Buying or Selling

Big T

As we enter rookie camp for the Jets and a week away from the vets reporting. It should be apparent that there are some storylines we can look at.

Such as who makes this team and who gets traded or released. First off JD will look to make a trade before he releases any Jet and with that in mind, there are players who are on the bubble at 1 Jets Drive.

So let"s buy or sell considering the state of the Jets.

1. Will the Jets sign or trade for another Tackle? Buy or Sell?

2. Will Becton be in shape ready to play and can he play an entire season or be traded? Buy or Sell?

3. Will Trevon Wesco make the team or will J.D. trade him? Buy or Sell?

4. Will Mims be traded before the season starts or does he remain a Jet considering the depth at WR? Buy or Sell?

5. Will White be on the roster or be traded? Buy or Sell?

6. Will the Jets extend George Fant seeing he is 30 years old and will be 31 come next season? Buy or Sell?

7. Can Max Mitchell made a quicker impact and solidify a weak backup group of Tackles? Buy or Sell?

8. Will the Jets rookie class make more of an impact than we can imagine? Buy or Sell?  

9. Will the Jets add more LB's before the season ? Buy or Sell?

10. Will the Jets have more wins than 7? Buy or Sell?

22 hours ago, Big T said:

As we enter rookie camp for the Jets and a week away from the vets reporting. It should be apparent that there are some storylines we can look at.

Such as who makes this team and who gets traded or released. First off JD will look to make a trade before he releases any Jet and with that in mind, there are players who are on the bubble at 1 Jets Drive.

So let"s buy or sell considering the state of the Jets.

2. Will Becton be in shape ready to play and can he play an entire season or be traded? Buy or Sell?

4. Will Mims be traded before the season starts or does he remain a Jet considering the depth at WR? Buy or Sell?

6. Will the Jets extend George Fant seeing he is 30 years old and will be 31 come next season? Buy or Sell?

7. Can Max Mitchell made a quicker impact and solidify a weak backup group of Tackles? Buy or Sell?

8. Will the Jets rookie class make more of an impact than we can imagine? Buy or Sell?  

1. Sell. Fant, Becton, McDermott, Mitchell is good. And AVT can always slide to OT if we had to.

2. Yes. I think he comes to camp in shape and works. Doesn't win the LT spot but still starts at RT and does good there. Hopefully he can just stay healthy (freak injuries are just part of the game unfortunately).

3. Wesco I think gets cut.

4. I think he makes the team and tries to show out when given the opportunity. Problem is he's 100% no higher than 5th on the depth chart (he even has to battle Smith for that spot). So injuries will have to occur for him to get action. And we don't want injuries. I don't think he gets traded bc he's more valuable to us as depth and potential than the draft pick we'd get in return.

5. Yes. I think we carry 3 QBs. But Flacco will be QB2

6. I think we don't extend him before or during the season. After all that was Fant's really only good season in his career. So to pay the guy top LT money at 30 for 1 good year in an 8 year career isn't the smartest.

7. I think he's not getting snaps unless injuries occur. He has T/G flexibility, so he's valuable to us. Just picking up the scheme and all will determine where he falls on the depth chart.

8. I think Hall will be in the running for OROY. So I 100% expect him to make a huge impact. Sauce I think will struggle at times as a lot of young CBs do. But I think he finishes the year strong and shows he has CB1 potential. JJ I think makes the smallest impact. And that's bc of how much we'll rotate the DL. He's not going to be getting 75% of snaps like a lot of 1st round DEs will. Hopefully he shows enough in those snaps to earn more and more and makes himself that much harder to take out to rest. Wilson is the one I'm confused about. For the 1st time in forever we have a good WR room. So I think it's matter of targets for a lot of our guys. Especially when we're pretty much a run 1st team. I think his play will be great. I just don't think he gets the targets to take the league by storm and show he's a WR1. I think a healthy Davis and Moore still get more targets than him. Ruckert is kind of in the same boat. He's not going to start. But we can roll with 3 TEs in sets (Conklin as a FB) and really bruise teams that way. But I think his receiving numbers will be pretty low being the 3rd guy for us. But like anywhere in football. He's an injury away from being s starter pretty much.

9. I hope they do. Maybe they're waiting to see how Nas and Sherwood show up to camp and have adjusted to the LB move after another year. I think we also have to keep in mind that I think our main sets will be mostly with 2 LBs. So with Mosley and Q as starters, anyone after that is mostly depth. But I'd still like to see us add someone there.

10. 7 wins is about what I have us at. A lot can alter that and that's mainly on Wilson as well as the pass rush. Those 2 things fire and we're looking more at a playoff team. They don't work out and we'll be at the top of the draft again. Wilson has no excuses now. We have an OL, 2 good RBs, 3 good TEs and 5-6 good WRs. It's time to play. Same for the pass rush. Lawson is back and we've added JJ and Martin along with getting Curry back. All while Huff will be healthy and JFM can move inside where he's more disruptive. QB play and pass rush is what wins games in this league. And on paper we have a young group with talent, but they need to make it show on the field now. 

1. Will the Jets sign or trade for another Tackle? Buy. McDoormat and Edogcrap cannot play meaningful snaps and Mitchell isn’t ready. Now I think AVT can play RT with Herbig stepping in at RG but idk how Douglas and co feel about that. I think we bring in a vet who gets cut around camp.

2. Will Becton be in shape ready to play and can he play an entire season or be traded? Becton will not be a shape and will not play the entire season.

3. Will Trevon Wesco make the team or will J.D. trade him? He won’t make the team and no one will trade for him. Belichick will sign him off waivers.

4. Will Mims be traded before the season starts or does he remain a Jet considering the depth at WR? Mims will be traded for a 4th.

5. Will White be on the roster or be traded? Buy.

6. Will the Jets extend George Fant seeing he is 30 years old and will be 31 come next season? Sell. No need to commit to Fant right now. He’ll play out his deal and we’ll worry about a contract later on.

7. Can Max Mitchell made a quicker impact and solidify a weak backup group of Tackles? Sell. He’s gonna need to get NFL strong first. Once he does that I think he solidified the swing tackle position,

8. Will the Jets rookie class make more of an impact than we can imagine? Buy. None of them will be asked to carry the load by themselves in their respective rooms. All will be part of rotations outside of Gardner. 

9. Will the Jets add more LB's before the season ? Maybe. Gotta see who gets cut.

10. Will the Jets have more wins than 7? Buy. Backend of the schedule is really favorable.

BUY - Mitchell is developmental and Becton is hard to trust with health. IMO this needs to happen.

BUY and SELL - I think he will be in shape but still won play a full season or at the most he'll miss snaps in a handful of games.

SELL - Nick Bawden for FB

SELL - Mims will be on the team and not get traded and hopefully shows enough that they are comfortable with him being Corey Davis' replacement after this year.

BUY - He should absolutely be on the team. He has proved he can be a high quality backup and make plays. Cutting him would be a mistake.

SELL - he was very solid last year but I think he needs to prove it wasn't a fluke. $10mil a year for him over 3 years was a decent commitment already for an extremely raw OT

SELL - I wouldn't go into the season with him as a swing tackle. Let him develop. Massive jump from where he played ball in college.

BUY - I think this rookie class will have a major impact one way or another. I think they'll have to if we are to hope for progress and I see a lot of them penciled in to play big roles.

SELL - I think they like their group + the S to LB coverts from last year just a little too much. I feel like they would have already signed Kwon. I hope I am wrong, Nas was not good last year and Sherwood got hurt too early to even know what he is yet. 

SELL - I think 7-10 is exactly what we'll be but it will hopefully be an encouraging 7-10. I also think 7 is the absolute minimum this season to feel like we are headed in the right direction and to feel like we may just have the QB and HC. I think its impossible to say that Joe Douglas has not done his job. We need to start seeing the results. The division is difficult and the conference overall is stacked, but every year teams under-achieve that we don't see. We need to start ascending and hopefully continue to moving forward. I could see 8 wins personally too, but if I was a betting man 7 would be it. 

On 7/20/2022 at 8:26 AM, Big T said:

1.  It will depend on 2.  I am 60/40 buy.  JD values OL and McDermott is uninspiring and Mitchell is a rookie 4th round pick.  Who's Edoga?

2.  Sell.  He won't be in Saleh shape but depending on how close he is will impact 1.

3.  He gone.

4.  Mims will be here.  They had ample opportunity to trade him and did not.  They want to see him out there.

5.  JD will entertain MFW trades but none are good enough.  The caveat is if a starter goes down in TC, then maybe.

6.  I believe the tried to extend Fant but Fant wants big $.  JD will wait until after the season to see how he does this year.

7.  Mitchell will be the first OT off the bench.  I think the Jets drafted him with the hopes of him starting in a year or two.

8.  The rooks will make an impact on the Jets only because we lack so much talent.  On most teams their impact would be minimal.

9.  Nope.

10.  They will have more than 7 wins.

8 minutes ago, xrade said:

1.  It will depend on 2.  I am 60/40 buy.  JD values OL and McDermott is uninspiring and Mitchell is a rookie 4th round pick.  Who's Edoga?

2.  Sell.  He won't be in Saleh shape but depending on how close he is will impact 1.

3.  He gone.

4.  Mims will be here.  They had ample opportunity to trade him and did not.  They want to see him out there.

5.  JD will entertain MFW trades but none are good enough.  The caveat is if a starter goes down in TC, then maybe.

6.  I believe the tried to extend Fant but Fant wants big $.  JD will wait until after the season to see how he does this year.

7.  Mitchell will be the first OT off the bench.  I think the Jets drafted him with the hopes of him starting in a year or two.

8.  The rooks will make an impact on the Jets only because we lack so much talent.  On most teams their impact would be minimal.

9.  Nope.

10.  They will have more than 7 wins.

So which one is it? We definitely do not lack so much talent, not anymore. The only position group we don't have legit talent is Linebacker. Every other position group either has a high quality starter or first round draft pick recently drafted. If this team is getting its *** kicked we simply hired the wrong coach. 

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

So which one is it? We definitely do not lack so much talent, not anymore. The only position group we don't have legit talent is Linebacker. Every other position group either has a high quality starter or first round draft pick recently drafted. If this team is getting its *** kicked we simply hired the wrong coach. 

Those 7 wins or more will not be because our rookies played great.  It will be because ZW took a leap, our OL is playing well, and the overall D play with Lawson back.  My point about the rooks is that they typically don't make a huge impact their first year.  Whether it is because of lack of PT or learning on the fly.  Yes, there are exceptions (see Chase, Ja'Marr). 

I probably could have worded the "lack of talent" part better.  What I meant was that our rooks will play a lot and not get to sit and learn because we lacked so much talent that they are needed right now.  Therefore, they will have a bigger impact on the Jets than if they were playing in Buffalo where they would probably not be starting right away.  This team has some talent now but many are young and still need to learn to be NFL players.

I think they'll be happy with Becton, Fant, and Mitchell. If he were to trade for someone, it would be for a pro-bowl caliber OT he didn't have to give up much for. 

I think he'll be pretty good this season. 

I haven't been keeping up with him, but unless he adjusted his weight to be a great FB, he's not making the team. He may not even be a top-5 TE on this roster. 

Preseason trade to a team with an injured WR. I still like him, I just don't see it happening here. 

I honestly thought he would have been traded by now. If he gets another chance and lights it up, I hope we trade him. Get someone that will actually help the team. 

It's all based on Mitchell and how fast he can prove himself. If he's good, Fant will be gone after this season. Fant knows he can start somewhere. 

I can see him catching on by week 12-13. He just needs to get stronger and sharpen his technique a bit. It can be done.

It wouldn't surprise me if this turned out to be one of the best Jets draft classes of all time. Sauce, Wilson, Johnson, and Hall are all contenders for OROY & DROY. I can't recall the last time we had at least 4 that could make that kind of impact.

I feel like this group is really thin. We have a completely open spot and if Mosely or Williams get hurt, we're really screwed. 

For the first time, we all like our offensive scheme. I wasn't too happy with the defensive calling for 70% of the games, but I love the additions we made there. Although our schedule is insane, I think our run first offense and improved defense will keep us in most of these games. Last year was a crazy fluke injury year, so I think the team was a little better than what we saw. With the additions, we'll be contenders soon.