Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

11 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I wouldn’t be shocked if a hard cap became a thing after this.

Dan Gilbert isn’t a moron. Kevin Love will get traded as soon as possible.

Hard cap and no max contracts, it’s the only way to fix this imo.

The 2018-2019 NBA season is legit the Golden State Globetrotters vs 29 Washington Generals.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Hard cap and no max contracts, it’s the only way to fix this imo.

The 2018-2019 NBA season is legit the Golden State Globetrotters vs 29 Washington Generals.

The union will never agree to getting rid of max contracts. They want EVERYBODY getting overpaid. When guys start getting paid what they’re actually worth, scrubs will see a massive pay cut.

Just now, candyman93 said:

The union will never agree to getting rid of max contracts. They want EVERYBODY getting overpaid. When guys start getting paid what they’re actually worth, scrubs will see a massive pay cut.

I think the union may be in for a long lockout then tbh.

29/30 teams can’t be afterthoughts.

1/3 of the league isn’t even trying to win.

This isn’t Jordan and Pippen and solid role players dominating, this is Jordan, Pippen, and Rodman watching Hakeem sign with them followed by Robinson after his injury.

There will be some fun games, but the league lacks competitive balance.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:
20 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I think the union may be in for a long lockout then tbh.

29/30 teams can’t be afterthoughts.

1/3 of the league isn’t even trying to win.

This isn’t Jordan and Pippen and solid role players dominating, this is Jordan, Pippen, and Rodman watching Hakeem sign with them followed by Robinson after his injury.

There will be some fun games, but the league lacks competitive balance.

If the owners don't do "SOMETHING" about this, then the NBA is going to become outrageously boring to watch.  It was bad enough with the team GS already had, but adding Cousins!!!!!  Come on man.

The NBA needs a hard cap, franchise tag, and transition tag like the NFL badly.  

Peace!!!

• Like 1

Inmates truly are running the asylum. Most fan bases will quickly begin to tune out as it becomes obvious they're playing for nothing. Ratings will drop. Interest will wane. Basically, what's the point?

I'm sick of NBA primadonna's being able to demand a trade anytime they feel like it. Thank God for how the NFL structured it's league. It truly is the best system. 

1 hour ago, Bonanza23 said:

Wow the nba is even brokedederer...ererer...estest. 

I almost want all the eastern conference teams to come together and form our own super team ??‍♂️

The entire Eastern Conference All-Star team would get swept by the Warriors. There has never been a bigger joke league in the existence of sports than the NBA is right now. The NBA will absolutely fix this mess. They have to. They're going to lose a ton of viewership this year. Guarantee it.

I actually heard a good idea for how to fix this. Uncap max contracts. Allow teams to pay however much money they want for stars. Don't have a set monetary value attached to a max contract. Durant doesn't go to Golden State for 20 million if the Bulls (random team) offer him 40-50 million. Stars would be all over the NBA. The Cousins one is tricky because he took a hilariously low contract to win a ring. That won't ever go away, but what Cousins did was EXTREMELY RARE.

A hard cap also works.

By the way, I want the Cavs to keep Kevin Love. If we can get something awesome for him, do it. But I'm not unloading him for some random mediocre picks. I want to give Sexton someone to play with. Someone to run pick & rolls/pops with. I don't want him getting in the habit of playing hero ball. Not unless we can get something good for Love. Besides, I think Love is going to be awesome this year with LeBron gone. With him as the sole star, he's going to go off. I bet.

I do want Tyronn Lue and JR Smith gone at all costs. Those two are my least favorite athletes/coaches that have ever resided on one of my teams. Get them the F out of here.

10 hours ago, buno67 said:

Biggest thing he needs to do is bring in a president to be a legit face of this team. Take power away from Dan and give more say about basketball operations. Cavs need their Reily/Johnson type guy. Maybe give Z a promotion. 

It's not going to matter in a small market location. Hell Jordan owns the Hornets and nobody is jumping for joy to play there. Pat Riley could become our president and it wouldn't mean a thing. On the other hand, Koby Altman could become the Lakers president tomorrow and free agents would still be attracted to come there. 

21 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

It's not going to matter in a small market location. Hell Jordan owns the Hornets and nobody is jumping for joy to play there. Pat Riley could become our president and it wouldn't mean a thing. On the other hand, Koby Altman could become the Lakers president tomorrow and free agents would still be attracted to come there. 

Totally right. No player has to play for the unglamorous city that drafts him anymore. Play two-three years, make it known you won't resign, and then publicly demand a trade. Then publicly put out which teams you're willing to resign with, so the rest of the league doesn't even bother making an offer on your player.

The association is screwed. 

6 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

Totally right. No player has to play for the unglamorous city that drafts him anymore. Play two-three years, make it known you won't resign, and then publicly demand a trade. Then publicly put out which teams you're willing to resign with, so the rest of the league doesn't even bother making an offer on your player.

The association is screwed. 

I don't know the perfect solution, but the way baseball does arbitration, and how a team can hold onto its home grown talent longer than the other sports is nice. It's not perfect as the majority of the young budding stars end up bolting for greener pastures at some point. 

The franchise tag in the NFL would be interesting, but with a twist. You could either run it just like the NFL where the team signing the franchise player gives up two #1 picks to do so, or, perhaps you could give the team losing the franchise player via free agency "compensatory draft picks", which could potentially become lottery picks. Imagine when the Thunder lost Durant, and rather than having to take that huge hit and make the Melo deal they did, that they could actually get two first round and possibly lottery picks from losing him. This would drastically benefit your mid-market franchises who keep drafting guys who decide to leave for bigger markets. 

*There would be a system in place that gives the value of the free agent, meaning the Rockets losing Ariza (who probably wouldn't be slotted as their franchise player) wouldn't have the same value for compensatory purposes as LeBron leaving Cleveland. 

*Any team that signs a certain rated free agent voids their franchise delegation compensation. This would prevent major market teams from letting a free agent walk, signing a better player, and getting compensated for the guy leaving. 

You gotta be jealous of GS as a front office though 

they're some killer

and they did it all legit and the right way

Built through the draft, developed a winning culture people wanted to gravitate to, and took advantage of opportunity 

I hate them, but that is exactly how I would build a team

they're playing 2k 

6 hours ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

I know that but besides Lebron, Lakers haven’t attracted a big time player since Shaq I believe. The role players are flocking but it’s been awhile since they landed a big time FA. 

Having a president wouldn’t be a game changer for the Cavs but it sure would help, specially if Gilbert is such a problem like people say but I don’t think he is that big of a problem. 

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck