Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

56 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

No one should ever be worked up about NBA basketball in October lol.  It’s a long season, we’re just getting started.

Yeah I know this is the real answer, but it's hard for me to turn off my anger. I want to punch a hole through my TV when I watch the Cavs stumbling around offensively.

I think JB Bickerstaff is dreadful. We have + athletes at all 5 positions yet, we have the slowest pace out of any NBA team. We rely on Garland/Mitchell making spectacular plays/shots instead of running sets. We get nothing easy, we refuse to work the ball down low, and we are wildly inconsistent when it comes to effort.

Yes, it's early. But I'm still seeing the same problems with this team that I saw last year in the playoffs. This 100% is a make-or-break year for JB. I know coaches don't do much in the NBA, but they do from a philosophical standpoint. He's made zero adjustments.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Yeah I know this is the real answer, but it's hard for me to turn off my anger. I want to punch a hole through my TV when I watch the Cavs stumbling around offensively.

I think JB Bickerstaff is dreadful. We have + athletes at all 5 positions yet, we have the slowest pace out of any NBA team. We rely on Garland/Mitchell making spectacular plays/shots instead of running sets. We get nothing easy, we refuse to work the ball down low, and we are wildly inconsistent when it comes to effort.

Yes, it's early. But I'm still seeing the same problems with this team that I saw last year in the playoffs. This 100% is a make-or-break year for JB. I know coaches don't do much in the NBA, but they do from a philosophical standpoint. He's made zero adjustments.

I won’t argue any of that lol.  He needs to open things up a bit, 100%.

On 10/29/2023 at 9:11 AM, BetterCallSaul said:

I know this is the rational take, but it’s very frustrating. I hate JB. He is terrible. Luckily coaching doesn’t matter much, but it does come playoff time. 

No, I'm definitely with you on that. I don't HATE the decision to stick with JB, but there were a few guys available that I would've been okay going with the "thanks for getting us this far culture builder guy, now we're going for a tactician". I'm actually pretty surprised that they held onto JB for this year, but we will see!

25 minutes ago, FGK said:

No, I'm definitely with you on that. I don't HATE the decision to stick with JB, but there were a few guys available that I would've been okay going with the "thanks for getting us this far culture builder guy, now we're going for a tactician". I'm actually pretty surprised that they held onto JB for this year, but we will see!

Nick Nurse would have been nice. 

• Like 1

JB Bickerstaff is an amazing coach.... for a 19 win team

All of his positives - culture building, consistency, player development, encouragement, etc are exactly what young teams need. He did an amazing job for us the last 4 years. But now? 

But JB is god-****-awful at situational and matchup basketball. We should be competiting for titles right now. We dont need to turn Garland from a scrub into a star. That already happened. Mobley is already knocking at the door of stardom. Okoro is cooked and wont materially improve. Mitchell is a top 15 player. The development for our guys is not the day to day execution, its the situational basketball they need to grow in. They need to learn how to win. 

We lost in 5 to a team that excels at offensive rebounding, getting to the free throw line, and avoiding turnovers. They struggles at scoring from all 3 levels. How did we defend them? We chased and switched everything, because thats how we guard everyone. Nobody stayed at home. Nobody boxed out. We had our bigs flying at their guards and forwards and allowed them to clean up the glass uncontested 5 games in a row. We never adjusted. 

Then offensively we had 2 ballhandlers. Whenever we'd cross court we'd get trapped, and then either Garland or Mitchell would pick up their dribble, wait for the other one to run back, and reset the play. We were getting into our offense so late. We never adjusted by bringing Mobley up to run handoffs from, or having LeVert or another playmaker available for 2 quick passes out of the trap. You attack traps by making 2-3 rapid passes and creating easy buckets. Again this happened 5 games in a row and we never adjusted. 

If we switched coaches we win that series in 5. If we had 25 other coaches we win that series easily....

Bringing JB Bickerstaff back for the '23-'24 season is like washing out a condom to use it again. Its already served its purpose, throw it in the garbage where it belongs and be thankful for the good times. JB Bickerstaff has no ability to add incremental value to this team and bringing him back was a stupid and shortsighted decision.  

These are the most likely outcomes for our season IMO

1. The good outcome. We play amazing, win 55+ games, get a 2-seed, win vs an awful team R1, then get owned by the Celtics or Bucks. Keep JB, run it back drawing dead with  a clueless coach

2. The middle outcome. Get a 3-6 seed. Struggle and lose R1. 

3. The bad outcome. Struggle, get a 6-8 seed. Struggle and lose R1. The upside here is if we struggle enough we might fire JB mid-season

I see very little chance we win a playoff series unless there is a *major* talent mismatch. I think the only team we would have beaten last playoffs was the Nets. 

• Like 4