49ers Training Camp 2022 Thread

49erurtaza

Sando did his annual QB rankings by tiers asking coaches/execs/etc around the league.

Jimmy G - Tier #3 ranked #16 overall

Lance - Tier #4 ranked #29 overall

IF Jimmy G really was thought of this highly around the league, he would have....nvm lol.

“Reminds me of (Ryan) Tannehill,” a coach said of Garoppolo. “Wins games, doesn’t play for the opponent, teammates respect him — the exact kind of guy we find ways to kick off the team.”

The decision appears agonizing for the 49ers.

“Jimmy is a 2, in my opinion, and the only reason anyone would say he’s a 3 is because of the injuries,” a head coach said. “Most of the 3s with a good run game and a good defense are still like .500 quarterbacks. San Francisco has been either to the Super Bowl or the NFC Championship three times with Jimmy. Once you do that, you are in that 2 category.”

“Why do you think they don’t like Jimmy G so much?” a former GM asked. “He is close to a 2 to me, but I’ll give him a 3. If I was the owner there, it would really piss me off (to be trading so much capital for Lance at Garoppolo’s expense, possibly without getting better).”

The 49ers want more than a Tier 3 system quarterback.

“Jimmy fits that Tier 3 category perfectly,” a quarterbacks coach said. “Like you say, a lower-volume drop-back pass offense, lots of movement, lots of play-action, lots of eye candy with fly/jet sweeps. And then you need playmakers around him like he has had in San Francisco.”

“That would be like my early Christmas present if they just get rid of Jimmy, so that way he can’t play for them, and then make Trey be your guy,” a coach whose team plays the 49ers this season said.

“Sure, the more he plays, the better he will probably get, but he is a 4, and I feel like he is probably the bottom 4 for me,” a voter from the NFC West said. “Just think about it. You get Russell Wilson out of here and now we’ve got Trey Lance playing and it is like, ‘Oh, thank you.’ It just went from a really good quarterback division to being one of the softer divisions.”

https://theathletic.com/3443022/2022/07/25/nfl-best-quarterbacks-tiers/

Well then lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Sando did his annual QB rankings by tiers asking coaches/execs/etc around the league.

IF Jimmy G really was thought of this highly around the league, he would have....nvm lol.

Well then lol.

We have clearly made a mistake. 

The solution is clear...

#Jimmyforstarter2022

4 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Well then lol.

A lot of this is fascinating to me. I don't disagree that Jimmy finds ways to win and be successful and that in the right situation he can continue to do so. However, a lot of the reasoning for his come from behind wins are due to his limitations. He starts the fire and puts it out. That doesn't seem to be very sustainable over time. Also, if these guys really feel this way why doesn't the league reflect the same? I believe teams respect Jimmy. I don't think they fear him. I don't get the hate......or maybe a better word is dismissiveness towards Trey. I get not wanting to crown a guy before getting a real sample size of him on the field. The measurables aren't arguable. The physical traits aren't arguable. I would even say the mental aspect from all accounts isn't arguable. It's just a matter of the results on the field showing. The idea of players preferring Jimmy that I read earlier is believable because at the end of the day winning matters. However, once it's proven on the field the players buy in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, clarkfn2284 said:

A lot of this is fascinating to me. I don't disagree that Jimmy finds ways to win and be successful and that in the right situation he can continue to do so. However, a lot of the reasoning for his come from behind wins are due to his limitations. He starts the fire and puts it out. That doesn't seem to be very sustainable over time. Also, if these guys really feel this way why doesn't the league reflect the same? I believe teams respect Jimmy. I don't think they fear him. I don't get the hate......or maybe a better word is dismissiveness towards Trey. I get not wanting to crown a guy before getting a real sample size of him on the field. The measurables aren't arguable. The physical traits aren't arguable. I would even say the mental aspect from all accounts isn't arguable. It's just a matter of the results on the field showing. The idea of players preferring Jimmy that I read earlier is believable because at the end of the day winning matters. However, once it's proven on the field the players buy in.

FWIW, Mac Jones was the highest ranking from the rookies last year at 18, Lawrence was 23, Fields 25, and Wilson 28. Rookies/young players start out low until they show they are elite. For instance, after Josh Allens first year he was ranked essentially where Trey is at at 3.89 (Trey is 3.94)

I think its a pretty fair ranking system for the most part.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

FWIW, Mac Jones was the highest ranking from the rookies last year at 18, Lawrence was 23, Fields 25, and Wilson 28. Rookies/young players start out low until they show they are elite. For instance, after Josh Allens first year he was ranked essentially where Trey is at at 3.89 (Trey is 3.94)

Yep. Mahomes was #31 in 2018 as well. 

Just now, Ftn49 said:

Im not questioning the tier based ranking system. Im questioning the logic from the executives that are being quoted. 100% on board for making Trey prove his worth, but some of the statements are pretty rough. The idea that Jimmy doesn't play for the other team is ridiculous. Jimmy unfortunately, creates a lot of the issues for himself. His skillset imo limits the offense and he continued to make the same mistakes. I also have an issue with his footwork in the pocket. At the end of the day executives and coaches like guys that help you win. Jimmy by all means is exact to that definition. He isn't getting guys fired and for all intents and purposes is the prototypical locker room leader. There is a lot to be said about a guy that will have his guys take up for him. I think it is Jimmy's most redeeming quality and it is something I think lacks a lot in sports in general. However, at some point the organization has to want to achieve the next step. I don't think we can argue that Jimmy has limitations and those limitations are a very big reason as to why they have not taken that next step. It obviously never falls on just one guy, but elite talent tends to mask the flaws of the coaching, depth and execution. The question is, is Trey that elite talent?

21 minutes ago, clarkfn2284 said:

Im not questioning the tier based ranking system. Im questioning the logic from the executives that are being quoted. 100% on board for making Trey prove his worth, but some of the statements are pretty rough. The idea that Jimmy doesn't play for the other team is ridiculous. Jimmy unfortunately, creates a lot of the issues for himself. His skillset imo limits the offense and he continued to make the same mistakes. I also have an issue with his footwork in the pocket. At the end of the day executives and coaches like guys that help you win. Jimmy by all means is exact to that definition. He isn't getting guys fired and for all intents and purposes is the prototypical locker room leader. There is a lot to be said about a guy that will have his guys take up for him. I think it is Jimmy's most redeeming quality and it is something I think lacks a lot in sports in general. However, at some point the organization has to want to achieve the next step. I don't think we can argue that Jimmy has limitations and those limitations are a very big reason as to why they have not taken that next step. It obviously never falls on just one guy, but elite talent tends to mask the flaws of the coaching, depth and execution. The question is, is Trey that elite talent?

You also have to look at who is saying something. Both of the guys with negative things to say are on teams we play this year. One from our own division. This was also said directly in the article.

“It’s amazing how quickly you can lose the perception,” an evaluator said. “Three months before the draft, people were like, ‘Ahhh, I’m not sure Trey Lance is a first-rounder.’ Then as it got closer to the draft, ‘Hey, really smart, handles himself really well, has CEO traits, I can understand it.’ And now people are completely dumping on him. It happens at that position more than any other. You either have it or you don’t.”

I'm also sure Sando just used whichever lines were the most quotable, there was plenty critical of almost every player. Or things that could be taken as critical without much effort.

Edited by Ftn49

42 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

You also have to look at who is saying something. Both of the guys with negative things to say are on teams we play this year. One from our own division. This was also said directly in the article.

I'm also sure Sando just used whichever lines were the most quotable, there was plenty critical of almost every player. Or things that could be taken as critical without much effort.

No doubt. The early Christmas present comment is one that stands out. I don't think we have been able to discern a whole lot after 8 quarters of game planned football from last season. Can we just get the guy on the field and let him work at this point. This camp is one of the most intriguing in a long time. I will be curious to see what comes out and what the overall perception is from the guys that cover it daily versus those who cover it from afar using what they hear. I just don't see the venue for failure for Trey. Obviously there is one, but he doesn't strike me as going in that direction.  The offense can be schemed to protect, although I don't want to see that happen. I would love to see the training wheels come off and for the team to let him play in and out of the structure. 

8 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

“That would be like my early Christmas present if they just get rid of Jimmy, so that way he can’t play for them, and then make Trey be your guy,” a coach whose team plays the 49ers this season said.

6nwazc.jpg

• Like 3

IF there was any doubt about Trey and him being the starter, Shanny pretty much put it to bed officially on Kawakami's podcast. 

Shanny said he wants to come out firing in the first half of the year and not have all the must win games like last year to close the season out.

Jimmy will be in the building tomorrow to take his physical. Said no hard feelings but Jimmy will be elsewhere before week 1 and he's not going to participate in the practices. 

• Like 2