Bears 53

dll2000

As a proud Hawkeye fan, let me say I LOVE adding ISM to the roster, he is instant offense.  Was really surprised when Minny cut him.  Dude has wheels and is another return threat who you just want to get the ball in his hands on offense.

Osemele working out is interesting.  Doubt he gets signed but you never know.  Had all the tools and looked like a monster in BAL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

As a proud Hawkeye fan, let me say I LOVE adding ISM to the roster, he is instant offense.  Was really surprised when Minny cut him.  Dude has wheels and is another return threat who you just want to get the ball in his hands on offense.

Osemele working out is interesting.  Doubt he gets signed but you never know.  Had all the tools and looked like a monster in BAL.

I think calling him “instant offense” is pretty heavy handed. I like his skill set and potential but he barely cracked the lineup last year despite Thielen batting injuries basically all season. Pretty much all of his production came in a week 18 game against our Bears that meant nothing to the fortunes of either team. 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think calling him “instant offense” is pretty heavy handed. I like his skill set and potential but he barely cracked the lineup last year despite Thielen batting injuries basically all season. Pretty much all of his production came in a week 18 game against our Bears that meant nothing to the fortunes of either team. 

Leave me alone AZ, let me have this.

• Like 4

So Poles basically confirmed my suspicion that the Tevin Jenkins trade rumors were basically made up.  Other teams called the Bears, the Bears were not trying to trade Tevin, and are not trying to trade Tevin.  Part of me wonders if some of this was coming from Tevin's agent bc Tevin wants to be an OT.

3 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

So Poles basically confirmed my suspicion that the Tevin Jenkins trade rumors were basically made up.  Other teams called the Bears, the Bears were not trying to trade Tevin, and are not trying to trade Tevin.  Part of me wonders if some of this was coming from Tevin's agent bc Tevin wants to be an OT.

No, because Tevin was personally hurt and upset by it.  He wouldn’t be if his agent was doing it.  

3 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

And he definitely wouldn’t be putting it out there that he is immature and what not.  

14 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

And he definitely wouldn’t be putting it out there that he is immature and what not.  

Well the immature thing came from David Kaplan, then a couple days later the trade rumors started.  And again the report that came out initially was the Bears were "receiving calls".  That then became the Bears were actively shopping him.  The interview at his locker was really weird, which you may be right that that was a result of the continued persistence of the rumor even after it was clear that he had won the starting RG spot.  But the way he kept talking about still being an OT, I definitely could see a scenario.where Tevin is playing RG bc it gets him on the field but him or his agent still want him at OT bc of the pay difference and the agent throwing out smoke to see if anybody will bite.

6 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Well the immature thing came from David Kaplan, then a couple days later the trade rumors started.  And again the report that came out initially was the Bears were "receiving calls".  That then became the Bears were actively shopping him.  The interview at his locker was really weird, which you may be right that that was a result of the continued persistence of the rumor even after it was clear that he had won the starting RG spot.  But the way he kept talking about still being an OT, I definitely could see a scenario.where Tevin is playing RG bc it gets him on the field but him or his agent still want him at OT bc of the pay difference and the agent throwing out smoke to see if anybody will bite.

Yes Ts make more money.  

But to me it is much better to be a stud starting G than a guy not even currently starting at T.  

A lot more job security in that.  Goal is to get a second contract.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I’m reasonably sure he would rather be a tackle, but if it was 3rd string tackle or potential starting guard that’s a pretty easy call. Once Jenkins wasn’t buried on the depth chart at tackle the ongoing trade rumors were all pretty clearly clickbait and/or disinformation. Hard to see any team trading a 2nd round IOL who’s lining up as a starter with 3 remaining years of rookie contract control without a really significant return, but especially not a rebuilding team with arguably one of the worst OL situations in the league. 

Personally I’m not a fan of Kaplan’s work either. He just rubs me the wrong way. And he doesn’t break any genuine Bears news of note so much as talk about news broken by other people and give opinion pieces. I look at him like a market specific Cowherd. A lowest common denominator panderer. Meh. I get nothing from that. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m reasonably sure he would rather be a tackle, but if it was 3rd string tackle or potential starting guard that’s a pretty easy call. Once Jenkins wasn’t buried on the depth chart at tackle the ongoing trade rumors were all pretty clearly clickbait and/or disinformation. Hard to see any team trading a 2nd round IOL who’s lining up as a starter with 3 remaining years of rookie contract control without a really significant return, but especially not a rebuilding team with arguably one of the worst OL situations in the league. 

Personally I’m not a fan of Kaplan’s work either. He just rubs me the wrong way. And he doesn’t break any genuine Bears news of note so much as talk about news broken by other people and give opinion pieces. I look at him like a market specific Cowherd. A lowest common denominator panderer. Meh. I get nothing from that. 

The trade thing seemed pretty obvious clickbait, except you had local beat guys and radio guys basically caping for the reports saying they had to come from somewhere.  It didn't make sense to me once he became the starting RG.  But when you have Schefter and Rappaport keeping it alive, it makes you think it is probably coming from somewhere and the agent certainly makes the most sense.  But the rumor has been put to bed, hopefully for good.

37 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

The trade thing seemed pretty obvious clickbait, except you had local beat guys and radio guys basically caping for the reports saying they had to come from somewhere.  It didn't make sense to me once he became the starting RG.  But when you have Schefter and Rappaport keeping it alive, it makes you think it is probably coming from somewhere and the agent certainly makes the most sense.  But the rumor has been put to bed, hopefully for good.

I think that so far, Poles and Flus have been so tight lipped about nearly everything, there may not be many sources for any of these guys (local or national) inside the organization at this point. So literally anything people say is going to be treated like treasure, and glommed on, and blown out of proportion.

We all have certainly have done so in these threads, but were mostly just fan reaction, not perpetuating these things to the masses. Its just so much easier to call yourself a "takesmith" in todays media than to actually do your job and get a source to confirm the story you want to shout about

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

I think that so far, Poles and Flus have been so tight lipped about nearly everything, there may not be many sources for any of these guys (local or national) inside the organization at this point.

As it should be, tbh.

For Poles to be able to do that while also making himself available to the media pretty frequently is impressive to me. Poles is young and new at being a GM, and his ability to scout and acquire talent and build a roster (obviously the most important parts of his job) will be TBD for a few years until there’s some track record established, but he seems to grasp the PR campaign parts of the job really well where his predecessor… did not. He thanks agents when FA deals get done. When stuff goes sideways or unexpectedly like Ogunjobi or the Smith negotiations or the Jenkins trade rumors he addresses them like an adult rather than hiding behind his office door. He doesn’t present himself like someone who’s in way over his head. That’s been really refreshing to me. IF (big if) he also proves to be adept at building a winning roster over the long haul we might really have something in him. And if not? We’ll have a new GM by 2027 or so 😂