PC Gamers and Tech

19 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Have a question about monitors and refresh rate. I have 2 of these monitors in the link below. Both of them advertise 170Hz refresh rate. However, when I go into System>Display>Advanced Display on my computer and click 'choose refresh rate'— the only 3 options I have are 50hz, 59.94Hz and 60Hz.

What am I doing wrong and how do I get the 170Hz that the monitor is capable of?

https://www.microcenter.com/product/626571/acer-nitro-xv272u-27-2k-wqhd-(2560-x-1440)-170hz-gaming-monitor

Is this from a laptop or PC?  What are the specs on the GPU/Motherboard?

On 11/22/2022 at 2:20 PM, flyers0909 said:

Is this from a laptop or PC?  What are the specs on the GPU/Motherboard?

I figured it out. I have a RTX 3070 and Acer Nitro 1440p monitors. The issue was they are advertised as 170hz but when you look at the fine print--it says 'overclock capable to 170hz' but they are actually native 60hz.

So I spent last night googling/youtubing how to overclock your monitor. I saw that it was in the Nvidia Control Panel where you can create 'custom resolutions'. The next problem was no custom resolution was saving for me. I would create it, set it to 144z (because I didnt want to max it all the way to 170hz for performance) and it wouldnt show up to select after saving.

SO.....after more googling/youtubing I figured out of Reddit that this is a known bug with Nvidia where your custom resolutions wont save. However, I got the idea to search for 'overclocking monitor software' and found one online that had a bunch of articles written about it that basically overrides your system settings and sets the resolution for the GPU.

I downloaded it, set the profile to 144hz and BOOM I now have a overlocked 144hz 1440p monitors and after checking Windows Display Settings and Nvidia control panel, both have my monitors refresh rate at 144hz from this 3rd party overclocking software I downloaded.

Also I figured out in this process that DP cables give you a higher refresh rate than HDMI. So I went on Amazon and bought a 10ft DP cable lol Final touch

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I think my graphics card may be dying, but not 100% sure.

Was playing Witcher 3 just fine until today and now I keep getting weird graphical glitches and flashes of weird colors when playing.   

Going to mess around with it some more and maybe try a few more games just to test it.

And yes, my drivers are up to date.

2 hours ago, 43M said:

Was playing Witcher 3 just fine until today and now I keep getting weird graphical glitches and flashes of weird colors when playing.   

Going to mess around with it some more and maybe try a few more games just to test it.

I wouldnt use a CDPR game as a benchmark. Could just be the game glitching. I get the smae sort of things on Witcher and Cyberpunk, on my PS5.

• Like 2

I got a 64gb steam deck and replaced the storage with a 1 TB ssd. This thing is pretty amazing. So many plugin to integrate things like Protondb, How Long to Beat, CSS loader to customize the homepage, intro movies, alternative game artwork, ProtonGe, CryoUtilities, Emudeck, etc. The software experience is untouchable.

Also it plays games I guess.

• Like 2

On 4/30/2023 at 7:22 AM, 43M said:

My GeForce drivers wont update but everything is working fine. When I download the drivers, it gives me a error saying 'an error occurred' during install

It doesnt seem to be impacting any of my games, but I have a feeling maybe in the future it will

Edited by AkronsWitness

2 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

My GeForce drivers wont update but everything is working fine. When I download the drivers, it gives me a error saying 'an error occurred' during install

It doesnt seem to be impacting any of my games, but I have a feeling maybe in the future it will

Did you try a clean install of the drivers instead of just updating it? Instead of clicking express install hit custom and checkmark the box for a clean install of the drivers.

51 minutes ago, Geek said:

Did you try a clean install of the drivers instead of just updating it? Instead of clicking express install hit custom and checkmark the box for a clean install of the drivers.

I tired that too and still get the same error. It says 'Preparing for Installation' and then says 'error has occured'

Edited by AkronsWitness