Cavaliers Thread: We Don’t Suck Again!

LETSGOBROWNIES

22 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

Amico only ****s on the Cavs because he has no connections to the team so the only way he gets reads is by stirring the pot. He can be freely ignored. 

Hitting top-3 in the lotto is absolutely crucial for us. We need a top3 pick to lock in Green/Mobley/Cunningham. They are the 3 best fits for our team and what we want and need to do. Pick 4 might be OK cause someone probably takes Suggs 2nd or 3rd. 

Main questions for the team right now: 

1. What kind of contracts are Sexton and Allen worth? Neither are max players. I'm concerned someones going to offer a boatload to Allen this offseason, if that happens we have to find a trade or let him walk. Sexton we have an extra year on. Maxing him would be dumb but he deserves and has earned a nice deal. 

2. What to do with Love? Theres not many trades out there that make sense. Only thing I can think of that might work for both teams is Love + Sexton for Porzingus + Brunson + pick. Sexton and Luka are perfect matches and they get out of KPs awful deal. I doubt either team agrees to this though. Love most likely has to get bought out. 

3. How will nepotism effect us? Right now we have JB as head coach because his dads a Sr Advisor. JB never should have been hired as an assistant with his dad in the front office because now we might have to either fire both, or wait for his dad to die before letting JB go. In additional Gilberts son seems to be taking over but theres less we can do about that. 

4. How do we round out this roster. Garland looks like a legit all star someday. We need that 1A to his 1B. Sexton can be a dynamite #3 coming off the bench. Something like Garland/Okoro/Green or Cunningham/Nance/Allen looks really solid with Sexton, Prince, Hart and others off the bench

I agree about Amico completely. Chris Fedor, as much as he can drive me crazy at times, is the guy I tend to listen to when it comes to Cavs news. 

For Collin and Allen, honestly I don't think it really matters what we pay them. The NBA is a league where the free agents will flock to go to LA, Miami, and the other major markets or best run/top contending teams. Cap space is essentially a myth to most teams. I just can't think of a scenario where in the next few years there would be a legit solid free agent wanting to come here. 

I could potentially see Golden State pending Klay's health doing something like Wiggins+Looney+2021 1st for Love+Nance. 

There are some really solid players this year, but as of right now, if we can't get Cunningham, then Mobley is the guy I really want. I see him being an extremely solid stretch PF that has the potential, and more size, to be Chris Bosh like. I'm also not a fan of putting Collin on the bench. In my mind I'm trying to recall the last time a team told a 25 PPG scorer to come off the bench. The two small guard lineup can work, I think its glaring right now that we just don't have the right staff to execute it. 

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Keep on tankin 

Really hope we have a new HC next year but I have no faith in Gilbert to find one. Should get a new GM too but Gilbert won’t fire his puppet. 

how do we know JB is the problem? he has a crap and incomplete roster to work with.

2 minutes ago, buno67 said:

how do we know JB is the problem? he has a crap and incomplete roster to work with.

He is also crap. His scheme is garbage. This is the same man who tried to play Drummond and javel together. There’s no sense of direction on offense. He’s just not meant to be a HC. 

36 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

He is also crap. His scheme is garbage. This is the same man who tried to play Drummond and javel together. There’s no sense of direction on offense. He’s just not meant to be a HC. 

did he try to make it happen? was it crap he was throwing against the wall to see if something stick, or throwing guys out there cause everyone else is playing like Garbage? Drummond and Javale played a total of 36mins together over) a span of 8 games. its not like it was his go to line up. im curious if this was also the time where there was no love or nance, so what other bigs is he throwing out there. not like he had a hard on for playing the big guys like thar Javale and Allen only played 11mins together, and Allen and Drummond played a total of 75 mins together. Again with Love and Nance out for stretches at a time, who else is going to play.

the roster is garbage. I at least would like to see JB working with a better roster. also if they do fire him, they wont land a decent coach. it be a JB level of coach anyways

16 minutes ago, buno67 said:

did he try to make it happen? was it crap he was throwing against the wall to see if something stick, or throwing guys out there cause everyone else is playing like Garbage? Drummond and Javale played a total of 36mins together over) a span of 8 games. its not like it was his go to line up. im curious if this was also the time where there was no love or nance, so what other bigs is he throwing out there. not like he had a hard on for playing the big guys like thar Javale and Allen only played 11mins together, and Allen and Drummond played a total of 75 mins together. Again with Love and Nance out for stretches at a time, who else is going to play.

the roster is garbage. I at least would like to see JB working with a better roster. also if they do fire him, they wont land a decent coach. it be a JB level of coach anyways

He’s been given a roster full of **** talent with zero structure.  It’s a bunch of role players at best.

14 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He’s been given a roster full of **** talent with zero structure.  It’s a bunch of role players at best.

I agree the talent isn’t there. But the coaching also isn’t. I mean we didn’t keep bryon Scott around just because he had crap talent. It’s not hard to identify a bad coach. And he’s a bad coach. 

12 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I agree the talent isn’t there. But the coaching also isn’t. I mean we didn’t keep bryon Scott around just because he had crap talent. It’s not hard to identify a bad coach. And he’s a bad coach. 

Maybe, but it think success in the NBA has very little to do with coaching.  

Find a guy that players respect and go from there.

There’s no scheme or strategy that makes up for ****ty talent nor does coaching honestly impede talent unless the players just can’t stand them.

31 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Maybe, but it think success in the NBA has very little to do with coaching.  

Find a guy that players respect and go from there.

There’s no scheme or strategy that makes up for ****ty talent nor does coaching honestly impede talent unless the players just can’t stand them.

I disagree about coaching not really mattering that much. Look at the knicks this year. That’s a bottom 5 roster and thibs has made them into a playoff team and 4 seed right now. Miami hasn’t had great talent over the years but spo has gotten them to the playoffs almost every year.

Coaching matters a ton. JB Bickerstaff is basically Mark Jackson without the homophobia and toxic attitude. He gets the boys to play hard and is developing the young guys but there’s no system whatsoever and nobody is learning how to play as a team. GSW went from a 2nd round ceiling to ATG team by firing him and putting in someone who schemed around his players strengths. 

Look at Spo, Pop, Carlisle, etc. They change their schemes around whoever they have. Look at Thibs, McMillian, etc they consistently get their talent to overachieve.

The most alarming this about this team is that at the start of the season we were playing excellent team ball, both on defense and offense. We had a top ranked D that was rotating like crazy. We had a high motion offense and it wasn’t uncommon for multiple players to have 5+ assists a game. We were leading the NBA in assists for like 15 games. Now we are last. The change is we stopped running a system. It’s like the longer JB coaches us the less coached we look. All we do are dribble handoffs with Sexton and Garland and have them ISO. It’s a shame too because in aggregate we can be a decent movement team. Love and Okoro are good passers for forwards but they basically get relegated to spot up duty. Sexton has to create too much and it’s not his game. There’s no energy on defense anymore either. 

I give JB one more year as we can’t just fire him when the guys are playing hard. It looks bad for acquiring a new coach. But JB never should have been hired as an assistant. His dads a Sr advisor on the team, so we either need to wait for his dad to die or fire both if we want to move on. And JB has a nasty habit of having the team quit on the HC, getting them fired, and then taking over. This is his 3rd successful mutiny. Nepotism got him in the door. 

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I disagree about coaching not really mattering that much. Look at the knicks this year. That’s a bottom 5 roster and thibs has made them into a playoff team and 4 seed right now. Miami hasn’t had great talent over the years but spo has gotten them to the playoffs almost every year.

Spo is a horrible comparison. he had never came close to working with a Cavs level roster. 

yeah knicks dont have bottom 5 roster. they have a young and talented roster and paired with a good coach and some good vets. Cavs dont have anything like that. also if Thibs was a truly great coach, he would have had a better time with Minny. I just think Knicks are turning a corner cause Dolan is leaving them alone and focusing on the rangers. hence why the rangers are a dumpster fire 

Lol, there really isn't a single team in the NBA right now that is in a worse place than us. At least others bottom out and move on. 

We're stuck in this place where we show enough promise to win a few games, and then we realize we overachieved a bit and then get stuck in the 5-8th worse record year after year after year. 

We have to assume the FO is complacent. We have to assume the locker room is toxic. We have to assume the coaching is inept. I do think they have drafted fairly well, but I think our best piece moving forward is Garland. I love love love Sexton but long-term he and Garland haven't proven they can make it work. Sexton is a great player, but he and Garland together are a liability. We need to find someone committed to making it work, or the other shoe needs to drop for them. We have a couple of great prospects, but the NBA is trending bigger at the guard right now. There isn't a way around that. No one else is really starting two smaller Guards like that other than Portland, and they haven't been that great either. 

We're a mess. 

2 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I’m not saying it’s irrelevant, but a good coach doesn’t win you a ring.  Doesn’t do much other than maybe make a middling team somewhat relevant.

We don’t even have a middling team at this point tbh.  Firing a coach doesn’t move the needle imo.

Nothing moves the needle in any significant manner other than a huge increase in talent.

• Like 1