Are the Saints the Best Team in Football?

goldfishwars

Are the Saints the Best Team in football?   

125 members have voted

1. 1. Are the Saints the Best Team in football?

3 minutes ago, NS922 said:

I won't call them the best team just yet since they still really need to prove it against another contender. But I will ask this, why are the Eagles and Rams automatically better? Their QBs and coaches don't have much experience. They still need to prove they won't crash back down to Earth when things get really tough. The Vikings QB situation isn't very solid either. On the AFC side, the Steelers and Chiefs have been inconsistent. The Patriots are the Patriots but it's not like they've been perfect all year. I don't think there is a clear "Best team" yet so far.

I think you're dead on with that last sentiment. We'll get a real feel for how good these upper tier teams are in the coming weeks. 

One last note on the Saints- their OL is fantastic this year. Their investments have finally paid off. Then you've got an impressive 1-2 punch at RB that makes them look even better. Saints are definitely the real deal

I like what the Saints defense has done but they played Panthers (Cam who we know is an enigma especially at home and plus I don’t think he was fully back from his shoulder surgery during the offseason), Bucs (in NO with a banged up Winston who shouldn’t have played and got knocked out of the game, Dolphins (Cutler and that offense sucks), Trubisky (rookie QB in NO with no receivers), Hundley (making his first start ever), Stafford (banged up and probably could barely move on that ankle in NO where the Saints has an extra week to prepare coming off a BYE), and Tyrod (who isn’t a good natural thrower of the football working with a new receiver on a team that didn’t have a good passing game).

While Im not trying to discredit the Saints defense, we all can agree they didn’t play anyone in a good position to threaten the Saints a bit. The Saints still have the Falcons twice, Panthers again (Cam looks finally healthy), the Rams high powered offense in LA. That’s just to name a few. Their defense will get tested like it did in Weeks 1 & 2. I do like what the Saints have been doing running the football. I’m not going to say they are the best team in the NFL though. They are top 5 tough.

4 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I like what the Saints defense has done but they played Panthers (Cam who we know is an enigma especially at home and plus I don’t think he was fully back from his shoulder surgery during the offseason), Bucs (in NO with a banged up Winston who shouldn’t have played and got knocked out of the game, Dolphins (Cutler and that offense sucks), Trubisky (rookie QB in NO with no receivers), Hundley (making his first start ever), Stafford (banged up and probably could barely move on that ankle in NO where the Saints has an extra week to prepare coming off a BYE), and Tyrod (who isn’t a good natural thrower of the football working with a new receiver on a team that didn’t have a good passing game).

While Im not trying to discredit the Saints defense, we all can agree they didn’t play anyone in a good position to threaten the Saints a bit. The Saints still have the Falcons twice, Panthers again (Cam looks finally healthy), the Rams high powered offense in LA. That’s just to name a few. Their defense will get tested like it did in Weeks 1 & 2. I do like what the Saints have been doing running the football. I’m not going to say they are the best team in the NFL though. They are top 5 tough.

I accept the knock against us that we played bad offenses, it is the truth.  But we've also shut a team out, which is hard to do period, and held several teams to like 3 non garbage time points.  It's still impressive defense, especially considering these same hurt, rookie QBs would have thrown for 400 yards and 4 TDs against us and looked like MVP candidates the past three years.

33 minutes ago, Spartica4Real said:

Yeah? Who is? The 5-4 Falcons? The 7-3 Panthers we put a spanking on in their own house?

I don't think we're the best team in the league but c'mon we've been better than the Panthers so far this year. 

I'll still take the panthers over the saints right now. 

NO was probably our second or third most comfortable win this season. Their defense clearly wasn't up to much that early in the season, compared to now though. Vaccaro was in a daze, Anzalone was left one-on-one with Gronk etc. Lattirmore was still lockdown though. I think we could see NO in the NFC CG with Eagles. They're in the 3-6 range, for me. 

17 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

NO was probably our second or third most comfortable win this season. Their defense clearly wasn't up to much that early in the season, compared to now though. Vaccaro was in a daze, Anzalone was left one-on-one with Gronk etc. Lattirmore was still lockdown though. I think we could see NO in the NFC CG with Eagles. They're in the 3-6 range, for me. 

I wouldn’t read too much into that Pats game, the Saints have been on a very steady upward trajectory since then with very important discoveries about what they can do well. The run game in particular has flourished, the line is healthy and the defense is really gelling. 

Honest question: Is anyone starting this topic if the Eagles had played (and continued at even their mean of performance this season) this past weekend?

It's a legit question.  The Saints are extraordinarily hot right now, but in terms of recency bias, they're benefiting from the fact that the more consistent and more successful team this season was on bye last week.

We're the 4th or 5th best team right now.

Eagles, Pats, Rams, Vikings are all better currently. The Saints have been hot, but those teams have been playing lights out as well. The next few weeks will tell us a lot about the NFL. Lots of good teams are playing each other.

13 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Honest question: Is anyone starting this topic if the Eagles had played (and continued at even their mean of performance this season) this past weekend?

It's a legit question.  The Saints are extraordinarily hot right now, but in terms of recency bias, they're benefiting from the fact that the more consistent and more successful team this season was on bye last week.

It's a little bit of that. Part of this is coming from the dismantling of the Bills, a game where Drew Brees was nothing more than a game manager. The Bills have been a surprise this season, so to see the Saints simply out-physical them is worthy of pause and reflection.

8 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

It's a little bit of that. Part of this is coming from the dismantling of the Bills, a game where Drew Brees was nothing more than a game manager. The Bills have been a surprise this season, so to see the Saints simply out-physical them is worthy of pause and reflection.

Fair point, but this is also the same Bills team that (barring some Tyrod Taylor garbage(man)-time detail) were blown out the week before by the Jets.

My point is really that people didn't have the Eagles' defense (which has been easier for people to sleep on because of the dynamism of the Eagles' offense) fresh in their minds - and that defense has been out-physicalling teams for most of the season.

Archived