Cavaliers Thread: We Don’t Suck Again!

LETSGOBROWNIES

22 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Key word 'arguably'.

...but it's not even arguable though...

Hes the best defender in the modern era of basketball. Thats not debatable. I think you can easily say he is top 5 all time and right in the mix with guys like Rodman, Hakeem, Mutumbo, ect.

Scottie Pippen is worlds better, and it's not even that close. He's not in the mix with any of them. I'd even take prime MJ over him by a lot.

He was a 4X DPOY and had a 17 year NBA career strictly because of how good he was on defense. He has the most DPOY awards in NBA history, tied with Mutumbo.

...so? No one has played defense since the 1990s, especially with the new defensive rules since 2001.

Its really not that outlandish of a take.

Yeah, it really is though.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

...but it's not even arguable though...

Scottie Pippen is worlds better, and it's not even that close. He's not in the mix with any of them. I'd even take prime MJ over him by a lot.

...so? No one has played defense since the 1990s, especially with the new defensive rules since 2001.

Yeah, it really is though.

Scottie Pippen is more versatile because of his position. He is not better overall nor did he have a higher peak than Ben IMO

Ben Wallace won DPOY 4 times in 5 years. That was also in a league with prime Ron Artest, Tim Duncan, Bruce Bowen and Kevin Garnett. Scottie Pippen doesnt have the accolades. He was great, but not better than Ben Wallace.

Ben Wallace was the most intimidating defensive force in the NBA, moreso than Kevin Garnett. Offenses in the playoffs would gameplan against Ben Wallace, nobody in the 90s was stressing out about Pippens defense when they played the Bulls. Pippens defense was like Miami version of LeBrons defense. Yeah it was really good, but it wasnt something teams spent hours gameplanning over.

Edited by AkronsWitness

On 4/16/2021 at 2:01 PM, AkronsWitness said:

Scottie Pippen is more versatile because of his position. He is not better overall nor did he have a higher peak than Ben IMO

Ben Wallace won DPOY 4 times in 5 years. That was also in a league with prime Ron Artest, Tim Duncan, Bruce Bowen and Kevin Garnett. Scottie Pippen doesnt have the accolades. He was great, but not better than Ben Wallace.

Ben Wallace was the most intimidating defensive force in the NBA, moreso than Kevin Garnett. Offenses in the playoffs would gameplan against Ben Wallace, nobody in the 90s was stressing out about Pippens defense when they played the Bulls. Pippens defense was like Miami version of LeBrons defense. Yeah it was really good, but it wasnt something teams spent hours gameplanning over.

I’ve always disliked these award arguments. Just because he was the best defender those years doesn’t mean he’s better than others in a historical sense. He wasn’t a good switcher. He wasn’t asked to do much expect stay under the basket block shots and rebounds. Which he was very good at. But he never had to take the best player on other team and shadow them all game like others have. 

Ben Wallace was amazing at switching. He was a far better help defender than he was a man defender. Hell Sheed would guard the post players usually and allow Ben to roam. 

Defensive bigs add so much more value than top defensive wings. Yeah your assignment is easier but you also are guarding the entire team instead of 1 player. And you can't be taken off your assignment by a screen. Nowadays everyone switches everything. And good perimeter players will get theirs regardless. Even in todays era where nobody scores in the post defensive bigs always have better defensive impact. 

I wouldn't call Ben the best defender ever, but I definitely think hes the best defender of the last 20 years. 

10 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I use to firmly be on team Sexton. Starting to slide to team garland now. He’s become a much better real PG. plenty of good SGs in this draft so Sexton will have to be on his way out unless he’s ok with going to the bench. Which I doubt. 

3gvbze.gif

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I’ve always disliked these award arguments. Just because he was the best defender those years doesn’t mean he’s better than others in a historical sense. He wasn’t a good switcher. He wasn’t asked to do much expect stay under the basket block shots and rebounds. Which he was very good at. But he never had to take the best player on other team and shadow them all game like others have. 

yeah he was surrounded by good defenders. Wallace was an annoying defender like Draymond. Tyshun Prince was an elite wing defender, Rip was a solid defender and Billups was one of the best defensive guards in the league. they all made Wallace’s job easier