Game Developers that Should be Supported and not...

Spartacus

Hey guys there is a pretty lively discussion in the Battlefront 2 page detailing shady game developer tactics and I thought it would be interesting if I put together what I believe to be the top 5 most trusted game developers and some that should be avoided till there strategies change:

Most Trusted:

1. CD Red Projekt - Known for the Witcher series CD Red Projekt is one of the few developers that does not believe in microtransactions at all. They have been known to work closely with their fans to improve there games as well as providing free DLC that would normally be paid DLC for other developers. They do have some paid DLC but it is generally of extremely high quality and fairly priced. The games seem to be always released in a finished complete state. I can't say enough about this developer both for the quality of their games and the way they treat their fans. 

2. Valve - Known for extremely popular games like Counter Strike, Half Life, and Portal they are probably best known now for the Steam  software that generally allows for distribution of a wide variety of 3rd party and 1st party games at discount prices. They have always been known for their extremely high quality standards and revolutionary thinking and ideas regarding gaming.

3. Naughty Dog - Known for Crash Bandicoot, Uncharted Series, and the Last of Us. They have pumped out some of the best looking games of the century. All of their games have an extremely high production value and are finished products. DLC is generally fairly priced but can range a bit in quality. 

4. Rockstar Games - Known for Grand Theft Auto and Red Dead Redemption. Everyone knows GTA. GTA V in its current state is one of the best games ever created. Although initially releasing with a pretty bare bones multiplayer component the amount of depth pumped out for free from Rockstar Games has made the online into something that could be released as a standalone game itself. Their games are generally of extremely high quality upon release and have a depth that few developers can mimic. They have introduced micro transactions for money in GTA V which is disappointing but it does not really affect the online portion that much. 

5. Bethesda - Known for Elder Scrolls and Fallout series. Some people will disagree with this entry but I feel Bethesda does a decent job of giving us a game  that is of fairly high quality from start to finish and gives 100s of hours of gameplay. Although I will say the quality slipped with Fallout 4 and and they have been known to release widely varying quality DLC I think for the most part they have done a decent job of giving us games that we want to play and they stay away from cash grabs. 

STAY AWAY IF YOU CAN:

1. EA - Is there anything that really hasn't been said at this point?  EA is the worst and probably the most despised developer in the gaming industry. Off the top of my head EA  has been known for buying up successful gaming developers, making them release unfinished poor quality sequels to there beloved franchises, and then shutting them down. The list of dead once beloved developers due to EA is LONGGGGGG. They have also released there fair share of unfinished games and are at the forefront of most cash grabbing schemes that are becoming more and more common place. They have also bought out the rights to the NFL which essentially eliminated all competition and have released poor quality repeats of the same Madden for 10 years. If you don't think football could be done better just look at the quality of the NBA 2k or MLB the Show series of games. Micro Transactions, 1st day DLC, P2W models, Unfinished or shallow games, lying to their fans, killing of beloved series, overpriced DLC literally EA is the king of crappy businesses. 

2. Ubisoft - Once one of the most beloved game developers of all time they are really a shell of their former self. Ubisoft is at the forefront when it comes to cash grabbing schemes. They have released micro transactions in almost all of there games to date and some like For Honor are straight up pay to win. Not only have they been cash grabbing they are responsible with their terrible DRM/U Play software. Also they have been known to try to silence bad reviews by boycotting any review site that gives their games bad reviews. 

3. Activision - Anything I said regarding EA is about the same for Activision just to a smaller scale. 

Let me know what you think. Thanks. 

I'd add Blizzard, Psyonix and From Software to "trusted".

Blizzard needs no explanation, plus Starcraft II is going F2P today :)

Psyonix only has Rocket League, but they have done an absolutely ideal job maintaining it. Actually has one of the most grateful communities out there.

From Software releases epics that provide an immense amount of content.

13 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

I'd add Blizzard, Psyonix and From Software to "trusted".

Blizzard needs no explanation, plus Starcraft II is going F2P today :)

Psyonix only has Rocket League, but they have done an absolutely ideal job maintaining it. Actually has one of the most grateful communities out there.

From Software releases epics that provide an immense amount of content.

Blizzard I probably should have put them above Bethesda.  I was trying to stray away from 3rd party developers because there are a lot of good ones. From Software is another good company but I don't know if I like it better than any of the ones mentioned. 

As much as I agree, I still end up buying their crap. Bethesda is on that fringe for me kinda like you said.

Edit: typos and I know so much bs goes on but I tend to, for whatever reason, find the good in them rather than dwelling on the bad. I play games to get away, have fun, I probably intentionally blind eye a lot of things I should not in the interest of that. AKA I'm part of the problem but I would rather be that way and enjoy myself than be the perpetually angry gamer guy.

1 minute ago, NormSizedMidget said:

As much as I agree, I still end up being their crap. Bethesda is on that fringe for me kinda like you said.

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt regarding Fallout 4. If their next game lacks quality and doesn't improve then I will stick a fork in them. 

Naughty Dog stick out like an albino gorilla in this list. They make super linear and simple games that are more like cinematic experiences. Everyone else makes incredibly well grafted video games of all kinds of different variety. Naughty Dog made a good platformer, rehashed one good game 5 times, and made another great linear game. CD Projekt is known for one series, but unlike Uncharted which is almost literally the same game over and over, they've redefined each sequel in terms of gameplay and story, maybe unlike any trilogy ever.

Just now, Mossburg said:

Naughty Dog stick out like an albino gorilla in this list. They make super linear and simple games that are more like cinematic experiences. Everyone else makes incredibly well grafted video games of all kinds of different variety. Naughty Dog made a good platformer, rehashed one good game 5 times, and made another great linear game. CD Projekt is known for one series, but unlike Uncharted which is almost literally the same game over and over, they've redefined each sequel in terms of gameplay and story, maybe unlike any trilogy ever.

I can see that although I thinks its just personal preference. All of the Naughty Dog games to date have been high quality and they have avoided any poor business practices.  

^Yea, you're right and I'm nitpicking a bit. They are known for a certain experience and they deliver it and don't do any BS to screw with your wallet. They deserve credit for sure, though I think preference aside, from a technical standpoint I find most of their games grossly overrated.

16 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

^Yea, you're right and I'm nitpicking a bit. They are known for a certain experience and they deliver it and don't do any BS to screw with your wallet. They deserve credit for sure, though I think preference aside, from a technical standpoint I find most of their games grossly overrated.

I'd agree with this, although my main issue is more with Uncharted than ND itself. I never played the fourth game because I was bored by the third instalment. 

After Horizon Zero Dawn I'd potentially put Guerrilla Games in there. They only have Killzone as their other work though. 

21 minutes ago, sunnygsm said:

I'd agree with this, although my main issue is more with Uncharted than ND itself. I never played the fourth game because I was bored by the third instalment. 

After Horizon Zero Dawn I'd potentially put Guerrilla Games in there. They only have Killzone as their other work though. 

That's a great one was well. I appreciate any developer that has the balls to start a totally new IP like they did. I loved the Killzone series as well. 

Psyonix is awesome. Small studio, less then 50 employees.. and they have several that are frequently interacting with the community on Reddit. Release all new maps and game modes for free.. they introduced the crate and key system but everything is purely cosmetic. Their biggest issue right now is reliable servers.. which is inexcusable for a game that is in year 3 and only trending up as an eSport

I feel like Bethesda is very fringe trustable.  They milk their games so much that it gets obnoxious.  Instead of rehashing Skyrim and Fallout 4 into VR, why not just make their next games VR compatible?  I know I'm not going to re-buy Fallout 4 just for the VR component.  Mostly because the game makes me nauseous without VR (I think it's the lighting or something).  I don't really see how the game would be improved in VR either. 

And their games always have some pretty serious glitches that they refuse to fix.  And I really, really, really, really, really, really, really hate their radiant quest crap.  If not for mods that allowed for me to kill Preston, I'd have the same damn settlement have Raiders kidnapping somebody 16 times in one play through even if I literally built a fortress with turrets at every single angle. 

That's something they should have fixed as soon as the first "I have another settlement that needs our help" meme showed up on the internet.  I just bought the GOTY edition, and no fix. 

Bethesda has gone awry since the release of Fallout 4. It's gotten kinda bad man. That and all the Skyrim rererereleases. Creation Club. Yeah they're not necessary in trouble right now. But they're falling and fast right now.

Bioware is falling to pieces as well.

Archived