Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

8 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

A player like Markkenn is absolutely critical to have if you have simmons. You need spacing. Allen and Mobley aren’t it and love is never healthy. I’d hate to give him up to get simmons unless we get another stretch big back. 

What makes our bigs great is not only that they are mobile, but they can all stretch (sans JA) out to the 3pt line. Thats what makes this work is that Love, Mobley, Lauri and Wade are all bigs who need to be guarded on the perimeter. 

Bringing in Simmons doesnt help that. It clogs the lane more because he cannot stretch out to 3pt range. The Cavs also are 7th in the NBA in Assists so its not like we have a glaring hole for a playmaker. Garland/Rubio are doing a wonderful job.

Breakign this up to trade for a guy like Simmons gives me OBJ on the Browns vibes. It sounds good, but it wont work.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

What makes our bigs great is not only that they are mobile, but they can all stretch (sans JA) out to the 3pt line. Thats what makes this work is that Love, Mobley, Lauri and Wade are all bigs who need to be guarded on the perimeter. 

Bringing in Simmons doesnt help that. It clogs the lane more because he cannot stretch out to 3pt range. The Cavs also are 7th in the NBA in Assists so its not like we have a glaring hole for a playmaker. Garland/Rubio are doing a wonderful job.

Breakign this up to trade for a guy like Simmons gives me OBJ on the Browns vibes. It sounds good, but it wont work.

Mobley doesn’t stretch the floor. He’s a 20% shooter. His 3s come from wide open shots. Put simmons on the team I’m not sure Mobley does anything on the outside because defenses would be shaded his way even more since they know simmons won’t shoot. It wouldn’t be good for anyone. It would be detrimental towards Mobley’s development. The only way you could ever bring simmons is would he to get rid of Allen and put Mobley at C and simmons at PF. But then we’d be giving up our best player just to bring in a guy who’s not gonna win us many more games. 

2 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Mobley doesn’t stretch the floor. He’s a 20% shooter. His 3s come from wide open shots. Put simmons on the team I’m not sure Mobley does anything on the outside because defenses would be shaded his way even more since they know simmons won’t shoot. It wouldn’t be good for anyone. It would be detrimental towards Mobley’s development. The only way you could ever bring simmons is would he to get rid of Allen and put Mobley at C and simmons at PF. But then we’d be giving up our best player just to bring in a guy who’s not gonna win us many more games. 

He stretches the floor out to the 3pt line and has shown the ability to take/make those shots. The threat to shoot is there, which is all you need to pull defenders away from the paint. Ben Simons is liquid garbage and provides zero spacing because unlike even Evan Mobley, there is no threat to even shoot.

Simmons would hinder a lot of the spacing the Cavs are currently enjoying and not to mention, would be another ball dominant player which would take away from Garland and Rubio who are both playing extremely well.

Im not sure I would even trade Sexton + 2nd rounder for him at this point. I just sort of want nothing to do with Ben Simmons, his massively overinflated contract, his injury history or his OBJ-esq diva mentality. 

• Like 2

Problem is Mobley has turned down a lot of 3s so far to be a threat right now. 

I think he will be a fine shooter in a couple years, but there will be some growing pains.

We need a secondary play maker who can get to the rim at will and defends well in space. This will allow us to trade Ricky to a team for a shooter. 

A Shooting 3/SF would be nice but I feel like between Sexton, Garland, Cedi, Windler, Dean Wade, Love we have enough 3 point shooting this year. Next year I think Mobley will be added to that list and help alleviate some spacing issues. 

It just makes sense for us as a small market team to grab a guy like Simmons since we cant get FAs. Plus salary wise it would all work out.

Get Simmons, use Ricky's money for extending Sexton, Love expires next year in time to pay Garland. As Simmons expires, we pay Mobley. 

Simmons will always be tradable. Elite defender, elite play maker, can get to the rim at will. 

A guy that I think is attainable this season that would fit this team well is Jerami Grant. When he was in Denver, he was an impact player defensively, and he was great as a secondary scoring option. Since going to Detroit, his efficiency has gone down trying to be the offensive playmaker, but nobody can question the lack of talent that he is surrounded by as well. I think if we got him here, he would be the perfect 3. He could still take 12-13 shots per game, he has the capability to make threes, and I think he would thrive being added to this teams defensive focus. We need a SF, and I don't think NOP are looking to trade Ingram, but I could see a rebuilding team like Det trading Grant. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrownsDog23 said:

Garland saved us after Sexton tried to play hero ball at the end.

I'm not gonna dump on Sexton. Dude didn't shoot well but he hustled his *** off all night. 3 offensive boards for a small guard, and won the crucial jump ball over Trent that gave us the possession back. 

1 hour ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

I'm not gonna dump on Sexton. Dude didn't shoot well but he hustled his *** off all night. 3 offensive boards for a small guard, and won the crucial jump ball over Trent that gave us the possession back. 

He did play really good defense, but tonight was a example of why I cant think of this team paying him long term. He runs way too hot and cold and if his shot isnt falling, he doesnt do nearly enough things well to make up for it.

He still has a -10 BBIQ, he stills drives into traffic with no plan once he gets there and he still turns the ball over WAY too much.

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to get a traditional SG in here to take his spot. Someone who is smart (like Rubio, Garland, Love, Allen, Mobley, Windler, ect) that you can trust to make the right play and shoot at a high%. In hindsight, I would have loved to have pulled the trigger on a Sexton/Herro swap this past offseason. 

Herro is the type of player the Cavs need at SG. A guy who his size to defend and can play off-ball and knock down 4-6 threes per night at a high rate.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

He did play really good defense, but tonight was a example of why I cant think of this team paying him long term. He runs way too hot and cold and if his shot isnt falling, he doesnt do nearly enough things well to make up for it.

He still has a -10 BBIQ, he stills drives into traffic with no plan once he gets there and he still turns the ball over WAY too much.

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to get a traditional SG in here to take his spot. Someone who is smart (like Rubio, Garland, Love, Allen, Mobley, Windler, ect) that you can trust to make the right play and shoot at a high%. In hindsight, I would have loved to have pulled the trigger on a Sexton/Herro swap this past offseason. 

Herro is the type of player the Cavs need at SG. A guy who his size to defend and can play off-ball and knock down 4-6 threes per night at a high rate.

eh I haven't seen the Raptors game but he is running the offense a lot better with the ball in his hands.  He has those bouts where he is just out of control, but I think he's eventually going to pick his spots to be super aggressive better, or at least has shown signs he's heading in that direction.  I thought he was heading the way you were talking about at the end of the Hawks game too, where the offense started sputtering so he just started trying to do way too much.  I thought the Blazers game his scoring was a huge reason we were able to keep pace and we probably don't win without him being assertive at times.

Everything is different now that it's apparent we aren't going to build around him, he is probably figuring out how to adjust to that too.

I think we are hoping Lauri learns to be that high volume shooter when his shot starts falling.  Sexton could also add that more to his game, he spent most his career as a primary ballhandler, even with Garland just because of a lack of backup PGs and Garland being banged up a lot.

Edited by Rod Johnson

6 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

eh I haven't seen the Raptors game but he is running the offense a lot better with the ball in his hands.  He has those bouts where he is just out of control, but I think he's eventually going to pick his spots to be super aggressive better, or at least has shown signs he's heading in that direction.  I thought he was heading the way you were talking about at the end of the Hawks game too, where the offense started sputtering so he just started trying to do way too much.  I thought the Blazers game his scoring was a huge reason we were able to keep pace and we probably don't win without him being assertive at times.

Everything is different now that it's apparent we aren't going to build around him, he is probably figuring out how to adjust to that too.

I think we are hoping Lauri learns to be that high volume shooter when his shot starts falling.

Agreed, It just comes back to my point though of him running hot and cold. He started off hot, but has since had a few head scratching games on and off. Its like the bad Collin rears its ugly head when we are looking for more consistency in his 4th year.

He should not be dealing with some of these issues in year 4 because its more than just his shot not falling, its between the ears stuff. Its still his penchant for driving to the basket 1v3 with no plan once he gets there, its him not securing the ball and being extremely easy to get steals on, ect. I want to see growth from a BBIQ and execution level.

Edited by AkronsWitness

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck