Are the Saints the Best Team in Football?

goldfishwars

Are the Saints the Best Team in football?   

125 members have voted

1. 1. Are the Saints the Best Team in football?

2 hours ago, tonyto36 said:

I think while their defense has certainly gotten better, part of it has been opponents. 

Their stats are inflated because... Panthers [13 points] Dolphins [0 points], (Rodger-less) Packers [17 points], Bears [12 points],  Bucs [10 points], Bills [10 points].

Then you have Patriots [36 points], Lions [52 points] 

Compare the QBs of list one to list two.  I'm noticing a pretty substantial difference.  

They're comfortably top five but behind Eagles and Patriots and about the same as Chiefs and STeelers IMO.

That is box score scouting. First off against the Patriots the Saints had a much different team (several different players starting now) with many guys who were young and still building chemistry with each other. 

Regarding the Lions...They didn't score 52 points we did. Also the Lions offense only scored 24 points...The Saints defense scored 21 points against the Lions.

1 hour ago, goldfishwars said:

I wouldn’t read too much into that Pats game, the Saints have been on a very steady upward trajectory since then with very important discoveries about what they can do well. The run game in particular has flourished, the line is healthy and the defense is really gelling. 

Run game and running backs were fine against us. The OL is the major improvement - not that we destroyed Brees or anything.

I don't think they are the best team, but I believe that they have the best formula and team composition for a deep run this season. I haven't read through the thread but I'm sure it has been mentioned, the Saints aren't just Drew Breesing it down the field all game. They have a legitimate offense, moving the ball down the field on the ground with one of the best 1-2 punches in the league, with a HoF QB not doing much more than handing it off and taking what the defense gives him. I'm excited to watch the Saints once they get Snead involved again as well. Obviously, their D has been hot not allowing more than 17 points in the past 4 games. That Saints-Rams game will be a great one.. really hope to see NO-PHI match up in the playoffs this year. 

Been a pleasant surprise for the Saints. I'm not sure if anyone was expecting this type of season from them. NFC South stays wild for another season.

20 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

@Raves @Jlowe22 From your losses, how have teams done it? How would you draw up a blueprint to beating NO?

Well we lost both games before we started playing like we do now, so it's hard to say.  

We're still turnover prone, but teams haven't capitalized on their chances against us.

20 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

It's crazy how their defense is playing now compared to when I watched them play the Vikings. That was some of the worst defensive football I've watched, and I have seen my fair share.

Or maybe Bradford was just that good. Shame he got hurt.

3 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

I accept the knock against us that we played bad offenses, it is the truth.  But we've also shut a team out, which is hard to do period, and held several teams to like 3 non garbage time points.  It's still impressive defense, especially considering these same hurt, rookie QBs would have thrown for 400 yards and 4 TDs against us and looked like MVP candidates the past three years.

I totally agree with you. That’s why I said I like what the Saints are doing on defense. I’m not fully knocking them for that it’s just more of me looking forward to seeing how the Saints fair on defense against a strong offense. Can’t wait till Week 12 when the Saints travel to LA to face the Rams. Not overlooking the Vikings at all but regardless of the outcome the Saints/Rams game will he just as big, if not bigger than the Vikings/Rams game. Saints need the Rams to beat the Vikings just because the Vikings have the head to head victory over the Saints.

3 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

The Saints already beat Carolina in Carolina...and the Saints have improved considerably since that game. 

So? Divisional games are always a toss up unless one rival is terrible. I still like the panthers more as a team to beat this year. 

No but they are a top 5 team. That defense looks legit I know they have played bad offenses but they have studs on the DL and back end. Their linebackers I don't think is there strong spot but they can defend that pass well against good teams IMO with that pass rush and much improved secondary.

1 hour ago, Breesus mode said:

lulz

Do I really need to point out your best win this season was against the lions in which you gave up 38 points? The other two good teams you've played you've lost to them (I don't count week 3 Carolina as a good team since Newton was still rusty) 

56 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

@Raves @Jlowe22 From your losses, how have teams done it? How would you draw up a blueprint to beating NO?

Saints pass rush is still suspect and their LBs are solid but not overly athletic. I think you attack the Saints the same way the Saints are attacking other teams right now. Use the run to set up the pass. They've been vulnerable at times to the run this season. If you can get the run going, I think play action could really do some damage. I'm still not sold on Vacarro's coverage skills this season or the ability of the LBs to cover RBs out of the backfield. We'll see though. It's been quite the surprise year for me. After starting 0-2 I was ready to write this team off.....

Archived