Cavaliers Thread: We Don’t Suck Again!

LETSGOBROWNIES

I like this pick more than most it would seem.

I don’t think he’s gonna be a star or foundational piece necessarily, but I’m not sure that guy was available at 14 either way.

I think he’s a kid with good size for a 2, has enough athleticism to run in transition and defend, and can shoot well.  That’s a lot of what we need tbh.

I get his upside may be limited comparatively to a 19 year old, but he’s also going to be more prepared to step and contribute now.

If this kid proves he can really shoot and plays good defense, this is a good pick.

• Like 1

Also, as someone who generally is a fan of analytics, the only reason he was even available at 14 was BECAUSE of analytics.  

Like, the number one “issue” people have with him is his age, not his actual play or physical ability.  

And fwiw, if identifying the league overvalues youth and allows what they view as older but superior talent to fall later in the draft, that would be considered an inefficiency that could be exploited, which is also….. analytics.

• Like 1

And another thing lol… 

The team that has had the most success and done arguably the best job of drafting in recent memory has been the Warriors.  They assembled the core of their team by drafting players EXACTLY LIKE THIS DUDE.

Curry, Thompson and Green all played at least 3 college seasons.  Most considered them to be low ceiling/limited players. All 3 just kept doing exactly what they did in college. They were all devalued based on age and 3-5 year projections, not on actual play or ability.

Im not saying this kid is 100% the next Jimmy Buckets or whatever, just that we shouldn’t be too quick to dismiss him just because he wasn’t a 1 and done.

• Like 2

This was a nice pick at 14.

I suspect that all the naysayers also were Garland detractors even after his first year, for different reasons, of course.

Kid (and, yes, 22 is still a kid) will produce, and a lot sooner than any 19-year-old available at the spot would have.

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

This was a nice pick at 14.

I suspect that all the naysayers also were Garland detractors even after his first year, for different reasons, of course.

Kid (and, yes, 22 is still a kid) will produce, and a lot sooner than any 19-year-old available at the spot would have.

That's the only thing I can think of is they are relying on Garland/Mobley/Allen continuing to make leaps forward and Agbaji is just a ready made piece to fit that instead of being a development project.

That pick somewhat makes sense, but the roster construction still doesn't. We have 4 SGs that we are going to try to play out of position at SF (again) unless there is another move to be made.

I would love to see them have a trick up their sleeve to get a SF. Perhaps going after Cam Reddish or Gordon Hayward

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

That's the only thing I can think of is they are relying on Garland/Mobley/Allen continuing to make leaps forward and Agbaji is just a ready made piece to fit that instead of being a development project.

That pick somewhat makes sense, but the roster construction still doesn't. We have 4 SGs that we are going to try to play out of position at SF (again) unless there is another move to be made.

I would love to see them have a trick up their sleeve to get a SF. Perhaps going after Cam Reddish or Gordon Hayward

No thanks to Cam Reddish, he’s a bum. Outside of one playoff series against Milwaukee he hasn’t been good since high school. I would take a stab at Heyward but I’m pretty sure we would have to match salaries with K Love so I’d pass on that as well.

10 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

No thanks to Cam Reddish, he’s a bum. Outside of one playoff series against Milwaukee he hasn’t been good since high school. I would take a stab at Heyward but I’m pretty sure we would have to match salaries with K Love so I’d pass on that as well.

Reddish still has some potential. NY never played him last year because thibs is an idiot who doesn’t play guys he doesn’t know. If he was cheap I’d take a shot at him. 

48 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Reddish still has some potential. NY never played him last year because thibs is an idiot who doesn’t play guys he doesn’t know. If he was cheap I’d take a shot at him. 

Agree to disagree I guess. What has he done since he was in high school that makes you think he has “potential”? There’s a reason he was shipped to NY for a low cost and they are already looking to get rid of him. I guess I would throw a future 2nd to give him a shot but even then I don’t think he’s really a culture fit here (demanded a trade from ATL over role/minutes). 

Reddish is a bad culture fit. He thinks he should have things handed to him and he doesnt put in the work to expand his game. 

I like the Ochai pick. Hes got great size and athleticism and production for a 3 and D guy. Very much a leader and hard worker. I think he's a high end role player with a bit more upside. He can really splash it and works well off screens and cutting. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Agree to disagree I guess. What has he done since he was in high school that makes you think he has “potential”? There’s a reason he was shipped to NY for a low cost and they are already looking to get rid of him. I guess I would throw a future 2nd to give him a shot but even then I don’t think he’s really a culture fit here (demanded a trade from ATL over role/minutes). 

He can shoot and he’s an ultra athlete. So he has the ability to play good defense with the right coaching and team around him. I’m not saying I want to sign him to the max and start him but he’s worth a shot as a rotational guy. 

3 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

Can Cam Reddish shoot? He's 32% from 3 and <40% from the field.  His shooting numbers were even worse in college. 

He a miss a three and D guy.  

Its like that scene in moneyball. 'If he's a good hitter then why doesn't he hit good?'

His last 2 seasons he was 35% 37%. He was also a 90% FT shooter last year. That shows he can shoot. Like I said he has potential. He’s still just 22.