year, grab a SF in the draft, use the cap room from dumping Love to grab depth at PF/C, and compete for the playoffs in 2023.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, FGK said:

Yep. I'm glad that Okoro developed as the year went along. But I'm not passing on the superstar caliber guy in order to fit around Isaac Okoro. No way. If it was dead even between Mobley/Green for me, then maybe. But I don't think it is (could be wrong obviously), so I'm taking Green and then figuring it out from there.

Garland
Green
Okoro/???
Nance
Allen

For this year, with Sexton, Windler, and Prince as your primary bench guys. That team is bad for one more year, grab a SF in the draft, use the cap room from dumping Love to grab depth at PF/C, and compete for the playoffs in 2023.

I’m personally not entirely convinced Okoro can’t guard 3s. I can’t find the article, but I read one awhile ago that showed individual stats against Okoro where he held his own against the opposing teams biggest threat. Many of them were really good SFs.  

But yeah a back court of Garland and Green would definitely induce chub status. No not that chubb. 

Edited by Bonanza23
😉

7 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

I’m personally not entirely convinced Okoro can’t guard 3s. I can’t find the article, but I read one awhile ago that showed individual stats against Okoro where he held his own against the opposing teams biggest threat. Many of them were really good SFs.  

But yeah a back court of Garland and Green would definitely induce chub status. No not that chubb. 

The ideal awesome scenario is if Okoro can somehow develop into somebody who gets 17+ ppg, then we can start him at the 2.  A jump like that probably won't happen year 2.  His rebounding for a forward is less than ideal even if he can battle on defense at that spot.  Then trading Sexton/Garland doesn't feel as crippling either.

Prince leaves a lot to be desired for a guy his size rebounding too.  As does Cedi.  Our SFs are super depressing, I can almost sympathize with trying to land Kuminga if we weren't so bad overall.

Edited by Rod Johnson
  • Like 2

On 7/23/2021 at 11:27 PM, Rod Johnson said:

The ideal awesome scenario is if Okoro can somehow develop into somebody who gets 17+ ppg, then we can start him at the 2.  A jump like that probably won't happen year 2.  His rebounding for a forward is less than ideal even if he can battle on defense at that spot.  Then trading Sexton/Garland doesn't feel as crippling either.

Prince leaves a lot to be desired for a guy his size rebounding too.  As does Cedi.  Our SFs are super depressing, I can almost sympathize with trying to land Kuminga if we weren't so bad overall.

Okoro's rebounding numbers are relatively low because of how he is played defensively. It's the same thing with Dwyane Wade (NOT comparing the two as players). 95% of the time he is defending his man 1:1, back to the basket, and away from the basket. This could change some, to your point, if he slides to a SF role full time. 

• Like 2

Getting crazy and spitballin' ideas. 

Trade Sexton to GWS for Wiseman and #14

Trade #3 to Toronto for #4 and a 2022 unprotected #1 pick

Draft: 

#4: Jalen Suggs

#14: Jalen Johnson

Free Agency: 

Resign Allen (4 years 85M)

Resign Hartenstein

Sign TJ McConnell

PG: Darius Garland/TJ McConnell

SG: Jalen Suggs/Taurine Prince/Dotson

SF: Isaac Okoro/Dylan Windler/Dean Wade

PF: Larry Nance/Kevin Love/Jalen Johnson

CT: Jarrett Allen/James Wiseman/Hartenstein

We'd have a lot of 2 way potential with young guys all across the board. Suggs/Johnson add a lot of playmaking potential to help with Garland. 

9 hours ago, roger murdock said:

Getting crazy and spitballin' ideas. 

Trade Sexton to GWS for Wiseman and #14

Trade #3 to Toronto for #4 and a 2022 unprotected #1 pick

Draft: 

#4: Jalen Suggs

#14: Jalen Johnson

Free Agency: 

Resign Allen (4 years 85M)

Resign Hartenstein

Sign TJ McConnell

PG: Darius Garland/TJ McConnell

SG: Jalen Suggs/Taurine Prince/Dotson

SF: Isaac Okoro/Dylan Windler/Dean Wade

PF: Larry Nance/Kevin Love/Jalen Johnson

CT: Jarrett Allen/James Wiseman/Hartenstein

We'd have a lot of 2 way potential with young guys all across the board. Suggs/Johnson add a lot of playmaking potential to help with Garland. 

GS would never do that deal. 

and it would be pretty stupid to sign Allen to that deal when we have wiseman. 

11 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

GS would never do that deal. 

and it would be pretty stupid to sign Allen to that deal when we have wiseman. 

Wiseman would be under a rookie contract for most of Allens extension and he needs to learn how to play. Hes a developmental guy for 2 more years. 

I think that trade would make a ton of sense basketball wise for GSW but I learned their salary cap situation is absolutely terrible so theres no way. 

On 7/23/2021 at 3:23 PM, Bonanza23 said:

Okoro has legit already put clamps on some of league’s best wings as a rookie (besides LBJ who torched him). He has the body of a 2 but plays/defends like a 3. Until he becomes a better scorer he’s a better fit at the 3. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Okoro has legit already put clamps on some of league’s best wings as a rookie (besides LBJ who torched him). He has the body of a 2 but plays/defends like a 3. Until he becomes a better scorer he’s a better fit at the 3. 

I disagree I think we need to continue to develop Okoro at his best long term position which in my opinion is at shooting guard. 

Long term I feel he has more value locking down other 2 guards and developing offensively than trying to guard players he isn’t built too guard if you put him at the 3 long term  

On 7/25/2021 at 9:49 AM, H2ThaIzzo said:

Okoro's rebounding numbers are relatively low because of how he is played defensively. It's the same thing with Dwyane Wade (NOT comparing the two as players). 95% of the time he is defending his man 1:1, back to the basket, and away from the basket. This could change some, to your point, if he slides to a SF role full time. 

This. 

16 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

This. I saw an article that showed his stats against the opposing teams best players and it showed Okoro held his own against them. I can’t for the life of me find it. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, brownie man said:

I disagree I think we need to continue to develop Okoro at his best long term position which in my opinion is at shooting guard. 

Long term I feel he has more value locking down other 2 guards and developing offensively than trying to guard players he isn’t built too guard if you put him at the 3 long term  

That’s the thing he is built to take them on. Dude’s jacked.