Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

Mobley has the potential to be an all star. He needs someone like Hakeem to coach him up to NBA standards on both sides of the ball. Also, he needs to put on 50 lbs especially in the legs to hold his position.  You can’t teach length and motivation which Mobley has.  One summer league game is just one pebble in the growth process.  As for Windler, the fact is he can’t stay healthy and at his age this is the make or break season to be a reliable shooter.

3 hours ago, #32 said:

Mobley has the potential to be an all star. He needs someone like Hakeem to coach him up to NBA standards on both sides of the ball. Also, he needs to put on 50 lbs especially in the legs to hold his position.  You can’t teach length and motivation which Mobley has.  One summer league game is just one pebble in the growth process.  As for Windler, the fact is he can’t stay healthy and at his age this is the make or break season to be a reliable shooter.

That would be a dream

• Like 2

15 hours ago, FGK said:

100%. I'm still really hopeful about Mobley and his fit with our current team comp. And what I'm about to say is no knock on him whatsoever. Heck, it's not even a knock on Cunningham (though I'm more worried about him than Mobley for sure). 

I think Green is a superstar by year 3. Like, I think he's a scoring champ candidate by the end of his rookie deal. Some of the stuff he does is so advanced for his age. His athleticism is insane. And every story you hear about the guys is like, "He promised to sell me his kidney if I'd teach him the ins and outs of my NBA level stepbacks." He will do whatever it takes to get better. Mamba mentality to the max. He's going to be incredible.

he is for sure exciting to watch. I think it's easy to get captivated though by the exciting SG that can get hot and score 40 points. You know a guy who we didn't really get excited about that carved out an amazing career and won several titles? Tim Duncan. Dude wasn't vocal (though he did oddly get tossed out of a game once for laughing on the bench), but he was a master craftsmen at his game, and he was one of the best to ever do it. 

Winning is about more than being able to score buckets. Bradley Beal scores buckets. Hell, we have a great bucket scorer on our own team that 90% of y'all want us to get rid of. The real test will be seeing if Green ends up being a good defender as a pro. 

35 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

That would be a dream

He isn't a Hakeem player, and while I won't say it's impossible. I don't think converting him into a interior guy is what's best for the long term. He already has the ability to play inside defensively, and he can rotate with Allen at times to play the post, but with his frame and his athleticism, I think continuing to develop him into a guy that can extend the defense and open up the lanes is the best route. Guys like Durant, who actually had a very similar frame to what Mobley has, or a guy like Nowitski, who took a couple of years to develop but became one of the best Euro players of all time in the NBA. I see Mobley more in that mold than anything, only with superb defensive abilities. I agree, adding strength to his core, and weight will be necessary, but I don't think he's gotta add that much. 

16 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

He isn't a Hakeem player, and while I won't say it's impossible. I don't think converting him into a interior guy is what's best for the long term. He already has the ability to play inside defensively, and he can rotate with Allen at times to play the post, but with his frame and his athleticism, I think continuing to develop him into a guy that can extend the defense and open up the lanes is the best route. Guys like Durant, who actually had a very similar frame to what Mobley has, or a guy like Nowitski, who took a couple of years to develop but became one of the best Euro players of all time in the NBA. I see Mobley more in that mold than anything, only with superb defensive abilities. I agree, adding strength to his core, and weight will be necessary, but I don't think he's gotta add that much. 

That doesn't mean he can't work to perfect his post game in addition to working on his overall game....

18 hours ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

Yeah I don't know why you'd want to risk injury by adding a ton of weight just to force him to play center.  If he can guard 3/4s and some 5s at the weight he's at then it's not a concern.  Focus on getting a 3 point shot instead or posting up well enough that you become an issue for guys who are giving up 4 inches to you.

Especially since we locked Allen up.

Edited by Rod Johnson

4 hours ago, Rod Johnson said:

Yeah I don't know why you'd want to risk injury by adding a ton of weight just to force him to play center.  If he can guard 3/4s and some 5s at the weight he's at then it's not a concern.  Focus on getting a 3 point shot instead or posting up well enough that you become an issue for guys who are giving up 4 inches to you.

Especially since we locked Allen up.

The thing is, he’ll probably add 35-40 pounds over time anyway.  He’s just a kid who is the better part of a decade from getting his man body.

I just think folks need to be patient.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The thing is, he’ll probably add 35-40 pounds over time anyway.  He’s just a kid who is the better part of a decade from getting his man body.

right right right. He just turned 20 years old. Take it from somebody who put about 50lbs on in college from 18-23 years old, you can still grow a ton at that age.

But even if he does, he has the athletic perimeter ability of a SF combined with the post ability of a PF/C. Hes going to be special in 2-3 years once he figures out his niche. Hes going to be the PF for this team for a looooooong time.

Edited by AkronsWitness

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Very true.

I just don't think we need to put him on that Cody Kessler year 2 diet plan.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck