Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

17 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

I can see it, Gilbert doesnt tolerate losing for long. Good or bad.

I like JB Bickerstaff, but the team could really use a veteran coach with a track record of winning. Maybe even somebody like Mark Jackson. Look at what guys like Nate McMillian and Thibs are doing with young teams.

Edited by AkronsWitness

42 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I like JB Bickerstaff, but the team could really use a veteran coach with a track record of winning. Maybe even somebody like Mark Jackson. Look at what guys like Nate McMillian and Thibs are doing with young teams.

Yeah the biggest thing I got out of that rumor is they want to install veteran leadership to oversee everything. Would be good and makes sense. 

I was kind of anti-Kuminga in my head now for a while, but I've seen the light on him. I just hadn't seen much other than his highlights. I think he has a lot of defensive potential. My 'guy' right now is Mobley, but I also really really like Jalen Green and Kuminga as consolation prizes. 

And if we're being real here, we can absolutely take Cade or Jalen Suggs if they're around for us. Both of those guys are beasts and 6'5. I would finally get my tall guard I dream of. 

Pretty much any pick this year in the top 8-9 guys is gonna give us some much needed height. None of these short dudes like the last draft.

So far as first time head coaches go:

-Jordi Fernandez

- David Adelman

- Wes Unseld Jr

- Charles Lee

tl;dr highly sought after denver and milwaukee assistants

For retreads: 

- Kenny Atkinson (I like him most) 

- Dave Joerger: I really like Joerger and think he is one of the most underrated coaches in the league, but he "flamed out" when Memphis traded everyone and wanted to rebuild. Then, he "flamed out" in Sacremento, where they haven't had a decent coach in 20 years. unless you count Mike Malone, whom showed his obvious potential, a connection to their biggest star, and thus, was promptly relieved of his duties. tl;dr I don't question him, I question our overall stability as a franchise and our ability to make him last.

5 hours ago, carl_sjunior said:

I was kind of anti-Kuminga in my head now for a while, but I've seen the light on him. I just hadn't seen much other than his highlights. I think he has a lot of defensive potential. My 'guy' right now is Mobley, but I also really really like Jalen Green and Kuminga as consolation prizes. 

And if we're being real here, we can absolutely take Cade or Jalen Suggs if they're around for us. Both of those guys are beasts and 6'5. I would finally get my tall guard I dream of. 

Pretty much any pick this year in the top 8-9 guys is gonna give us some much needed height. None of these short dudes like the last draft.

So far as first time head coaches go:

-Jordi Fernandez

- David Adelman

- Wes Unseld Jr

- Charles Lee

tl;dr highly sought after denver and milwaukee assistants

For retreads: 

- Kenny Atkinson (I like him most) 

- Dave Joerger: I really like Joerger and think he is one of the most underrated coaches in the league, but he "flamed out" when Memphis traded everyone and wanted to rebuild. Then, he "flamed out" in Sacremento, where they haven't had a decent coach in 20 years. unless you count Mike Malone, whom showed his obvious potential, a connection to their biggest star, and thus, was promptly relieved of his duties. tl;dr I don't question him, I question our overall stability as a franchise and our ability to make him last.

We’re golden if we just land top 5. 

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

I agree. Its time though for some ping pong ball luck back in our favor. Im tired of getting 2-3 spots below what our seed actually was by bad luck. 

We need Gilbert's kid representing us at the lottery again.

3 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

I agree. Its time though for some ping pong ball luck back in our favor. Im tired of getting 2-3 spots below what our seed actually was by bad luck. 

In 2018 the only guy I would definitively take over Sexton if we were redrafting would be Luka. Young, Porter Jr., Mikal Bridges and Ayton are all close to me, I love Bridges efficiency and defense, Porter Jr. is going to be a stud in the future. 

In 2019, obviously Zion, and then Deandre Hunter are the only guys I'd consider redrafting over Garland. 

In 2020 Ball, Edwards, and Haliburton would be guys I'd consider taking over Okoro. 

Even though the ping pong ball didnt fall in our favor pick wise, I think who we picked worked out pretty well overall. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

In 2018 the only guy I would definitively take over Sexton if we were redrafting would be Luka. Young, Porter Jr., Mikal Bridges and Ayton are all close to me, I love Bridges efficiency and defense, Porter Jr. is going to be a stud in the future. 

In 2019, obviously Zion, and then Deandre Hunter are the only guys I'd consider redrafting over Garland. 

In 2020 Ball, Edwards, and Haliburton would be guys I'd consider taking over Okoro. 

Even though the ping pong ball didnt fall in our favor pick wise, I think who we picked worked out pretty well overall. 

Yeah we've actually drafted really well. I think Sexton/Garland/Okoro are all super talented. Aka not busts.

The problem is coaching on the floor. I think we can do WAY more to maximize some of these guys. Especially Allen who I feel like we don't use nearly enough. Having him be a Tristan Thompson doppelganger is underutilizing his skills.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2021 at 8:27 PM, AkronsWitness said:

Yeah we've actually drafted really well. I think Sexton/Garland/Okoro are all super talented. Aka not busts.

The problem is coaching on the floor. I think we can do WAY more to maximize some of these guys. Especially Allen who I feel like we don't use nearly enough. Having him be a Tristan Thompson doppelganger is underutilizing his skills.

I couldn't agree more. Allen is more than a roleplayer and rebounder, his efficiency and athleticism should be leveraged way more. 

The ONE guy that I really wish we had gotten last year was Jeramai Grant. His scoring ability paired with his ability to defend would have been amazing for this team. 

I'm really hoping that at the very least the Cavaliers get a top 5 pick & are able to draft either Jalen Green or Jonathan Kuminga.  

I would also love to see the Cavaliers somehow get an extra pick in the 1st round to somehow draft Scottie Barnes.  I think he's being a bit underrated & can be a difference maker.

Peace!!!

On 5/18/2021 at 7:27 PM, AkronsWitness said:

Watching the Warriors w/o Curry and Green on the floor during Q2/Q4 of last nights game, basically playing 5 scrubs who cant run an offense last night, was a revelation. They were still playing a high motion offense. There was so much activity from every single player on the roster. Ball movement, off ball screens, cutting. They even expanded their lead on the Lakers, who had LeBron on the court, by about 5 points during a 6 minute stretch. 

Its a shame we stopped doing a motion offense after 5-10 games and turned into an ISO offense without any good ISO players. JB is just the worst. Our guys play hard but they legit aren't being taught ANYTHING. 

On 5/17/2021 at 2:39 PM, AkronsWitness said:

yeah but he is one of the reasons they are in this position. I really dont think it was koby’s idea to throw the max at Love. Belien hire reeks of doing it for Dan

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

yeah but he is one of the reasons they are in this position. I really dont think it was koby’s idea to throw the max at Love. Belien hire reeks of doing it for Dan

Fair, he needs to be more hands off. However, how Altman handled 1) Drummond 2) KPJ and 3) Loves contract there is more than enough firable offenses there.

He has drafted well given the position they have been in and they made a great move with Allen. The problem lies in those other 3 areas where it REALLY set the team back years and years

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck