Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

31 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

What's the point in cap space when we will never be a franchise that's able to attract free agents to come here? As far as Parker goes, we are under the tax threshold now and eligible to take back a S&T player. Let's say we are willing to take a chance and give him a 3 year deal at 15 mil per or something, we could be a partner for them. Would probably have to be a two part deal as I don't think Parker could be traded with other players, but I wouldn't turn him away. 

I'm not trying to go 32-50 this season. We don't need Jabari Parker. He's not going to move the needle on this team at all other than to hamstring us from bringing in better players in the future.

And who knows what stars we might be able to get? If we build up our team through the draft like Golden State did, I'm sure guys would flock here. It's going to take some good drafts no doubt, but I'm assuming we'll be bad enough to get a shot at some of these elite talents for the nexts 2-3 years

6 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I'm not trying to go 32-50 this season. We don't need Jabari Parker. He's not going to move the needle on this team at all other than to hamstring us from bringing in better players in the future.

And who knows what stars we might be able to get? If we build up our team through the draft like Golden State did, I'm sure guys would flock here. It's going to take some good drafts no doubt, but I'm assuming we'll be bad enough to get a shot at some of these elite talents for the nexts 2-3 years

Dude, we had arguably the great player of all time here for two stints and didn't attract players to sign here. there's a reason he left, and it's not just because of LA's scenery. LA recruits itself. Cleveland, though my favorite city in the world, isn't attractive to athletes with millions of dollars. It just isn't I mean if you want us to pull a Memphia and pay 20+ mil to the next Chandler Parsons then by all means go ahead. 20+ Mil for Batum in Charlotte. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

Dude, we had arguably the great player of all time here for two stints and didn't attract players to sign here. there's a reason he left, and it's not just because of LA's scenery. LA recruits itself. Cleveland, though my favorite city in the world, isn't attractive to athletes with millions of dollars. It just isn't I mean if you want us to pull a Memphia and pay 20+ mil to the next Chandler Parsons then by all means go ahead. 20+ Mil for Batum in Charlotte. 

Izzo could not be more right. My birth certificate says Cleveland Ohio. That is where my family and friends live, that's where the Brown's, Cavs, buckeyes and Cavs are. Let's be honest the winters are awful and gloomy, there is no glitz and glamour to Cleveland. 

Cleveland will always be where I'm from, but there is a reason I live in the Florida keys. Ask me why in December. 

It will always be hard for CLE, bud, indy to acquire top level free agents. 

The main reason we couldn’t recruit player to play with Lebron is because of Gilbert and his infamous letter. All you need is one franchise player that has that gravitation personality where if paid enough will come play in Cleveland. They can always like in Cali in the offseason 

Look, I'm not saying we are going to get freaking Kevin Durant in free agency eventually. I'm thinking more along the lines of a Jimmy Butler-esque star. That is 100% doable if we had a legitimately good squad and cap space. Players like that would absolutely come here for a max deal if the team looks like a contender with their addition. I want to keep our options open by not having money tied up in players that won't get us past the 1st round of the playoffs if we're lucky. Waste of time, waste of cap space. Just stay put and pick our spots. Signing a guy like Jabari Parker to a fat contract reeks of a panic move to me. I don't want to panic and get stuck between a rebuild and a 1st round exit. That's what so many bad NBA teams get stuck doing over and over every year. I'd rather not do the Memphis Grizzlies thing.

And we could always trade for a star if we simply cannot sign someone. But you'd need cap space to do that too. I want to be in a good place to fully retool the roster. Signing good players for GREAT money is not going to allow that to happen. And it'll push us further down in the lottery. Boo.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bosko1616 said:

The main reason we couldn’t recruit player to play with Lebron is because of Gilbert and his infamous letter. All you need is one franchise player that has that gravitation personality where if paid enough will come play in Cleveland. They can always like in Cali in the offseason 

Not accurate. Even before 2010, LeBron couldn't get anyone to come here. Ray Allen stayed in mediocre Seattle rather than signing with Cleveland. Michael Redd spurned us to resign in Milwaukee. So we got Larry Hughes. Bron was rumored to have attempted to get Bosh and Wade to sign here in 2010 before he went to Miami, but that didn't happen. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Look, I'm not saying we are going to get freaking Kevin Durant in free agency eventually. I'm thinking more along the lines of a Jimmy Butler-esque star. That is 100% doable if we had a legitimately good squad and cap space. Players like that would absolutely come here for a max deal if the team looks like a contender with their addition. I want to keep our options open by not having money tied up in players that won't get us past the 1st round of the playoffs if we're lucky. Waste of time, waste of cap space. Just stay put and pick our spots. Signing a guy like Jabari Parker to a fat contract reeks of a panic move to me. I don't want to panic and get stuck between a rebuild and a 1st round exit. That's what so many bad NBA teams get stuck doing over and over every year. I'd rather not do the Memphis Grizzlies thing.

And we could always trade for a star if we simply cannot sign someone. But you'd need cap space to do that too. I want to be in a good place to fully retool the roster. Signing good players for GREAT money is not going to allow that to happen. And it'll push us further down in the lottery. Boo.

Jimmy Butler-esque players aren't signing for the Cleveland Cavaliers. Hell Jimmy has a heck of a squad in Minnesota, and now the rumors are swirling that he wants out of there. Probably so he can run to New York, or LA, or one of the star laden cities that NBA franchises exist in. 

On 7/4/2018 at 8:24 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He didn’t have to, they just may not have signed a MLE.

Well the rumor is they told Durant they wouldn’t use the MLE if he signed for a max deal. GSW didn’t want to spend the money. Now look at OKC who is going to pay like $198m in tax hit I believe. Coming from the owner who didn’t want to spend to keep Harden West and Durant together 

34 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

Jimmy Butler-esque players aren't signing for the Cleveland Cavaliers. Hell Jimmy has a heck of a squad in Minnesota, and now the rumors are swirling that he wants out of there. Probably so he can run to New York, or LA, or one of the star laden cities that NBA franchises exist in. 

I think Butler and Irving might go to the Knicks next year. Irving and Butler want to play together and Irving has wanted to play in NY. Butler Irving and Porz would be an amazing trio. They would prolly give Boston a run for their money

17 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I think Butler and Irving might go to the Knicks next year. Irving and Butler want to play together and Irving has wanted to play in NY. Butler Irving and Porz would be an amazing trio. They would prolly give Boston a run for their money

It has some legs, however NYK is going to have to do some dealing if they want to have the cap space available to make that happen. They will need to rid themselves of at least 3 of the 4 contracts of Courtney Lee, Lance Thomas, Joakim Noah and Tim Hardaway Jr to be able to sign those three guys. They'd have to renounce rights or give up Knox, Frank, etc just to be able to sign those 3 guys. It's not impossible, but improbable surely. I'd take the contracts from them if I was able to get Knox and an unprotected first next year to give them cap space. 

14 hours ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

Lebron James did the front office no favors. He is a max contract, he won't sign 4-5 year deals (just 1 and 1s) and he demands a certain cast around him. JR Smith and TT got their contracts because of LBJ wanting them here. The front office then makes garbage time "Win now" trades in order to ensure LBJ wants to stay. The end result is cap space hell. However, it was worth it because we won in 2016. 

I'm sure if we do the smart thing and go into rebuild mode, there is no reason why we cannot add 3 top 10 picks in 2 seasons, shed a ton of cap space in the process and be well under cap and ready to compete again in 2020. I hope Gilbert is just saying we plan on making the playoffs to avoid any talks of we are tanking on purpose. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

7 hours ago, Mastercheddaar said:

Lebron James did the front office no favors. He is a max contract, he won't sign 4-5 year deals (just 1 and 1s) and he demands a certain cast around him. JR Smith and TT got their contracts because of LBJ wanting them here. The front office then makes garbage time "Win now" trades in order to ensure LBJ wants to stay. The end result is cap space hell. However, it was worth it because we won in 2016. 

I'm sure if we do the smart thing and go into rebuild mode, there is no reason why we cannot add 3 top 10 picks in 2 seasons, shed a ton of cap space in the process and be well under cap and ready to compete again in 2020. I hope Gilbert is just saying we plan on making the playoffs to avoid any talks of we are tanking on purpose. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

Us locking up TT and JR had so little to do with who LeBron wanted. Do you really think if we had been in a position to go out and get a better quality SG or C that LeBron would have been like "oh no, this is my squad"? The salary cap was at 70 million in 2015-16. With Bron, Kyrie, Love and Varejao at the time (later traded for Frye), we were basically out of cap space. Letting JR and TT walk at that time, we would have had no viable options on the free agent market to replace them with. Just like how the Warriors benefited from the increase in salary cap, we happened to get hosed by being in the spot we were in one season too early. JR wanted to earn good money on his likely last contract, and TT was either going to get paid by us, or leave, and we didn't have any better options at the time. 

I wish we could have gotten TT to do a partially guaranteed final year like we did with JR. 

• Like 1

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck