Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

3 hours ago, buno67 said:

the issue is Garland and Sexton will have to be on the floor at the same time. Sexton has showed he isnt much of an off ball guy. Also Sexton prolly wont be like being moved to the 6th man role in Cleveland, where we forced him to be the franchise player

I just don't see it as big of a deal as you guys are making it out to be.  I can see a scenario where a big rotation that includes Allen, Nance, Mobley helps offset that by having really mobile rim protection and switch ability in the pnr.  It's much worse to have poor floor spacing or only have 1 player on the court who can get their own shot.  There is way too much talent in the game to expect a backcourt of Garland/Okoro and either some 3/D wing or a lane clogger at the 3 to be able to keep up with good teams, even if you're playing great defense.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

everyone is spending so much time worrying about the defensive impact having Sexton and Garland has. Nobody has said a word though about the fact that we were the worst scoring team in the league last year. We were the worst 3 point shooting team in the league as well. I'll tell you one player that is not the reason for that issue. Collin Sexton. So you guys essentially want to take our top scorer, who happens to do it very efficiently, and remove him from the team because he happens to be 6'1", and replace him with who? He's improved by nearly 4 PPG every season, and the one knock on him is that he probably doesnt take enough 3 pointers. So we trade him, 25+ points per game gone from the worst scoring team in the league. who are we replacing him with? Kevin Knox and Obi gonna make up the missing points? does Herro step up or does he regress for a second straight season? Who do we bring in that can shoot from outside, something we drastically need? 

If you can show me a trade that makes sense, then I'll listen. but I haven't seen one so far that has. And no, I'm not interested in pairing Sexton with #3 to get #1, or anything like that. We need reliable depth and shooting as much as we need anything else right now. Cedi has been trash. Larry could be a 1st team all defense but he is always injured. Windler hasn't done anything, Stevens I really like, but he does nothing offensively. Okoro I really want to be patient with because I think he has a pretty bright future in the league.

Agree.

Why throw away your most productive talent for a marginal increase in what he produces?

I say get Green if you can -- he probably is the closest thing to a generational player in this draft -- and work it out.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Raves said:

We don't even have the 4 to make Garland work.

This.

We could run that backcourt back this year and find that it would be easier to build a roster that includes Sexton instead of Garland, if you want to presume they can't co-exist at all.

8 hours ago, brownie man said:

I’ll tell you we don’t have the 4 to make it work. 

Instantly you’d want a PG with more size. Like if Jalen Suggs were our point that’d be different. But he’s not we got 6’1 Garland who isn’t going anywhere. 

Collin can start on a good team in the right situation but we don’t have that. 

We could trade Sexton for spare parts in Toppin, Knox, Herro, or others that don't move the needle at all.

Or we could try:

Adding some shooters since we were one of the worst shooting teams in the league.

Adding 2-3 bench players, especially somebody who can initiate any offense, since our bench is putrid.

Platooning some mobile rim protectors that could help our undersized backcourt on defense.

Finding a bonafide 3 that can defend his size and shoot.

Seeing if Collin Sexton continues to ascend into one of the best scorers in the NBA.

Seeing if Darius Garland can play consistently and stay healthy.

Seeing if Okoro can make massive leaps in his game to where starting him at the 2 wouldn't be eye smoldering bad offense.

Even if some of the relative scrubs that are being thrown around could fill those roles, by losing Sexton, that's like cutting off a baby's leg to teach it to walk.  Some of those dudes played 10 mpg last year, no thank you.

Edited by Rod Johnson
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

We could trade Sexton for spare parts in Toppin, Knox, Herro, or others that don't move the needle at all.

Or we could try:

Adding some shooters since we were one of the worst shooting teams in the league.

Adding 2-3 bench players, especially somebody who can initiate any offense, since our bench is putrid.

Platooning some mobile rim protectors that could help our undersized backcourt on defense.

Finding a bonafide 3 that can defend his size and shoot.

Seeing if Collin Sexton continues to ascend into one of the best scorers in the NBA.

Seeing if Darius Garland can play consistently and stay healthy.

Seeing if Okoro can make massive leaps in his game to where starting him at the 2 wouldn't be eye smoldering bad offense.

Even if some of the relative scrubs that are being thrown around could fill those roles, by losing Sexton, that's like cutting off a baby's leg to teach it to walk.  Some of those dudes played 10 mpg last year, no thank you.

you said it perfectly. We have a huge hole with having no PG to come play minutes off the bench. and no people, the answer isn't to get Sexton to be our 6th man at this point. Dotson and Delly weren't going to cut it though. We need to continue to search for defensive players, something this team lacks, and guys that can shoot the ball. 

48 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Can you blame him? The Cavs have been a horribly run organization for years who got lucky with LeBron.

💯 

We are all fans and many have skewed views as such.

Looking at this objectively from the perspective of a potential employee, our owner involves himself in the basketball side too often, our roster shows no vision/identity and the Houston market is like 5x the size of Cleveland and has no state income tax.

I simply can’t hate on someone for having a preference as to where they live and work.  I do.

• Like 1

In all honesty, I think the Green think is 100% based on the fact that Houston is picking #2, and going #2 means more money and also a larger market. If we were drafting 2nd, he would probably be saying the same things about wanting to be in Cleveland. 

I wanted Mobley over Green before any of this, but this wouldn't sway me if I were a Green fan to go away from him. We heard the same thing about Luka and Sacramento, so they ended up not taking him and going with Bagley instead. Same with us and SGA in 2018 when he was rumored to have said he didnt want to go to Cleveland, and we drafted Sexton. SGA got taken by LAC, where he wanted to go, but a year later he was traded to Oklahoma City, where I am sure he was thrilled to be going to. 

11 hours ago, big poppa pump said:

Looks like Houston is leaning towards Green?   And if he would rather be there????  okey dokey

gimmee Mobley!!!!!!

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/reports-jalen-green-prefers-rockets-021238341.html

I know other posters have said that Mobley is pretty much just a Center but is it truly out of the realm of possibility that he can turn into a great Power Forward? It looks as if he has the mobility and shooting mechanics to do it.  I understand that Jarrett Allen isn't an all NBA Center but I think he has talent and I would like to see the Cavaliers at least try Allen & Mobley together to see if there is any chance whatsoever that they could catch lightning in a bottle.

Peace!!!

• Like 1

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck