Bears 53

dll2000

18 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

You need that monster heavy guy to clog run and eat blocks.   Too many teams think they don't need one, just pass rushers, until they don't have one.

I thought Tonga could help fill that role for Bears, but they cut him.   Vikings just played him in limited snaps and he played well I thought.

Tonga getting cut absolutely baffled me. I mean yeah he is one dimensional, totally agree. But I'd rather have someone be one dimensional and good at it then being 'meh' at every facet. I wasn't counting on the next Vince Wilfork or Casey Hampton but Anthony Adams or Mitch Unrein would be completely feasible early on. A guy who could get the occasional passrush but 95% of the time was eating up blockers and clogging lanes.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Tonga getting cut absolutely baffled me. I mean yeah he is one dimensional, totally agree. But I'd rather have someone be one dimensional and good at it then being 'meh' at every facet. I wasn't counting on the next Vince Wilfork or Casey Hampton but Anthony Adams or Mitch Unrein would be completely feasible early on. A guy who could get the occasional passrush but 95% of the time was eating up blockers and clogging lanes.

He more than good enough to play for Bears as a rotational guy and someone with upside.  It was a baffling cut to me too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

You need that monster heavy guy to clog run and eat blocks.   Too many teams think they don't need one, just pass rushers, until they don't have one.

I thought Tonga could help fill that role for Bears, but they cut him.   Vikings just played him in limited snaps and he played well I thought.

I'm not even sure you need monster but what you need are guys who enjoy the physicality of stopping the run...Watt is a big dude but he gets pushed around far too easily...stuffing the run is as much about mind set as anything else...it's why if Poles is going to be true to his word and be selective in FA and build through the draft more than anything else I like A'Shawn Robinson...the Rams were terrible against the run until he showed up...he slimmed down to around 308lbs but he enjoys that physical part of the game...34 1/2" arms which helps as well...right now in my rolling mock I have us going after both him and Zach Allen rather than paying Daron Payne because I think the money you would split between them can be handled much easier when you draft your own guy which should always be the goal...

When it comes to Tonga I have never been sold it is as simple as his play...Flus is a big culture and work ethic guy and I wonder if Tonga just couldn't match up to that expectation.

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I'm not even sure you need monster but what you need are guys who enjoy the physicality of stopping the run...Watt is a big dude but he gets pushed around far too easily...stuffing the run is as much about mind set as anything else...it's why if Poles is going to be true to his word and be selective in FA and build through the draft more than anything else I like A'Shawn Robinson...the Rams were terrible against the run until he showed up...he slimmed down to around 308lbs but he enjoys that physical part of the game...34 1/2" arms which helps as well...right now in my rolling mock I have us going after both him and Zach Allen rather than paying Daron Payne because I think the money you would split between them can be handled much easier when you draft your own guy which should always be the goal...

When it comes to Tonga I have never been sold it is as simple as his play...Flus is a big culture and work ethic guy and I wonder if Tonga just couldn't match up to that expectation.

My living mock has us signing Payne and still drafting a DT in the top half of the draft. Payne is a difference maker. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

My living mock has us signing Payne and still drafting a DT in the top half of the draft. Payne is a difference maker. 

I would love to have Payne…he is great but we don’t really know what approach Poles will take in FA…does “selective” mean he will only target nailed on top quality players? Or does it mean only scheme specific players? Or does he mean only guys who fills gaps until he can draft his own guys? Going to be a super interesting offseason.

15 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I would love to have Payne…he is great but we don’t really know what approach Poles will take in FA…does “selective” mean he will only target nailed on top quality players? Or does it mean only scheme specific players? Or does he mean only guys who fills gaps until he can draft his own guys? Going to be a super interesting offseason.

We’ll find out soon enough. For him to clear cap like crazy this whole season to then not spend it on difference making players when they’re actually available… would not be well received.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

We’ll find out soon enough. For him to clear cap like crazy this whole season to then not spend it on difference making players when they’re actually available… would not be well received.

I guess the counter to that would be the Chargers roster…tons of top top players but not much behind them…some injuries and they have fallen away badly…even the Packers all these years with Rodgers just never building behind their stars…does Poles build us with superstars then some cheap depth…or does he build us like say the Titans or Bills with tons of depth and just a few star players? Again we have all this to learn…

One thing I will say though is I have a ton of faith in him…I love the fact he & the staff already know who they are schematically on both side of the ball and in terms of what sort of personalities they want to build this culture…Pace & Nagy never got to this point and now Poles & Flus have that & a ton of resources to make it happen.

24 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I guess the counter to that would be the Chargers roster…tons of top top players but not much behind them…some injuries and they have fallen away badly…even the Packers all these years with Rodgers just never building behind their stars…does Poles build us with superstars then some cheap depth…or does he build us like say the Titans or Bills with tons of depth and just a few star players? Again we have all this to learn…

One thing I will say though is I have a ton of faith in him…I love the fact he & the staff already know who they are schematically on both side of the ball and in terms of what sort of personalities they want to build this culture…Pace & Nagy never got to this point and now Poles & Flus have that & a ton of resources to make it happen.

Whether he does big or mid tier in free agency he needs to land a better class this year.

His free agent group from last year has done nothing and it is really hurting the floor of this team. 

Guys like Muhammad are just a waste of a roster spot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I didn’t say we wouldn’t continue to look to build through the draft if we make a few sizable FA moves. Poles said he was going to be selective in FA and build principally through the draft. Does signing Payne and a top of market OT and then 2nd tier shorter term starters before the draft not sound like exactly that? I think it does. He needs to add some knowns. Even at a 50% rate of big hits in the draft (a really high rate) it would take years to get where we need to be from where we are. 

10 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I didn’t say we wouldn’t continue to look to build through the draft if we make a few sizable FA moves. Poles said he was going to be selective in FA and build principally through the draft. Does signing Payne and a top of market OT and then 2nd tier shorter term starters before the draft not sound like exactly that? I think it does. He needs to add some knowns. Even at a 50% rate of big hits in the draft (a really high rate) it would take years to get where we need to be from where we are. 

I agree you AZ, in FA, buy the difference makers / leaders if you can.  Would love to sign Payne and E Jenkins from the packers to start out. Takes care of 2 need positions. No real DEs jump off the page in FA at this time so you have to go high in the draft. Also I would hunt for a CB to replace Vildor as a starter. He has played ok and is a good depth guy but is the low rung on the defensive back chain.                                                                                    

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

It could do…and part of me really hope it does…but we just don’t know and that is the fascinating thing…in my ideal world he does sign a top tier OL & DL to long term deals…a 2nd tier OL & DL to shorter term deals…then looks at that 3rd tier solid starter level at value positions for competition and depth…I think we need another 10-13 free agents this year considering the whole front 7 needs rebuilt on defence.

18 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Whether he does big or mid tier in free agency he needs to land a better class this year.

His free agent group from last year has done nothing and it is really hurting the floor of this team. 

Guys like Muhammad are just a waste of a roster spot.

Kind of like a whole team of Charles Leno quality players.  When you have 2 or 3 of them you could convince yourself you can live with them for now but with a whole team of them you suck.