Jump to content

Training Camp 2022: Luh-trowb or Lay-trowb?


 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

My surprise pick for Training camp MVP: Mitch Trubisky

If he actually improved his game in Buffalo it’d be awesome. Him growing to his potential would be such a massive boon for us. We would be a legit great team, and we’d have a good trade piece in either Trubs or Pickett. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

My surprise pick for Training camp MVP: Mitch Trubisky

I kinda secretly hope Mitch bombs to make the choice easy. I see no value in playing Mitch after we drafted Kenny. It's not terrible, I guess, if he starts the year....but IMO we need to find out ASAP what we have in Kenny. 

Mitch has no future here, so I see any snaps he takes closer to wasted opportunity than helpful to 24 year old, 5 year starter, and 20th overall pick Kenny Pickett. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I kinda secretly hope Mitch bombs to make the choice easy. I see no value in playing Mitch after we drafted Kenny. It's not terrible, I guess, if he starts the year....but IMO we need to find out ASAP what we have in Kenny. 

Mitch has no future here, so I see any snaps he takes closer to wasted opportunity than helpful to 24 year old, 5 year starter, and 20th overall pick Kenny Pickett. 

Ehh, if he has a good season (think Tannehill when he first joined the Titans), we can trade him for a 2nd and still have Pickett on a rookie contract for 4 years. 

Tannehill in his first year with Tennessee by the way (10 starts, 12 games played): 2742 yards, 22 TDs,  6 INTs, 70.3% completion percentage. If Trubisky puts up that kind of a season and gets us into the playoffs, I think trade talks start with a 2nd with potential for more, especially considering how little he is owed in 2023.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The next time Mike T just hands someone a competition it will be the first time. If Mitch earns it then he should start. I take an Alex Smith/Patrick Mahomes like attitude towards this year. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, August4th said:

what if Mitch figures it out and has a really good yr and we make playoffs? not sure if I would be cool with trading him in that scenario. He's not that old, can still have a future here.

I actually agree. It would have to be a truly impressive season from Mitch though, 2nd round of the playoffs and a pro bowl nod at the very least for us to even considering rolling with him and moving on from Pickett. I don’t really see that happening but I do believe it’s in his range of outcomes. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I actually agree. It would have to be a truly impressive season from Mitch though, 2nd round of the playoffs and a pro bowl nod at the very least for us to even considering rolling with him and moving on from Pickett. I don’t really see that happening but I do believe it’s in his range of outcomes. 

so much up in the air. I can see this happening or mitch falling flat on his face by week 6

I get a foggy vision when trying to imagine what this offense will be like and its why this preseason is the most I've been excited to watch in awhile

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, August4th said:

so much up in the air. I can see this happening or mitch falling flat on his face by week 6

I get a foggy vision when trying to imagine what this offense will be like and its why this preseason is the most I've been excited to watch in awhile

 

The thing I worry most about Mitch (and Kenny to an extent) is turnovers. Both have a history of fumble issues which really worries me with them playing behind our o-line. 

Mitch had 10 fumbles 12 games his rookie year and never less than 5 in any season with Chicago. 

Pickett had 38 fumbles in college.

Ben, even though his arm was shot, still did a pretty good job not giving the ball to the other team. 11 fumbles last year (behind an awful O Line) but only exceeded 9 once the rest of his career.

With that being said, turnovers from Mitch/Kenny will be the biggest thing I’m focusing on through training camp and preseason. Whoever can take care of the ball better, while asking to do a lot with their legs behind a shaky o-line, will have the leg up IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, August4th said:

so much up in the air. I can see this happening or mitch falling flat on his face by week 6

I get a foggy vision when trying to imagine what this offense will be like and its why this preseason is the most I've been excited to watch in awhile

 

Either of those two outcomes is preferable to me to letting Kenny be the starter without winning it. Plus, to me, Kenny has a lot to learn in terms of how to cradle the ball in the NFL. 
 

This offense is going to look awesome. I know I sound like a broken record, but it’s going to be nice to see a situation where the QB isn’t so set in their ways. These guys have to buy into what’s happening or they’ll be out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

The thing I worry most about Mitch (and Kenny to an extent) is turnovers. Both have a history of fumble issues which really worries me with them playing behind our o-line. 

Mitch had 10 fumbles 12 games his rookie year and never less than 5 in any season with Chicago. 

Pickett had 38 fumbles in college.

Ben, even though his arm was shot, still did a pretty good job not giving the ball to the other team. 11 fumbles last year (behind an awful O Line) but only exceeded 9 once the rest of his career.

With that being said, turnovers from Mitch/Kenny will be the biggest thing I’m focusing on through training camp and preseason. Whoever can take care of the ball better, while asking to do a lot with their legs behind a shaky o-line, will have the leg up IMO.

As I alluded to above, their issues came from cradle height. Mitch and Kenny came into the league carrying the ball two handed very low. Hopefully better coaching last year taught Mitch to cradle it at the shoulder rather than at the abdomen. That’s huge in fumble problems. Look at ARod at Cal vs ARod now. He fixed that an his fumble issue is so much better. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Ehh, if he has a good season (think Tannehill when he first joined the Titans), we can trade him for a 2nd and still have Pickett on a rookie contract for 4 years. 

Tannehill in his first year with Tennessee by the way (10 starts, 12 games played): 2742 yards, 22 TDs,  6 INTs, 70.3% completion percentage. If Trubisky puts up that kind of a season and gets us into the playoffs, I think trade talks start with a 2nd with potential for more, especially considering how little he is owed in 2023.

I just don't think you are going to see a huge variance between Mitch and Kenny. The thing with Tannahill is that he was actually pretty good in Miami. He really didn't greatly improve, but the situation around him did. He didn't all of a sudden become an All-Pro, but his efficiency operating with King Henry, a far better OC, that offensive line, and better weapons made him look like he took a leap. Check him numbers out after he lost Henry and their O-Line took a step back last year. In the 8 games after he lost DH he was averaging 180 yards a game, 7 TDs to 7 INTs, and was sacked 3 times per. It wasn't until week 18 vs Houston where he threw for 4 TDs (and almost lost to Houston for a SECOND time). 

Tannehill does not make the people around him better. He is good, but not good enough

That's what we are hoping Mitch is. He isn't going to be vastly different than he who he was in Chicago....but he may be more efficient with the Steelers. That's perfectly fine, but I don't think he is going to be much different than if Kenny was to start. And if that is true, than Kenny's experience gained this year is vastly more important over the next 2-4 years than any game Mitch plays in. 

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

Either of those two outcomes is preferable to me to letting Kenny be the starter without winning it.

Totally agree that Kenny needs to take the position rather than have it handed to him. But if its remotely close, I'm giving it to Kenny. And IMO, it's going to be close. 

We took 24 year old, 5th year starter for a reason. If he needs a redshirt season, we made a mistake. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...