Training camp news and discussion

JAF-N72EX

Anyone else wondering if Mario Edwards has a place on this team?...cap wise it would only save us around $400,000 with over $3 million going to dead money but I don't see a fit for him...he is still listed as a DE but isn't the speed rusher we need for this scheme but also isn't a great interior guy in a 4-3 D...

I also think is indiscipline would drive Flus and co crazy. 

4 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Anyone else wondering if Mario Edwards has a place on this team?...cap wise it would only save us around $400,000 with over $3 million going to dead money but I don't see a fit for him...he is still listed as a DE but isn't the speed rusher we need for this scheme but also isn't a great interior guy in a 4-3 D...

I also think is indiscipline would drive Flus and co crazy. 

has he even been practicing? i feel like i haven't heard his name pop up all camp

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

has he even been practicing? i feel like i haven't heard his name pop up all camp

They had him listed at DE on the first “depth chart” but he hasn’t played in the PS yet. He also hasn’t been listed as injured that I recall. He’s not really a fit scheme wise. Maybe they’re waiting for a bit of attrition to strike to look to move him to a 3-4 team for a late pick if they can. 

47 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

They had him listed at DE on the first “depth chart” but he hasn’t played in the PS yet. He also hasn’t been listed as injured that I recall. He’s not really a fit scheme wise. Maybe they’re waiting for a bit of attrition to strike to look to move him to a 3-4 team for a late pick if they can. 

Edwards was held out after being banged up and missing some practices this week. Bears have him listed as their backup LDE and he can also kick inside on passing downs.

Interesting that during the Seahawks game the commentators were so open about Poles saying the roster would look different in a few weeks and specifically when it comes to a bigger bodied WR...looking at the bottom of some rosters these are guys I think could help us as depth who have a change of being released...

Laviska Shenault...6-1" 228lbs...Jags

Kristian Wilkerson...6-1" 215lbs...Pats

Cornell Powell...6-1" 210lbs...Chiefs

Justin Watson...6-3" 215lbs...Chiefs

Shemar Bridges...6-4" 210lbs...Ravens

Jacob Harris...6-5" 210lbs...Rams (most unlikely)

13 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Interesting that during the Seahawks game the commentators were so open about Poles saying the roster would look different in a few weeks and specifically when it comes to a bigger bodied WR...looking at the bottom of some rosters these are guys I think could help us as depth who have a change of being released...

Laviska Shenault...6-1" 228lbs...Jags

Kristian Wilkerson...6-1" 215lbs...Pats

Cornell Powell...6-1" 210lbs...Chiefs

Justin Watson...6-3" 215lbs...Chiefs

Shemar Bridges...6-4" 210lbs...Ravens

Jacob Harris...6-5" 210lbs...Rams (most unlikely)

Shenault is a guy of whom I’ve always been a big fan, but I can’t imagine he’s on the bubble even if he’s reduced to WR4 duty in Jacksonville after they added Kirk and Zay Jones in FA. He’s been productive in both of his NFL seasons (58 and 63 catches) and is inexpensive.

Powell is a guy I mentioned last week as a guy I wanted to see us target in the 2021 draft. I can’t see him having any role in KC this year after their offseason additions, and Poles was there when he was drafted, so if he’s cut he may welcome a spot on a PS elsewhere. 

6 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Everyone wants starters to play in preseason.  

It is a two edged sword.  

For me it is all about where you are in the process...as much as KC & Buffalo are playing their starters I wouldn't be considering they have been playing the same systems for years and are real contenders...if your the likes of us then those additional reps are worth the risk to get guys comfortable in the scheme as well as to property evaluate who can help you when it gets real.

So it looks like starting Oline is Jones, Whitehair, Mustipher (until Patrick is healthy), Jenkins and Borom. 

Everyone talks about getting best 5 out there, but Bears actually did it.  (Not everyone can snap).  

Dieter may even creep up late and take Mustipher’s spot if he snaps better.  Dieter is way more physical than Mustipher, but is still more raw due to inexperience.