Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

6 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Watch his career go the Brandon Jennings route. Decides he should be “the guy” and rots away in Sacramento or something.

That’s pretty much what I expect. A high end version of that. He’s got a good attitude and is competitive as hell. Just doesn’t have the bbiq you want from a starter. I think that’s a fair price. 

11 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Watch his career go the Brandon Jennings route. Decides he should be “the guy” and rots away in Sacramento or something.

In all honesty, that is a helluva lowball offer. I like the concept of a short term contract that would actually work in Sextons favor, but offering him 13M per year doesnt even make him a top 25 paid SG in the NBA. That contract offer puts him in the same salary range as Gary Harris and Kentevious Caldwell-Pope.

Knowing the Cavs have 16M in cap space left, it could be a negotiating tactic for them (13M) to set the floor so they can work up to that 16M number if Sextons camp started for a ridiculously high 18-20M

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Question, if Carlos Boozer, Darius Miles, and Ricky Davis never left the Cavs when Lebron arrived, would they have won a title? Keep in mind they had a younger Big Z too.

Absolutely not. They’re probably worse. Davis was all empty stats. Darius sucked I don’t even know why you mention him. Boozer was good but always hurt and wouldn’t have put us over the top to beat the spurs. 

20 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Absolutely not. They’re probably worse. Davis was all empty stats. Darius sucked I don’t even know why you mention him. Boozer was good but always hurt and wouldn’t have put us over the top to beat the spurs. 

I think they could have beat Miami in 2006. Lebron was more than good enough to match Wade. Shaq was 34 and starting to slow down.

Eric Snow

Ricky Davis

Lebron

Carlos Boozer

Big Z

Then you had Gooden, Marshall, and Flip Murray off the bench.

Edited by candyman93

6 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I think they could have beat Miami in 2006. Lebron was more than good enough to match Wade. Shaq was 34 and starting to slow down.

Eric Snow

Ricky Davis

Lebron

Carlos Boozer

Big Z

The 06 cavs made the finals. They didn’t even have to go through the heat. But that team still isn’t beating the spurs. Ricky Davis and his selfish play and no defense made the team worse

2 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

The 06 cavs made the finals. They didn’t even have to go through the heat. But that team still isn’t beating the spurs. Ricky Davis and his selfish play and no defense made the team worse

Mistyping on my part. I meant as in the 2005-2006 season. The year Miami beat Dallas in the NBA Finals. We lost to Detroit that year. It was when Dirk had the label of being “soft” and Wade shot a billion free throws.

I think with those guys I mentioned we could have beaten Miami in the East and beat Dallas in the NBA Finals that year.

Edited by candyman93

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/25/2022 at 12:04 PM, candyman93 said:

Eric Snow

Ricky Davis

Lebron

Carlos Boozer

Big Z

dont forget about Larry Hughes. He had an unlucky season that year with the broken finger.

On 7/24/2022 at 10:09 PM, AkronsWitness said:

In all honesty, that is a helluva lowball offer. I like the concept of a short term contract that would actually work in Sextons favor, but offering him 13M per year doesnt even make him a top 25 paid SG in the NBA. That contract offer puts him in the same salary range as Gary Harris and Kentevious Caldwell-Pope.

Knowing the Cavs have 16M in cap space left, it could be a negotiating tactic for them (13M) to set the floor so they can work up to that 16M number if Sextons camp started for a ridiculously high 18-20M

The issue is, no one has made a contract offer for him. He was hoping he could set his value at a great rate but no one has done any favors for him. You think a team would offer a contract, just so the Cavs had to decide to slightly over pay for him. Its almost like playing the market has hurt his value, A la Mitchell Schwartz. He wanted to hit the market and set his price but it backed fire on him.

7 minutes ago, buno67 said:

The issue is, no one has made a contract offer for him. He was hoping he could set his value at a great rate but no one has done any favors for him. You think a team would offer a contract, just so the Cavs had to decide to slightly over pay for him. Its almost like playing the market has hurt his value, A la Mitchell Schwartz. He wanted to hit the market and set his price but it backed fire on him.

Yeah, him turning down that 100M contract last year turned out to be extremely hurtful for him. With nobody making offers for him, the Cavs have the luxury of squeezing/lowballing him. The more and more this goes on, I highly doubt he accepts a 4/60 type of contract.

I wouldnt be surprised if he just played on the 1 year Qualifying Offer, tried to recoup some value with a healthy season and then hit the open market again. In that case it helps the Cavs too because they have a ton of cap space after this season with Love off the books and LeVert off the books. Thats 48M right there. If he plays well, they can resign him to the offer he is looking for since they will actually have the room to do so. (or be jaded by the Cavs and him want to play anywhere but here)

Edited by AkronsWitness

If I am Sexton I would try and get traded ala Lauri last year 

In the 11 healthy games Sexton was awful last year. Career low assist rates, career high turnover rates, and lower scoring and efficiency numbers as he struggled to adapt to an off ball role. He’s most likely going to be either our 5th best starter or a 6th man. 

I think playing a year on a QO where your minutes, role, and fit are major questions is a tough risk. If he struggles there’s a chance Rubio and LeVert take virtually all his minutes towards the end of the year, especially if someone like Okoro or Agbaji earn PT 

15 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

In the 11 healthy games Sexton was awful last year. Career low assist rates, career high turnover rates, and lower scoring and efficiency numbers as he struggled to adapt to an off ball role. He’s most likely going to be either our 5th best starter or a 6th man. 

I think playing a year on a QO where your minutes, role, and fit are major questions is a tough risk. If he struggles there’s a chance Rubio and LeVert take virtually all his minutes towards the end of the year, especially if someone like Okoro or Agbaji earn PT 

The problem is nobody is going to trade anything for him. He is essentially a FA right now and no other team has even offered him a contract.

30 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

I told this to sda. Sexton just gives me Brandon Jennings vibes. He’s going to go to a garbage team like Sacramento and fade out of existence.

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck