GDT: Arizona Cardinals vs Houston Texans

Texansfan713

FWIW - watched postgame and gotta at least give Savage credit for being a stand up guy every week and acknowledging his shortcomings.  It's at least easier to root for a guy that has humility and self-awareness (if not pocket awareness).  I was always amazed how Osweiler managed to come off as an entitled arrogant bastard every week that gifted us with the presence of his Elway/Manning kissed hand.  I was convinced O'Brien was just showing him tape of his 3 good games as a Bronco every week, as it didn't come across as Ryan Mallett-ish false-bravado, but dude thought he was playing great.   Savage will be a decent backup somewhere if he is ever is able to get comfortable in a pocket with real NFL lineman, learns to take a hit, and builds some confidence.  Unlike Yates or Johnson there still is a glimpse of upside with Savage.

1 hour ago, Apollo Stallion said:

FWIW - watched postgame and gotta at least give Savage credit for being a stand up guy every week and acknowledging his shortcomings.  It's at least easier to root for a guy that has humility and self-awareness (if not pocket awareness).  I was always amazed how Osweiler managed to come off as an entitled arrogant bastard every week that gifted us with the presence of his Elway/Manning kissed hand.  I was convinced O'Brien was just showing him tape of his 3 good games as a Bronco every week, as it didn't come across as Ryan Mallett-ish false-bravado, but dude thought he was playing great.   Savage will be a decent backup somewhere if he is ever is able to get comfortable in a pocket with real NFL lineman, learns to take a hit, and builds some confidence.  Unlike Yates or Johnson there still is a glimpse of upside with Savage.

Agree completely!

From PFF

TOP 5 GRADES:

S Eddie Pleasant, 88.5 overall grade

S Andre Hal, 85.4 overall grade

WR DeAndre Hopkins, 82.8 overall grade

Edge Jadeveon Clowney, 82.3 overall grade

CB Marcus Williams, 78.9 overall grade

PERFORMANCES OF NOTE:

WR DEANDRE HOPKINS, 82.8 OVERALL GRADE

Hopkins was once again QB Tom Savage’s favorite receiver as he led the Texans with eight targets, including seven in the coverage of CB Patrick Peterson. Hopkins had mixed results against Peterson, as he came three of his seven targets for 65 yards and a touchdown in the coverage of Arizona’s elite cornerback.

RB LAMAR MILLER, 73.8 OVERALL GRADE

Miller had a difficult afternoon running with the football, as his offensive line provided him just 10 yards before contact on his 22 runs. Nevertheless, Miller averaged 2.36 yards after contact and broke two tackles on the day. However, he really impressed as a receiver, he caught four of his five targets, including an athletic sideline reception in the end zone.

EDGE JADEVEON CLOWNEY, 82.3 OVERALL GRADE

Clowney had a sack, a hit and a hurry on 37 pass-rushing snaps in the game, but was also an absolute monster in the running game. Too much for anyone the Texans lined up against him one-on-one, he finished the game with a 90.4 run-defense grade, and registered two tackles, one resulting in a defensive stop.

EDDIE PLEASANT, 88.5 OVERALL GRADE

Pleasant saw plenty of targets in coverage in the game, with six passes coming his way. Four resulted in receptions, going for 38 yards, but the two that didn’t result in completions came in the form of a pass breakup and a crucial interception.

3 hours ago, Marco79 said:

I'm getting my hopes up and I can't wait to have them completely spoiled in heartbreaking fashion on MNF.

Let me help you out.  The Texans at their best:

1) Don't win on the road

4 of last 6 are on the road

2) Don't beat teams with winning records.

4 of last 6 are against teams with winning records 

3) Lost to the 3-7 Colts AT HOME two weeks ago (a team who's point differential is only a TD better than the Browns)

We will be favored in only 1 game the rest of the season (49ers at home) and they will likely be starting Garappolo by then.  We have lost to his backup, Jacoby Brissett, twice in a row.

Ravens are an absolutely beatable team that would be a good matchup if we weren't fielding a CFL quality o-line and secondary.  Fully expect Flacco, Maclin, and Wallace to turn the clock back 4 years and run free against this secondary in a blowout.  Honestly, the pathetic state of the AFC makes the Texans failure this season that much more maddening as we not only are missing our prime window of opportunity, but we let it walk straight out the door with Brooks, Bouye, and Brown and the 2018 draft.  Not only did we let the Jags and Titans waltz past us in our division, we have squandered the rare opportunity where teams that have owned us like the Broncos, Ravens, and Chargers are in transition. The 2014 Fitz or 2015 Hoyer Texans might be looking at a first round bye in the playoffs against this 2017 AFC if they hadn't been actively broken by the GM.

1 hour ago, Apollo Stallion said:

Honestly, the pathetic state of the AFC makes the Texans failure this season that much more maddening as we not only are missing our prime window of opportunity, but we let it walk straight out the door with Brooks, Bouye, and Brown and the 2018 draft. 

That is what is getting me the most.  If we have a decent secondary (swap Bouye for KJax) and DW4 (plus either Mercilus or Watt if I am being greedy), I think we would be looking at 8-2 (still lose to the Jags - they just plain Mr. T'd / 1st fight us in the opener - and Rams or Pats or Seahawks).

But alas it was not to be...

I really feel like if we get healthy, get Mercilus, Watsons, Foreman, Fuller, Johnson and others at 100% by next season, add a few pieces in free agency and with the draft picks we do have, and I think the right coach can come in and see instant 10-11 win season. 

next year we get the Jets, Dolphins and Bills and its looking like we will get the Bengals and Raiders or chargers. Plus we get the Giants and Indy x2. thats 8 games we should be favored in right off the bat. a split with the Jags and Titans and we have a 10 win season, then win 1 against Redskins, Cowboys, Eagles or Patriots and we can get 11.

Archived