Are the Saints the Best Team in Football?

goldfishwars

Are the Saints the Best Team in football?   

125 members have voted

1. 1. Are the Saints the Best Team in football?

People said for years, if the Saints only had a middle of the pack defense then they would contend again. 

This year, they have:

• Future HOF QB with no obvious signs of decline
  • A dominant run blocking unit
  • Two complimentary backs with starting calibre talents
  • League 1st in running touchdowns (14)
  • League 1st in sacks conceded (8)
  • Deep roster talent on defense 
  • An excellent pass defense - since Week 3, the Saints have allowed a league-best 26.5 Total QBR
  • Top rated corner in football
  • Cameron Jordan on pace to break his own season sack record
  • Top 10 in interceptions and forced fumbles

They haven't even had to leave on Drew Brees because the running game has been so effective, but that is in the locker if they need it. 

2 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

They have seven wins.. but included in those are Miami, Packers (Hundley), Bears, Bucs, Bills.

They've split against objectively good teams: Vikings (L), Patriots (L), Panthers (W), Lions (W).

If you want to get into that line of thinking, who have the Eagles beat? Their one quality win is against the Panthers. 

I voted yes but the answer is no.  Brees is showing some signs of decline, but it isn't very significant.  His deep balls are mostly floaters.

Saints defense has also played some bad offenses.  Although they have dominated them, which is what a good defense is suppose to do.

This team with a prime Drew Brees would be really scary though.

5 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

If you want to get into that line of thinking, who have the Eagles beat? Their one quality win is against the Panthers. 

Fair enough but outside of the 49ers and Giants, the other teams the Eagles have beat (WAS, ARI, LAC, DEN, CAR) are a more impressive bunch than the likes of MIA, TB, GB, etc.

Just now, cddolphin said:

Fair enough but outside of the 49ers and Giants, the other teams the Eagles have beat (WAS, ARI, LAC, DEN, CAR) are a more impressive bunch than the likes of MIA, TB, GB, etc.

If they are, it isn't by much. Those are all obviously inferior teams that should get beat by teams like the Saints and Eagles. It shouldn't count for much either way.

Also, CAR does not belong in that list you put them in. They are head and shoulders above WAS, ARI, LAC, and DEN. 

24 minutes ago, tonyto36 said:

I think while their defense has certainly gotten better, part of it has been opponents. 

Their stats are inflated because... Panthers [13 points] Dolphins [0 points], (Rodger-less) Packers [17 points], Bears [12 points],  Bucs [10 points], Bills [10 points].

Then you have Patriots [36 points], Lions [52 points] 

Compare the QBs of list one to list two.  I'm noticing a pretty substantial difference.  

They're comfortably top five but behind Eagles and Patriots and about the same as Chiefs and STeelers IMO.

Lions scored 38, but only 24 offensive points. And most of those came in one quarter.  

13 minutes ago, OleXmad said:

They're not even the best team in their division... 

Yeah? Who is? The 5-4 Falcons? The 7-3 Panthers we put a spanking on in their own house?

I don't think we're the best team in the league but c'mon we've been better than the Panthers so far this year. 

I've been hesitant to trust this team after the past few years but I'm starting to believe they're a contender. Their formula for success is entirely different from before. This is not the same team. They are a run-first team that controls the clock and keeps the game at a pace that's easily manageable for our game manager QB who also happens to be Drew Brees. It starts with the defense, and yes they've played against some bad offenses, but I know for a fact the team from previous years would let any offense light them up. In 2015 almost every single QB who played the Saints but up big numbers. Look past the statistics and look at the WRs and RBs the Saints have played against this year. That's an impressive list with more than enough talent to make the old Saints look silly. These wins haven't been flukes. The style they play now is much more sustainable than putting all the pressure on Drew Brees to win shootouts.

I won't call them the best team just yet since they still really need to prove it against another contender. But I will ask this, why are the Eagles and Rams automatically better? Their QBs and coaches don't have much experience. They still need to prove they won't crash back down to Earth when things get really tough. The Vikings QB situation isn't very solid either. On the AFC side, the Steelers and Chiefs have been inconsistent. The Patriots are the Patriots but it's not like they've been perfect all year. I don't think there is a clear "Best team" yet so far.

Just now, Spartica4Real said:

Yeah? Who is? The 5-4 Falcons? The 7-3 Panthers we put a spanking on in their own house?

I don't think we're the best team in the league but c'mon we've been better than the Panthers so far this year. 

Yea I don't know what that guy is thinking.  We have a better record than the Panthers and have already blown them out at their own field.

Anything can happen between now and playoffs, but as of right now, Saints are the best team in the NFC South.

Archived