Training camp news and discussion

JAF-N72EX

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

It will be interesting if Jenkins or Borom start taking any snaps at RG this week. 

If that doesn’t happen I guess the loser of Jones, Borom and Jenkins battle goes to swing tackle. 

I think the OL is the one group that is going to have the most battles going on through out camp, hopefully the coaches can get guys to settle in a spot and at least be average.

• Like 1

Capable veteran help signed on the eve of camp. I was told it couldn’t be done!

Tongue in cheek aside, it’s a smart move. Bolsters the interior immediately - I expect that he’s starting week 1 unless one of the kids takes the job from him (which would be a good thing). Also probably means Jenkins isn’t playing guard.

But Mustipher tho… someone check on Olin Kreutz. And Windy.  

Schofield has a lot of starting experience, but nobody wants him for long.  

He was drafted in 2014 by Denver and started in 2015 and 16, but was waived in 2017. 

In 2017 Chargers picked him up off waivers and he started 5 games.  But in 2018 and 2019 he started every game.  

But after 2019 they decided to waive him.

Carolina picked him in 2020 which was the weird covid year and he only started 3 games mainly because he got covid.

Then Ravens picked him up in 2021, but he got cut in camp it looks like. 

Then Chargers picked him up again - which was good sign they wanted him back - and he went on to start 12 games.

But then they waived him again for this season. 

And here we are with Bears signing him. 

So I am thinking this guy is not that great as a starter as nobody wants to keep him around, but is a good back up in a pinch.

I wouldn't get too excited.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

I think the OL is the one group that is going to have the most battles going on through out camp, hopefully the coaches can get guys to settle in a spot and at least be average.

The season will go as the Oline goes I think.  Really hard to make an offense work with a bad O line.

On other hand if Bears somehow did cobble together a decent starting O line with 2-3 spots filled by first and second year players many of whom are mid to low round draft picks that will be an impressive feat.

I mean we lost Peters, Daniels and Ifedi who were the primary starters at LT, RG and RT when healthy and we seem to feel like we may be better this season.  

We are replacing them with at last look:    Jones, Mustipher and Borom.  That doesn't look better on paper and our Oline was pretty awful last year.    

Now it isn't that simple because of a new coach and new scheme.   And while Peters was pretty good for long stretches, he also had major lapses while he played himself into shape coming off a boat in August and battled his age.  

Add in that Daniels missed a lot of blocks and assignments and Ifedi probably had his worst year as a Bear.  And Borom was playing better than Ifedi was playing earlier by end of season.  

I am pretty good with Borom at RT if it shakes out that way.

That leaves my primary concerns with LT and RG.   I think Whitehair and Patrick will be okay.  Whitehair is a bit concerning because he seems to be regressing of late, but he is a talented football player who should be in his prime.   Lets pencil him in for a bounce back year.   Patrick should at least be an upgrade on Mustipher.  

I don't think coaches believe Jenkins or Borom can play LT and I am not sure if Jenkins is better than Borom at RT.   I think we have to hope Braxton Jones is a revelation at LT and Jenkins slides into RG because Mustipher as starting our starting RG is a disaster in waiting.   Mustipher should be our back up center.  He is good enough for that role.  

That leaves us basically zero quality depth at the tackle and guard positions - which I guess due to scarcity many teams have that same problem.  We would have to stay remarkably healthy.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

He was drafted in 2014 by Denver and started in 2015 and 16, but was waived in 2017. 

In 2017 Chargers picked him up off waivers and he started 5 games.  But in 2018 and 2019 he started every game.  

Carolina picked him in 2020 which was the weird covid year and he only started 3 games mainly because he got covid.

Then Chargers picked him up again - which was good sign they wanted him back - and he went on to start 12 games.

So I am thinking this guy is not that great as a starter as nobody wants to keep him around, but is a good back up in a pinch.

My “excitement” stems from a veteran RG option that isn’t Mustipher. He’s clearly a journeyman stop gap, but one that clearly raises the floor for our OL a bit too IMO.

• Like 1

This is starting to remind me of the Pace/Arob contract issues all over again. Pace shouldn't have even had to think about it and neither should Poles. Arob still showed up to work though.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Poles let Roquan walk. Stupid, sure, but it wouldn't surprise me. He seems dead set on wanting to replace everyone from the Pace era.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I can't remember a single game where I or anyone else ever said "I'm going to watch Michael Schofield and see how he plays".

Tough call for a newbie.  I know what Poles is thinking:

I don’t want to pay an ILB big money.  

I wouldn’t either TBH.  I have always said DL makes LBs and OL makes RBs more than other way around.   I think Poles believes that too.  

Roquan is a fan favorite though.  Fans want some good news in this offseason of mostly disappointment.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Roquan is holding out:

Oh look, Roquan is holding out again.

First time was because he didn't like certain language, he finally got his way and now he's refusing to honor the 5th year of the deal he agreed to?

Absolute garbage IMO. This is how you want to start off with a new regime? GTFO.