Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

2 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I agree, Im just saying Im not taking him over Garland because of his defense when its just as bad as Garlands.

At least Garland has a excuse with his tiny size. Herro is just bad.

Herro’s excuse is he’s 20.  How many 20 year olds are good/great defenders?  

Again, this is a grown man’s league.

Herro has the physical attributes to be a competent defender with time.

38 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I think we just need to wait and see. We already have a Tyler Herro on our roster but his name is Dylan Windler. He just hasnt been healthy.

This whole roster hasnt been healthy or dealing with something. Last year is was the Covid season, this year we have had 60 different lineups with injuries. Love, Drummond, Nance, Allen, Windler all in/out of the lineup on a weekly basis.

I want to see what this team can do next year where everyone is a year older and with hopefully good health.

Herro and windler are nothing alike aside from shooting 3s. 

• Like 1

On 4/12/2021 at 2:45 PM, roger murdock said:

Y’all trippin on Garland. He’s our best prospect by far and is going to be an all star sooner than later. His growth this years been amazing and he’s not nearly as limited as Sexton as. He’s a team first player who plays within the flow of a game. He’ll be 2013/2014 Steph in his prime. 

I’d absolutely re-take him at 5 overall in that draft class. 

I'm actually starting to see the light on this one. Garland and Jarrett Allen are our best prospects moving forward. I don't know if Garland will ever reach those heights you mentioned, but he is a pure, crafty, point guard. He has an arsenal and he's growing confident. His body will mature. He'll be an All-Star if we feature him. Which brings me to my next point:

Sexton probably needs to be traded or moved to the bench. He's a solid player and I LOVE him but it just isn't going to work long term. He's good for our culture and he works tremendously hard but he probably has loftier goals than being a 6th man. We should sell high.

Okoro is a piece. Nance is a piece. 

We need a legit scoring 2 guard that can hold his own shooting and defending. And we need a 4. 

We got options, but really we'll probably fire Kobi/JB. 

8 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Don’t care. Herro is better and can play the 2 without being a massive defensive liability his entire career because of his size. 

Herro was better as a rookie but has regressed horribly this season and is just a mediocre shooter in the perfect situation who can’t defend. 

Garland is a lead playmaker with on and offball potential. Their defensive upsides are the same, both aren’t good at guarding their positions yet. Garland looks worse because he’s paired with Sexton who’s terrible and it creates a massive size mismatch in the backcourt; but that’s a Sexton issue because he’s forced to play offball cause he can’t pass or help teammates score. Herro is surrounded by stud defenders and is his teams weak link.

I loved Herro as a prospect and thought he looked great as a rookie. But he’s taken a massive step back despite being in a golden situation. Circumstance for Garland is terrible yet he’s excelling and growing so quickly. His offensive upside is ridiculous. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

This is true but he still has a ton of talent on his own. Miami doesn’t make that run last year without him. Plus PGs are a hell of a lot easier to find than wings. They’re a dime a dozen. 

Herro is a 15 point off ball scorer with bad defense. Thats the most dime a dozen thing in the league by far. He'll grow into far more than that but just saying dime a dozen means nothing. 

Garland is an actual lead guard. Those are not common, especially ones who can thrive without the ball in their hands and gets the offense in motion. Guys with Garlands handle, passing skills, vision, shooting, and crafty scoring package is rare as hell and when they come together crazy things can happen. 

If I was doing that draft over again I think the top 5 players all go the same way. I'd take Herro 6th overall. But could you imagine if we took Herro? Who's going to dribble and pass for us? There wouldnt be anybody. We'd rely on Sexton and everyone would be complaining about Herro because nobody on the team would get him involved in the offense and we'd have the same crappy defense we do now. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, roger murdock said:

Herro is a 15 point off ball scorer with bad defense. Thats the most dime a dozen thing in the league by far. He'll grow into far more than that but just saying dime a dozen means nothing. 

Garland is an actual lead guard. Those are not common, especially ones who can thrive without the ball in their hands and gets the offense in motion. Guys with Garlands handle, passing skills, vision, shooting, and crafty scoring package is rare as hell and when they come together crazy things can happen. 

If I was doing that draft over again I think the top 5 players all go the same way. I'd take Herro 6th overall. But could you imagine if we took Herro? Who's going to dribble and pass for us? There wouldnt be anybody. We'd rely on Sexton and everyone would be complaining about Herro because nobody on the team would get him involved in the offense and we'd have the same crappy defense we do now. 

THIS. This isn't 2k, we can't just force Sexton to be a PG because he's shorter. He hasn't shown to really be able to develop that aspect of his game. The eye test with Garland is crucial here. He has improved leaps and bounds and still hasn't really got it together. Once he gets some more seasoning and experience, fills out his body a bit, he'll be fine. We can accept him as a guy who can't defend well. We CAN'T accept both he and Sexton sharing the same defensive faults. 

Kinda wild to say that Herro is better just because he got hot for a playoff run. He has regressed. Duncan Robinson is the guy that's gonna get paid down there. I guess if we had Herro, we could have had Cade or Suggs here. But we clearly drafted Sexton for his scoring when we had none. That said, you don't take a PG at 5 the next year unless you either, 1) don't believe in Sexton's longterm PG abilites, or B) believe Garland is just the better prospect of the two. It's a shame we're taking so long to figure this out.

3 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Meanwhile the Cavs out here winning meaningless games. I really have to accept we’re drafting out of the top five and draft a player that’ll put us right square with the dreaded treadmill. 😶

LeSigh

Cavs finally getting healthy just in time to take them out of the playoffs AND the top 10 of the draft.

That's special

11 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Cavs finally getting healthy just in time to take them out of the playoffs AND the top 10 of the draft.

That's special

Yeah it really sucks, a very good top heavy draft and we’re getting good enough to not be good. 

2 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Yeah it really sucks, a very good top heavy draft and we’re getting good enough to not be good. 

the past couple years they had a great record for draft purposes and it did nothing. maybe this year, not having that complete garbage record rewards them with a better draft pick 

5 minutes ago, buno67 said:

the past couple years they had a great record for draft purposes and it did nothing. maybe this year, not having that complete garbage record rewards them with a better draft pick 

Maybe so. But I do know if they sucked properly we’d be picking no less than five. This happens to be a top five heavy draft. The nba has done nothing to stop tanking. 

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck