Are the Saints the Best Team in Football?

goldfishwars

Are the Saints the Best Team in football?   

125 members have voted

1. 1. Are the Saints the Best Team in football?

2 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

No its literally the only arguement. Thats why they keep score. Thats why teams have records so we can have a concrete way to detetmine who is better. We dont let them arbitrarily run around for 3 hours then decide who we feel like won. The team with the best record is the best team period until someone beats them in the playoffs then they are not. Its not complicated. My 5 year old could figure that out. 

If the Eagles lose this week and the Saints win, then this is a debate Until then it is as simple as looking at the record. 

Is that what you really believe though? Or are you just making this argument because you believe the Eagles are the best team in the NFL (I don't disagree) and are just too lazy to make a real football argument?

Let's take a quick trip to an alternate reality and test the limits of your theory, this is all hypothetical.

Say the Eagles lost W1 at Home vs the Patriots in OT (0-1), then went on the road and pushed around a tough LA team (1-1) and then lost into OT again on the road in Pittsburg (1-2)

Then lets say the Cowboys barely beat the Browns at home in OT (1-0) and then went to Jax and got beat by 3 scored (1-1) before facing the 49ers @ AT&T again for another nail biter at home (2-1)

PHI 28 - NE 31 OT
PHI 35 @  LA 14 
PHI 21 - PIT 24 OT
(1-2)

DAL 17 - CLE 14
DAL 14 @ JAX 37
DAL 12 - SF 9
(2-1)

In that scenario, the Cowboys (2-1) are the better team than the Eagles (1-2) and it's not debatable. You're not willing to look at any context because the record tells you everything you want to know. Is that really what you think? That the record is the end all be all of which team is the best team? You wouldn't be making an argument that the Eagles are actually better than the Cowboys?

I'm not saying the Saints are the best team, or that the Eagles don't deserve to be  called the best team in the NFL (I've actually put PHI at #1 over the Patriots #2 in all my ranking) I'm just asking for a bit of critical thinking and football based contribution to a football discussion. 

If you really truly believe that's the way you determine the best team, I'll leave it alone because that's just a difference of opinion and not something we'll be able to resolve. If you acknowledge that maybe the Eagles could be the better team in that other scenario, then you'll understand why your argument is flawed.

24 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

Is that what you really believe though? Or are you just making this argument because you believe the Eagles are the best team in the NFL (I don't disagree) and are just too lazy to make a real football argument?

Let's take a quick trip to an alternate reality and test the limits of your theory, this is all hypothetical.

Say the Eagles lost W1 at Home vs the Patriots in OT (0-1), then went on the road and pushed around a tough LA team (1-1) and then lost into OT again on the road in Pittsburg (1-2)

Then lets say the Cowboys barely beat the Browns at home in OT (1-0) and then went to Jax and got beat by 3 scored (1-1) before facing the 49ers @ AT&T again for another nail biter at home (2-1)

PHI 28 - NE 31 OT
PHI 35 @  LA 14 
PHI 21 - PIT 24 OT
(1-2)

DAL 17 - CLE 14
DAL 14 @ JAX 37
DAL 12 - SF 9
(2-1)

In that scenario, the Cowboys (2-1) are the better team than the Eagles (1-2) and it's not debatable. You're not willing to look at any context because the record tells you everything you want to know. Is that really what you think? That the record is the end all be all of which team is the best team? You wouldn't be making an argument that the Eagles are actually better than the Cowboys?

I'm not saying the Saints are the best team, or that the Eagles don't deserve to be  called the best team in the NFL (I've actually put PHI at #1 over the Patriots #2 in all my ranking) I'm just asking for a bit of critical thinking and football based contribution to a football discussion. 

If you really truly believe that's the way you determine the best team, I'll leave it alone because that's just a difference of opinion and not something we'll be able to resolve. If you acknowledge that maybe the Eagles could be the better team in that other scenario, then you'll understand why your argument is flawed.

This is a 10 game sample size vs 3 in your scenario. That is a massive difference. In week 12, the record matters much more than in week 4.

At the end of the day, your record gets you into the playoffs. Then when you get in to the playoffs you have to prove it and win. If you dont win it doesnt matter how you won or how you lost. 

Just now, EaglesPeteC said:

This is a 10 game sample size vs 3 in your scenario. That is a massive difference. In week 12, the record matters much more than in week 4.

Right.

But after 10 games and all sorts of different matchups we've seen and all the different variables that come into play (injuries taking guys off the field, guys coming back from injuries at the right time, hot streaks ending or heating up, etc) the Top 5 teams are still only 1 game apart. It actually gives us more room to debate which one could be the best in the NFL, not less.

The fact is, we don't know which team is the best. It's only speculation until they meet up on the field, and even then sometimes people will argue that "the lesser team won."

The whole point of the season, playoffs and ultimately Superbowl is to decide which team was the best team that year. Your regular season (aka the 2nd preseason) record is nothing more than a ranking to determine where you'll be (meaning either at home, or on the field and where you'll be as a team with injuries, hot/cold streaks and whatever else is going on behind the scenes) when the REAL season (playoffs) start.

Which brings me to my next point. 

10 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

At the end of the day, your record gets you into the playoffs. Then when you get in to the playoffs you have to prove it and win. If you dont win it doesnt matter how you won or how you lost. 

"Then when you get into the playoffs you have to prove it..."

What is there to prove? You said the team with the best record is the best team. Why do we have the playoffs if we already know who's best at the end of the year? 

45 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Your arguments are so backwards i dont even know where to start. So i won't because i really dont care that much.

If you cant wrap your head around the concept that winning games is the most important thing then i cant help you. 

Pot meet kettle, you've parroted some of the worst arguments and ignorance in this thread. 

1 hour ago, EaglesPeteC said:

If you cant wrap your head around the concept that winning games is the most important thing then i cant help you. 

That's not even what's being discussed. Not remotely.

Have your five year old explain it to you. 

1 hour ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Your arguments are so backwards i dont even know where to start. So i won't because i really dont care that much.

How are his arguments backwards, he makes valid points.

This type of thing happens in college football every year as well with their rankings. Typically a powerhouse SEC team will have 1 loss, but still be the best team in college football...Even when another team may be undefeated. Heck even right now, I'm sure most people wouldn't consider the undefeated Wisconsin Badgers to be better than the 1 loss teams ahead of them in the Rankings (Oklahoma/Clemson). Record is a weak argument when a team is literally 1 game from each other down the final stretch of the season. It's not like we are talking about an undefeated Eagles team either. They have lost and shown they aren't some unbeatable juggernaut, and had close calls with the Chargers, and Giants this year. Basically as mentioned before, there is no clear cut number 1 team, but rather a handful that all have legit arguments right now.  

24 minutes ago, RuralBill said:

Could we please get mods who don't attack posters?

Probably a good idea TBH. 

But honestly if you're going to come out and say your argument is so simple your 5-year old gets it, just expect that to get thrown in your face when you totally miss the point of the debate.

2 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

PHI@NE 31-34 (OT) 0-1

PHI-CLE 40-3 (1-1)

PHI@PIT 21-24 (OT) 1-2

PHI-NYG 44-3 (2-2)

PHI-WAS 44-3 (3-2)

PHI-KC 31-14 (4-2)

PHI@NY 33-10 (5-2)

PHI@DAL 28-21 (6-2)

PHI@WAS 28-10 (7-2)

PHI-SD 21-17 (8-2)

compared to:

DET-MIN 55-0 (0-1)

DET-CHI 7-6 (1-1)

DET-GB 6-3 (2-1) (No Rodgers) 

DET@CLE 17-14 (OT) (3-1)

DET@NYG 13-10 (OT) (4-1)

DET-SF 14-10 (5-1)

DET@HOU 10-7 (6-1) (No Watson)

DET-MIA 10-6 (7-1)

DET@IND 17-10 (8-1)

DET-BUCS 14-10 (9-1)

There we go.  10 game sample size.  Which team is better?

They might just be the "best team in football," and they might not be.

One thing that chaps my backside is that many talking heads in the media are so quick to announce that the Saints are the "hottest" team in the NFL because of their amazing 8-game win streak. With all bias and homer narratives set aside, what makes their win streak any more impressive than the Eagles current 8-game win streak? 

Edit: Eagles opponents records (30-50), Saints opponents records (38-42)

9 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

There is no best team in the NFL right now. Arguments can be made for each of the following "including" the Saints. So yes they are Among the best but No to holding it alone!!

Eagles, Patriots, Saints, Steelers,Vikings.

All 5 can in their own ways make claims to that Title. Now in the coming Month worth of games, those 5 will dwindle down to two IMO! Which two, remains to be seen?

Stop being an objective Eagles fan...

That said, one of those teams is clearly not like the others. The Steelers cannot be argued in any facet as the "best" team.

14 minutes ago, 808 said:

One thing that chaps my backside is that many talking heads in the media are so quick to announce that the Saints are the "hottest" team in the NFL because of their amazing 8-game win streak. With all bias and homer narratives set aside, what makes their win streak any more impressive than the Eagles current 8-game win streak? 

I think the Eagles is more impressive given their younger QB and less experience head coach. FWIW 

14 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

How is thread at page 30? I doubt there is anyone outside a few Saints fans who would call the Saints the best team in football, not now or when this thread was posted the other week. What would be their argument over the Eagles? After this week, I don't see how they evven have an argument over the Vikings or Pats.

I don't even think the majority of us Saints fans believe they're the best lol. I roll my eyes every time I see a new post in this thread. 

Good news is, we'll all get the chance to find out here soon enough. That's what the playoffs are for B|

23 minutes ago, 808 said:

Absolutely nothing. Win streak is a win streak. I think the only reason the Saints win streak may be getting more attention is because they started off 0-2 and then started winning. 

Archived