Training camp news and discussion

JAF-N72EX

On 7/26/2022 at 10:57 AM, Madmike90 said:

Personally I have no issues with holdouts until we see the contact terms offered/signed…when you consider how much each NFL franchise generates in profit year after year compared to what the salary cap is it is clear to understand why the players…and ultimately the guys making the franchises and their owners this money…feel they should be paid accordingly…now if it comes out Roquan wants paid $25 million a season then yeah I am against him holding out and think he needs to get way more realistic…that said if Poles is trying to offer him $15 million a season then he is well within his rights to hold out…careers are real short and can be over with one hit…these guys should be allowed to set themselves up for life if their skills warrant it and I don’t think anyone could disagree that Roquan’s do.

Here's the thing though... he's under contract!

Holding out to sign a 4 year deal with a 5th year option, only to hold out during that 5th year rubs me the wrong way. If he didn't hold out initially, I'd still be annoyed but not nearly as much.

Edited by G08

33 minutes ago, G08 said:

Holding out to sign a 4 year deal with a 5th year option, only to hold out during that 5th year rubs me the wrong way. If he didn't hold out initially, I'd still be annoyed but not nearly as much.

A few things here.

1) He signed a 4 year deal and he honored it.

2) The 5th year option is strictly a club decision and players literally have no say in it whatsoever. Just like the franchise tag.

3) You could make an argument that he is getting screwed financially right now. The 5th year option pay is based on performance, pro bowl appearances, All pro's, raw stats, and snap % and how many times in these last few years has he been snubbed from the PB? Him being snubbed twice literally cost him millions of dollars. this is why his pay is only 9.7M and not the franchise tag money for his position.

• Like 1

He has every right to be pissed. Ontop of that, he is only looking  for a little gratitude for the work he's put in and he now he wants long term financial security and there's nothing wrong with that. One hit and this could cost him millions more next year ---see Arob.

Edited by JAF-N72EX
  • Like 2

All offseason people have been talking about how Poles is evaluating the roster and using this season to try to get a better look at the young talent on the team. Then he signs two 30 year old to take away snaps from the said young talent and suddenly everyone is excited about it. 😅

I'll say it again, this fan base is weird.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2022 at 1:06 PM, beardown3231 said:

$10M for 1 year of Rieff on July 26 seems expensive, no?

Depends on how the incentives are written into the contract and how much is considered LTBE and NLTBE. Info like that is often hard to come by with any accuracy.

To my understanding, it's only 3M right now for this year but it could end with an upwards of 6M counting next years cap too. If that's the case then yes it's an overpay.

That said, it's not much different than the Ifedi deal --albeit a little more. But, Poles has to overpay for guys to wanna come here so....

If he can come in and play up to the same level that Ifedi did for a cheap price then it's not a bad deal. Pricey, but not bad.

It's not a bad signing. He can be solid when he's at his best. Plus this entire OL is very young Him, Whitehair, and Patrick are the only real vets and having vets like them make a difference both on and off the field.

3 hours ago, G08 said:

He didn’t really have a choice with that 5th year option though as all 1st year rookies are being held to it…plus has massively out performed his contract…I don’t see him as doing anything that hundreds of other quality players have done in the past.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

All offseason people have been talking about how Poles is evaluating the roster and using this season to try to get a better look at the young talent on the team. Then he signs two 30 year old to take away snaps from the said young talent and suddenly everyone is excited about it. 😅

I'll say it again, this fan base is weird.

They (we) are happy because we don’t want Fields to get murdered while experimenting with playing mid to late round rookie OL.  

Because losing Fields and/or ruining his development with really poor line play is a really bad idea.  See 2021.

If they step up and win jobs then fine.  

7 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

He didn’t really have a choice with that 5th year option though as all 1st year rookies are being held to it…plus has massively out performed his contract…I don’t see him as doing anything that hundreds of other quality players have done in the past.

I would also guess he doesn’t have a problem when teams cut players who still have time left on their contracts. 

Look at Bengals.  They screwed up and lost their young QB in 2020 because they were stupid with their Oline.  

They improved it last year, but it still wasn’t good enough as he still took too much of a beating.  

So they made it better this year.  If you lose Burrow you are lost. 

KC had to do same thing when Mahomes started getting beat up in 2nd half of 2020. 

Rodgers, Brady and Peyton have all played really poorly when their line isn’t blocking.  I can point to big games where they looked really bad and scored very little due to that.  This at height of their powers.  They didn’t all of a sudden start to suck individually that day.   

10 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

This is so accurate. 😅  Which is why I don't give a damn about all of these quotes we get every year about how X player is "great" and so forth. Show me in September and then we can talk.

That is good news.  Is he on the Bears?

There is a risk to holding out.

The team could call you on it and you don't get paid.   Just like there is risk to team in signing someone.  You can sign someone and then they don't give best efforts.  

People shouldn't think of NFL contracts like contracts outside NFL.   They are within a monopoly set up and are governed by a CBA.

Roquan had no choice but to go play for Bears out of college.   He was literally drafted.  He had no choice but to have a 5th year option.   Conversely Bears had parameters set on what they had to pay him given where he was drafted.   

The same ethics on contracts as outside NFL do not apply.

If they ever decertify the Union and take away the anti-trust exemption then you can complain.  Because Roquan can sign with anyone and 32 teams have to compete for his services.   

But this situation works to maximize league revenue which is theoretically good for players as they share in percentage.   I think the league plays with numbers and I am not sure they wouldn't be better off without a union at all.   It is complicated.  

But if that were the case he should honor whatever deal he agreed to and so should the team who signed him.