Are the Saints the Best Team in Football?

goldfishwars

Are the Saints the Best Team in football?   

125 members have voted

1. 1. Are the Saints the Best Team in football?

9 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

I disagree. Too many moving pieces over the course of a season to make it so simple.

They’re both  different teams right now than they were in Week 1. I don’t know what you can take away from their Week 1 matchup.

i dont even think its debatable tbh. Saints D is still very suspect, that streak where they played well came against bad offenses. They just got torched by Cousins and Washington yesterday, itll be interesting to see if teh offense can play the same way when they are up against stiffer competition.

39 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

i dont even think its debatable tbh. Saints D is still very suspect, that streak where they played well came against bad offenses. They just got torched by Cousins and Washington yesterday, itll be interesting to see if teh offense can play the same way when they are up against stiffer competition.

Yeah it is always awesome to blatantly disregard that they were missing half their secondary (Both of our pro bowl caliber players in the secondary), top LB, and had a DE go down yesterday as well. Thankfully all these injuries appear to be minor, but to cherry pick games when the Saints defense is nowhere near full strength is pretty weak. Hopefully most if not all are back next week as it should be a much better indicator than this week of where they are at against a better opponent. 

Here's a post I made in another thread regarding how we had done when at full strength in our previous 7 wins:

Regarding Cam, sure he can be inconsistent, but we made him look downright terrible. It may have been one of the worst outings I've seen by him. There is something to be said about that and how our defense played him. If I'm not mistaken didn't they put in their backup Derek Anderson for a couple series. That game Cam had 3 interceptions, 2 fumbles, and a 43.8 QB Rating (His lowest QB rating of the season, and 2nd lowest in his career). In other words, our Defense deserves credit here for a dominant game. I'd also mention that we put up 34 points up against the Panthers defense, which is the most they've allowed all season.

Regarding Stafford, he has a QB rating for the season of 96.3. Against us he had a QB rating of 62.3, which is by far his lowest of the season. His next lowest QB rating was 80.2. To really put this in perspective he's had a QB rating of 90 (or above) in 6 out of 9 games, he's had a QB rating of 80 (or above) in 8 out of 9 games. Essentially we are the only team to give him a truly bad game this season. Again, our Defense deserves credit where credit is due here.

Also I'd even add Tyrod Taylor to this list of QB's we've completely dominated. He had a QB rating of 33.6 against us (By far his lowest of the season). Tyrod's next lowest QB rating this year was 63.6. However he's had a QB rating of 80 (or above) in 7 out of 9 games this season. So he essentially had 1 bad game, and 1 game where he got destroyed, which was yet again by us.

Jameis Winston had a 68.4 QB rating against us. His second worst QB rating of the year (Panthers were the only team to shut him down worse than us).

Jay Cutler had a 70.1 QB rating against us one of his worst performances of the year (Also a shutout for the Defense)

Brett Hundley had a 39 QB rating against us. Tied for worst on the season for him.

Mitchell Trubisky had a 46.9 QB rating against us. By far his worst QB rating on the year.

What this tells me is during our 7 game win streak is we have literally destroyed every opposing QB we have faced

To say we are "suspect" is a joke. Sure we played some bad offenses along the way, so does every team throughout the season. However when healthy and playing our best players we gave 7 QB's in a row some of their worst if not worst games of the season including a good QB like Matt Stafford.

56 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

They just got torched by Cousins and Washington yesterday,

And then made some HUGE stops to close out the game anyways. The offense scored those two TDs to take it to OT but the defense was making plays to even give the offense that chance.

And that was Without Lattimore, without Vaccaro, without Klein, without Okafor. Every team deals with injuries, but let’s not act like losing two Probowl caliber DBs and your signalcaller and QB of the defense is no big deal.

10 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I thought this was Sean Payton's swan song season though? 

(I'm being serious)

If he hadn’t totally changed everything about the way his team runs, it would’ve been. I don’t know if there was a single fan (on this forum) that wanted to see Payton stay for this season. Obviously now we’re singing a different tune.

1 hour ago, GSUeagles14 said:

I mean we only gave up 1 more point than the Vikings did against the Redskins, and that's with us missing half our secondary...

13 minutes ago, disaacs said:

But, you had your game at home. 

Without arguably the best corner in the league (Top 5 even for the biggest doubters), without Vaccaro our secondary captain and vocal leader of our defense and Klein our signalcaller and best linebacker. 

Okafor has been having a fantastic year as well and went down early.

Id take them on in Fed Ex with a healthy lineup over a game in the dome with half our defensive differencmakers out

15 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

So if you had to pick between losing Rhodes/Harrison Smith/Kendricks/Hunter for a game, or home field advantage...Which would you pick?

That wasn't the question though.  However, there's no question that losing them would put a significant dent in our ability to withstand an offensive onslaught.  But, just 2 years ago we did lose Kendricks, Barr and Smith all for a game against the Cardinals, who were 10-2 at the time, and managed to only give up 23 pts (which was also on the road)...and the Cardinals at the time were a better offense than Washington is right now. 

Certainly, the loss of the defensive players was a significant blow, but the HFA still plays a factor as well.  It should play to your advantage playing at home.   

1 minute ago, disaacs said:

That wasn't the question though.  However, there's no question that losing them would put a significant dent in our ability to withstand an offensive onslaught.  But, just 2 years ago we did lose Kendricks, Barr and Smith all for a game against the Cardinals, who were 10-2 at the time, and managed to only give up 23 pts (which was also on the road)...and the Cardinals at the time were a better offense than Washington is right now.  

That is exactly the problem. It would effect any teams ability to play at the level they typically would play at. The Vikings averaged 18 points against in 2015, so by your example it clearly was a below average game for them while missing key players. This should be obvious though as I think any football fan knows how much losing that many top players on a unit can effect the outcome of a game.

2 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

That is exactly the problem. It would effect any teams ability to play at the level they typically would play at. The Vikings averaged 18 points against in 2015, so by your example it clearly was a below average game for them while missing key players. This should be obvious though as I think any football fan knows how much losing that many top players on a unit can effect the outcome of a game.

Not to mention the Redskins are actually worse at home than on the road.

Agreed, which is often why health matters probably more than anything as to who the best teams in football are.  Say what people will about the 2016 Vikings, the health of the offensive line signaled our demise more than anything.  When they kept having to shuffle players on the o-line, no consistency was ever able to be developed, and the team went from 5-0 to 8-8.  We're remarkably healthy this year, despite having lost both the starting QB and the starting RB, but our depth that has been developed has really paid off.  

As for the best team in the NFL right now, the Saints aren't it...but neither are the Vikings...but, we're both in the conversation.  I'm not sure about the Saints at this point, but I know the Vikings would match up pretty well with the Eagles...which is why the Eagles don't really scare me at this point.  That has solidified my point now that the Vikings pretty much dominated the Rams, as I felt the Rams would provide a much better test.  I do hope we're destined for a match with the Eagles at some point, because I think it would be a good game.    

So many good teams have emerged from the NFC; this has been a lot of fun to watch this year. The Saints are definitely the hottest team in football right now, and with that defense and running game I expect them to stay there. I do think they will win the NFC South, but the Panthers will make it interesting. 

Archived