Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

8 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Maybe so. But I do know if they sucked properly we’d be picking no less than five. This happens to be a top five heavy draft. The nba has done nothing to stop tanking. 

nba cant magically fix tanking or what looks like tanking. they had a bunch of bad team and then changed the rules. so now you have really bad teams not getting the talent they need to get better. 

honestly think their are too many teams and talent gets too watered down. i also believe they should do an MLB type draft. you either go straight out of HS or 3 yrs in college. let these guys develop more. I think that would help teams get more polished players in at least outside the top tier

8 hours ago, buno67 said:

nba cant magically fix tanking or what looks like tanking. they had a bunch of bad team and then changed the rules. so now you have really bad teams not getting the talent they need to get better. 

honestly think their are too many teams and talent gets too watered down. i also believe they should do an MLB type draft. you either go straight out of HS or 3 yrs in college. let these guys develop more. I think that would help teams get more polished players in at least outside the top tier

The watering down imo is because of the cap though imo.  You can’t allow 3 max contracts on one team.  

The NFL has it figured out the best right now.  No max deal, hard cap. The lack of fully guaranteed contracts also helps as mistakes can be corrected easier.

11 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

Maybe so. But I do know if they sucked properly we’d be picking no less than five. This happens to be a top five heavy draft. The nba has done nothing to stop tanking. 

On somewhat of a positive note- the SFs and wings in this draft are all projected to go from 6-12, assuming the Cavs actually draft for need. I know nothing about them but guys like Johnathan Kuminga, Jalen Johnson, Scottie Barnes are all in that after the top 5 but still in the lottery range. Likely where the Cavs pick will land.

Edited by AkronsWitness

5 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The watering down imo is because of the cap though imo.  You can’t allow 3 max contracts on one team.  

The NFL has it figured out the best right now.  No max deal, hard cap. The lack of fully guaranteed contracts also helps as mistakes can be corrected easier.

that would be the best thing, eliminate the max contracts. set a hard cap, no more soft cap crap. no more caps on a contract. if a team wants to spend $50m on lebron, let them do that and let that player get paid, but force that team to figure out how to make the cap work. 

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

that would be the best thing, eliminate the max contracts. set a hard cap, no more soft cap crap. no more caps on a contract. if a team wants to spend $50m on lebron, let them do that and let that player get paid, but force that team to figure out how to make the cap work. 

Yeah spread the stars around instead of having them concentrated on a few teams.

it also allows for a Pistons-like team of no “superstars” but 5 quality starters to potentially compete for a title.

It would make for a much better regular season, easier to rebuild and harder to have a dynasty, etc.

If the league just wants super teams, they might as well downsize to about 5 teams.

4 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

On somewhat of a positive note- the SFs and wings in this draft are all projected to go from 6-12, assuming the Cavs actually draft for need. I know nothing about them but guys like Johnathan Kuminga, Jalen Johnson, Scottie Barnes are all in that after the top 5 but still in the lottery range. Likely where the Cavs pick will land.

That’s kind of what I’m saying, the wings after pick five have a chance to be ok to good. Perfect type of player to gain more treadmill status. It’ll suck not getting top five. Those players all have a chance to be stars. 

Oh and Kuminga is easily a top five player. Dude is super young and talented. 

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah spread the stars around instead of having them concentrated on a few teams.

it also allows for a Pistons-like team of no “superstars” but 5 quality starters to potentially compete for a title.

It would make for a much better regular season, easier to rebuild and harder to have a dynasty, etc.

If the league just wants super teams, they might as well downsize to about 5 teams.

Actually the more I think about it this could work. Do this and get rid of the lottery could make things fair again and much more entertaining. Which I miss in the NBA. 

9 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

Actually the more I think about it this could work. Do this and get rid of the lottery could make things fair again and much more entertaining. Which I miss in the NBA. 

The difference is those Pistons "no superstars" teams were still stars.

Chauncey Billups was a 3x All Star

Ben Wallace was a 4x All Star and DPOY

Rasheed Wallace was a 2x All Star

Rip Hamilton was a 2x All Star

Also in 2005 all 4 of them made the EC All Star team at the same time.

8 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

The difference is those Pistons "no superstars" teams were still stars.

Chauncey Billups was a 3x All Star

Ben Wallace was a 4x All Star and DPOY

Rasheed Wallace was a 2x All Star

Rip Hamilton was a 2x All Star

Also in 2005 all 4 of them made the EC All Star team at the same time.

I mean, there’s a big difference between a guy who makes an all star team and what we think of as a guy that you’d view as the foundation of a current title contender.

Those guys also made all star teams in large part due to the collective success they shared.  They got there based on team success much more so than personal accomplishments.

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, there’s a big difference between a guy who makes an all star team and what we think of as a guy that you’d view as the foundation of a current title contender.

Those guys also made all star teams in large part due to the collective success they shared.  They got there based on team success much more so than personal accomplishments.

Somewhat. Ben Wallace is arguably the greatest defensive player of all time. Chauncy Billups was also one of the leagues best PGs for almost a decade even when he went to Denver. He was also a MVP finalist in 2005. Sheed' was also a 2x All Star with Portland before he even went to Detroit.

Rip Hamilton yes probably received some accolades because of team success

Edited by AkronsWitness

3 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Ben Wallace is arguably the greatest defensive player of all time.

BRO...not even the best defensive big man. Hakeem the Dream would eat his lunch, not to mention dudes like Russell, Pippen as a wing, and even Rodman as a forward.

I'd even take David Robinson and Dikembe Motumbo over him by A LOT.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

BRO...not even the best defensive big man. Hakeem the Dream would eat his lunch, not to mention dudes like Russell, Pippen as a wing, and even Rodman as a forward.

I'd even take David Robinson and Dikembe Motumbo over him by A LOT.

Key word 'arguably'. Hes the best defender in the modern era of basketball. Thats not debatable. I think you can easily say he is top 5 all time and right in the mix with guys like Rodman, Hakeem, Mutumbo, ect.

He was a 4X DPOY and had a 17 year NBA career strictly because of how good he was on defense. He has the most DPOY awards in NBA history, tied with Mutumbo.

Its really not that outlandish of a take.

Edited by AkronsWitness

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck