Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

There’s a lot of value to being a good 4th/5th best player on the court

Wade had a lot of complimentary skills. He can shoot, defend, is generally smart and unselfish and moves to the right places. 

Is he a standout player? Hell no but he’s someone who can go out and do small things effectively without holding anyone else back.

this was the #1 problem with Sexton for instance. Sexton is a way better player than Wade but doesn’t have the talent to be a top 3 player on a team, and doesn’t have the skillset to be the 4th or 5th best player on the court because he needs the ball and needs shots and needs to brute force offense, which he can do effectively. 

On 9/26/2022 at 12:46 PM, candyman93 said:

There’s zero chance he starts at the 3. We need athletic horses to defend on the wing, that’s Okoro.

I could def see some defensive schemes were Wade and Mobley can switch and mobley takes the 3 and Wade takes the 4 on defensive assignments. I think it comes down who they are playing. I could see schemes being if there is a stud 3 or 4, have the defense clamp down the lesser offensive player and really force that other guy to have a worldly night to carry the team. Kinda how teams use to defend Lebron. Or how the Cavs defended other team's back courts in '15 and '16 with Love and Moz

My biggest fear with this season is what will we do against teams with multiple large wings like Boston and Milwaukee? Mobley can’t guard everyone. Allen needs to be at the rim. Garland and Mitchell can’t guard guys like Tatum/brown or Giannis and Middleton. Even a matchup against klay and Wiggins would be impossible. None of our 3s are good enough to defend any of them. Lavert is way below average on d. Wade is ok but he’s not on that level. Okoro is too short to defend 6’8 guys and even if he could youd have to deal with his zero ability on offense that would allow other players to get doubled. Cedi isn’t guarding them. Our defense on the permitter will be a mess. Our backcourt is so small that larger wings can just shoot right over our guys. We really need koby to pull out some magic and trade for a quality starter level 6’8 wing. 

On 10/1/2022 at 5:04 PM, sdrawkcab321 said:

My biggest fear with this season is what will we do against teams with multiple large wings like Boston and Milwaukee? Mobley can’t guard everyone. Allen needs to be at the rim. Garland and Mitchell can’t guard guys like Tatum/brown or Giannis and Middleton. Even a matchup against klay and Wiggins would be impossible. None of our 3s are good enough to defend any of them. Lavert is way below average on d. Wade is ok but he’s not on that level. Okoro is too short to defend 6’8 guys and even if he could youd have to deal with his zero ability on offense that would allow other players to get doubled. Cedi isn’t guarding them. Our defense on the permitter will be a mess. Our backcourt is so small that larger wings can just shoot right over our guys. We really need koby to pull out some magic and trade for a quality starter level 6’8 wing. 

I mean, I get your point but I’m not sure there’s a Giannis/Klay/Tatum stopper in existence.

I think the goal isn’t to try to match what they do, but instead find what you do and how you win your way. A wing would be helpful for sure, but I think they’re going to have similar difficulties trying to defend our guards and bigs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, I get your point but I’m not sure there’s a Giannis/Klay/Tatum stopper in existence.

I think the goal isn’t to try to match what they do, but instead find what you do and how you win your way. A wing would be helpful for sure, but I think they’re going to have similar difficulties trying to defend our guards and bigs.

I think we run into the Portland conundrum. Ours guards are so good we can’t take the off the court because they’re our best shot at winning but their lack of size makes matchups on defense a nightmare because we can’t switch anything. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I think we run into the Portland conundrum. Ours guards are so good we can’t take the off the court because they’re our best shot at winning but their lack of size makes matchups on defense a nightmare because we can’t switch anything. 

Maybe, but I don’t remember them having bigs like Allen and Mobley.  

Mobley’s development will be a large factor in our ceiling.

22 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Maybe, but I don’t remember them having bigs like Allen and Mobley.  

Mobley’s development will be a large factor in our ceiling.

Right the bigs are fine but can’t cover everyone. Our guards are so small you can just shoot right over them. The same issue Portland had. Bigs can’t do anything with that. And you can’t really switch with Mobley or else you’re gonna have one of our guards or lavert/cedi switched onto a big. Which is just as bad. 

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck