Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

On 7/14/2022 at 4:15 PM, Rod Johnson said:

I don't think what it would cost on our end on players/picks and Mitchell's pretty hefty contract would make it worth it.  Although I think Mitchell can take our team into the playoffs, he didn't really take the Jazz much farther than that.

Call me crazy, but why trade for Mitchell when we already have Sexton. They are almost identical players from a player skillet standpoint and their numbers from the first 3 years of their careers are about identical as well.

Why trade a bunch of players, picks, assets AND have to pay 2x as much for Mitchell when we already have Sexton?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Call me crazy, but why trade for Mitchell when we already have Sexton. They are almost identical players from a player skillet standpoint and their numbers from the first 3 years of their careers are about identical as well.

Why trade a bunch of players, picks, assets AND have to pay 2x as much for Mitchell when we already have Sexton?

Mitchell is an actual winning player who has taken his team to the playoffs all 5 years of his career, won several series and a 3X all star. Sexton has done none of that. Sexton is a dollar store Mitchell at best. 

On 7/14/2022 at 4:37 PM, sdrawkcab321 said:

He was the jazzs only real offensive weapon. With Rudy who is a zero offensively outside of 1 foot.  But him with garland and they’d contend every year. 

He is Collin Sexton's ceiling, but I don't think we would want to pay Sexton $35 million a year even if he reached his ceiling.  We reportedly could sign Sexton for $20 million a year.  We are paying Garland already to be the lead guy in the backcourt, if everything goes according to plan Mobley will be a max guy as well.  It makes more sense to me from a roster perspective, but you're right he could just put us over the top with his scoring. 

8 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

He is Collin Sexton's ceiling, but I don't think we would want to pay Sexton $35 million a year even if he reached his ceiling.  We reportedly could sign Sexton for $20 million a year.  We are paying Garland already to be the lead guy in the backcourt, if everything goes according to plan Mobley will be a max guy as well.  It makes more sense to me from a roster perspective, but you're right he could just put us over the top with his scoring. 

If sexton could carry an offensive load to take us to the playoffs every year of his career I think we would absolutely pay sexton 35M. But he hasn’t done that once yet. He’s a high end bench scorer and an ineffective starter. 

8 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Mitchell is an actual winning player who has taken his team to the playoffs all 5 years of his career, won several series and a 3X all star. Sexton has done none of that. Sexton is a dollar store Mitchell at best. 

I disagree a bit. He dosnt have Mitchells prowess yet but he's a undersized SG just like Sexton (both 6'1), both are volume/efficient scorers on all 3 levels and both struggle with playmaking and defense. I would say Mitchell makes 'winning plays' that Sexton doesnt right now, but that can come with time and opportunity.

I just dont believe the gap between them equals multiple 1st round picks, young players and twice the contract size.

These are Sexton/Mitchells stats through the first 3 years of their career.

Sexton: 20/3/4 on 46%/39%/83% and eFG% of 50%

Mitchell: 22/4/4 on 44%/35%/82% and eFG% of 50%

Give me Sexton all day for 70M over Mitchell for 163M

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Rod Johnson said:

It all comes down to Koby Altman convincing Sexton that he can be a elite 6th man who gets 25+ mins per game. Thats going to be hard to swallow for a kid who has started his entire career and is looking for a payday.

My fear for Sexton is that he is working himself into a Dennis Schroeder situation where he bets on himself looking to get paid and there is still no market for him, so he has to wind up taking small 'prove it' deals or bounces around from place to place.

23 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

It all comes down to Koby Altman convincing Sexton that he can be a elite 6th man who gets 25+ mins per game. Thats going to be hard to swallow for a kid who has started his entire career and is looking for a payday.

My fear for Sexton is that he is working himself into a Dennis Schroeder situation where he bets on himself looking to get paid and there is still no market for him, so he has to wind up taking small 'prove it' deals or bounces around from place to place.

Exactly bro

If I’m Koby I’m trying to get Manu G on the phone with Sexton and just break down to him what’s possible in that role. Like run it for some years ball tf out get some playoff shine and then that would really up your value if you want to be a starter. 

Unless there’s some really unique roster construction, Sexton is never gonna be a starter and high use player on a title contender.

If he wants to win and be part of a title contending team, he’s gonna be an off the bench scorer unless he learns how to run an offense and set up teammates.

10 hours ago, brownie man said:

Exactly bro

If I’m Koby I’m trying to get Manu G on the phone with Sexton and just break down to him what’s possible in that role. Like run it for some years ball tf out get some playoff shine and then that would really up your value if you want to be a starter. 

The smart play for him if he doesnt like the money being offered would be to take a short deal like 2/30 from the Cavs and prove that he can perform well as a high usage 6th man to audition for a a starting spot on somebody elses roster. 

Then he will be a 25 years old free agent, maybe another team will pay him the big bucks to come be their starter. 

New jerseys are here

Pros

-White home uniforms are clean

-The logo on the shorts is a great touch. Showns *some* modern touch that is unique.

Cons

-Im not a fan of the over simplistic design. Can we have some personality please or does everything in Cleveland have to be deep rooted in 'tradition' and 'strong'. These are like 1 step above those awful basic 2015 Cavs jerseys.

- Why has no designer reintroduced the checkered box trim on the jerseys like the blue jerseys from 2005 had or the old school 70s/80s style had. They say they brought back elements from history, but didnt add the checkered outline. If they added that to the wine colorway, they would be 100000x better. Way too bland. Look like practice jerseys.

- Not a fan of the Cleveland across the chest on the wine jersey. Keep it CaVs

SIDE NOTE: We lost Goodyear as our patch sponsor???? WTF

FX9Hp8XWIAELiVR?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

New jerseys are here

Pros

-White home uniforms are clean

-The logo on the shorts is a great touch. Showns *some* modern touch that is unique.

Cons

-Im not a fan of the over simplistic design. Can we have some personality please or does everything in Cleveland have to be deep rooted in 'tradition' and 'strong'. These are like 1 step above those awful basic 2015 Cavs jerseys.

- Why has no designer reintroduced the checkered box trim on the jerseys like the blue jerseys from 2005 had or the old school 70s/80s style had. They say they brought back elements from history, but didnt add the checkered outline. If they added that to the wine colorway, they would be 100000x better. Way too bland. Look like practice jerseys.

- Not a fan of the Cleveland across the chest on the wine jersey. Keep it CaVs

SIDE NOTE: We lost Goodyear as our patch sponsor???? WTF

FX9Hp8XWIAELiVR?format=jpg&name=4096x409

White and black are clean, I like em.

Wine?  Not so much.  That’s a lot of red.

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

White and black are clean, I like em.

Wine?  Not so much.  That’s a lot of red.

Like, honestly how hard was it to just put some block outline on the jerseys. That is exactly what all of these needed and they would have been incredible and not look like summer league jerseys

Can you imagine how sweet those black/wine ones would looks with just gold block trim?

s-l500.jpg

decade5_140812.jpg

Edited by AkronsWitness

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck