Rams training camp 2022

NVRamsFan

1 hour ago, BStanRamFan said:

Kupp/Robinson/Jefferson/Tutu are 100% safe. 

Harris/Skowronek could be on the cusp. Harris/Jefferson could start the season on short term IR.

I think we could see McCutcheon take Skowronek's spot if he can improve his blocking and grasp of that playbook. My issue with Lance is that the offense with Perkins is nothing like the offense with Stafford so his success may not translate when playing with Stafford, but i loved what I saw. 

I would love for McCutcheon to jump Skowronek. Skowronek's ceiling is being a good special teamer and run blocking WR. I don't think he will ever even be average at the actual receiving role though. But based on how he is slotted in practice, I would be stunned if McCutcheon could jump him this year. 

I forget the rule on the ST IR, but I thought players have to initially make the 53 and then they go on the ST IR. So even if we did that with Harris and Jefferson, we would still subject McCutcheon to waivers.

Been thinking of how we get McCutcheon on the 53 and I think it is going to be tough. The way I am mapping it out, we are lighter than usual at OL and DL, and we cannot keep Perkins.

QB: 2 - think we cannot keep Perkins and go very heavy on WR. He's a fun player but we have Stafford on a long-term deal so I'm not sure why we need to hoard someone that seems like at best can develop into a high-end backup.

RB: 4 - Should be easy. If Akers/Hendo were more reliable with health I could see us going light with 3. But Funk makes the roster as the 4th and provides a lift to STs.

WR: 8

TE: 3 - pretty easy here

OL - 8 - this is going light but here is part of the sacrifice for the WRs. Depth guys are Bruss, AJ Jackson, and Evans/Anchrum. It also is easy to go light here because most of our depth guys imo have little upside for development.

DL - 5 - Starting 3 and then 2 of Copeland, Hoecht, Jonah Williams. I think this is another area we cut as we'd probably like to keep 6 here.

EDGE - 5 - Floyd, Hollins, Lewis, Garrett, Hardy. Don't see any surprises here.

ILB - 4 - In theory we could go 3 here but my guess is Rozeboom is safe since he isn't playing in preseason.

CB - 6 - Cannot see us going less than 6. Ramsey, Hill, Long, Rochell, Durant, and Kendrick. Good mix of vets and young promising rookies.

S - 5 - Could go 4 here but my guess is we are keeping Fuller, Scott, Rapp, Burgess, and Yeast. And then we are likely hoping Lake makes the practice squad. With how many 3 safeties looks we are going to play, keeping 4 doesn't seem like enough.

ST - 3

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

Been thinking of how we get McCutcheon on the 53 and I think it is going to be tough. The way I am mapping it out, we are lighter than usual at OL and DL, and we cannot keep Perkins.

QB: 2 - think we cannot keep Perkins and go very heavy on WR. He's a fun player but we have Stafford on a long-term deal so I'm not sure why we need to hoard someone that seems like at best can develop into a high-end backup.

RB: 4 - Should be easy. If Akers/Hendo were more reliable with health I could see us going light with 3. But Funk makes the roster as the 4th and provides a lift to STs.

WR: 8

TE: 3 - pretty easy here

OL - 8 - this is going light but here is part of the sacrifice for the WRs. Depth guys are Bruss, AJ Jackson, and Evans/Anchrum. It also is easy to go light here because most of our depth guys imo have little upside for development.

DL - 5 - Starting 3 and then 2 of Copeland, Hoecht, Jonah Williams. I think this is another area we cut as we'd probably like to keep 6 here.

EDGE - 5 - Floyd, Hollins, Lewis, Garrett, Hardy. Don't see any surprises here.

ILB - 4 - In theory we could go 3 here but my guess is Rozeboom is safe since he isn't playing in preseason.

CB - 6 - Cannot see us going less than 6. Ramsey, Hill, Long, Rochell, Durant, and Kendrick. Good mix of vets and young promising rookies.

S - 5 - Could go 4 here but my guess is we are keeping Fuller, Scott, Rapp, Burgess, and Yeast. And then we are likely hoping Lake makes the practice squad. With how many 3 safeties looks we are going to play, keeping 4 doesn't seem like enough.

ST - 3

I think Perkins is getting put on full display to dangle as a trade chip to recoup a pick or add value in a trade for an edge rusher. We keep him on the roster like last year until we can move him. Also, would love to see him play a Taysom Hill type role to keep the defense on it's toes. He's a valuable asset and the more he continues to light up the preseason, the more valuable he becomes.

I'd say cut safeties down to 4 (Yeast) and bump DL to 6. Can't have that little margin for error on the Dline.

Lance can still make the team and I believe he takes Skowronek's spot. Harris for all his upside has now had 2 injuries and was brought on as a project. Cant reserve a roster spot for that. Then we go down to 6 (Kupp, Robinson, VJ, Atwell, Powell, MCCutcheon)

This may be dumb, but why hasnt a team just taught a back up linemen to long snap? It's a skill that can be learned and we waste a roster spot on someone for it. Never made sense to me.

I think Perkins is getting put on full display to dangle as a trade chip to recoup a pick or add value in a trade for an edge rusher. We keep him on the roster like last year until we can move him. Also, would love to see him play a Taysom Hill type role to keep the defense on it's toes. He's a valuable asset and the more he continues to light up the preseason, the more valuable he becomes.

I'd say cut safeties down to 4 (Yeast) and bump DL to 6. Can't have that little margin for error on the Dline.

Lance can still make the team and I believe he takes Skowronek's spot. Harris for all his upside has now had 2 injuries and was brought on as a project. Cant reserve a roster spot for that. Then we go down to 6 (Kupp, Robinson, VJ, Atwell, Powell, MCCutcheon)

This may be dumb, but why hasnt a team just taught a back up linemen to long snap? It's a skill that can be learned and we waste a roster spot on someone for it. Never made sense to me.

I get the long snapper thing. For one, it is a very specialized skill and any screw up is taking points off the board or losing 40+ yards in field position on a punt. And then 2, you don't want to go to an emergency long snapper in the game if the depth lineup gets thrusted into the starting lineup mid-season. It would be cool if someone could do both but I think you'd always want a reliable snapper versus a below average one that can also backup the interior line.

The problem with a Taysom Hill like role is Perkins would not only have to make the 53 man roster, he'd then have to make the 46. Taysom Hill gets snaps at special teams and TE when he is active. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to activate Perkins for 3 snaps a game he might get. Especially when Akers can do the wildcat role if we really wanted it.

If I was doing cuts, McCutcheon is making it over Skowronek. But I'd be stunned if Skowronek actually gets cut. He isn't playing in the preseason and is practicing with the 1s in mid August. Harris I can closer see. 

Edited by LeotheLion

1 hour ago, LeotheLion said:

I get the long snapper thing. For one, it is a very specialized skill and any screw up is taking points off the board or losing 40+ yards in field position on a punt. And then 2, you don't want to go to an emergency long snapper in the game if the depth lineup gets thrusted into the starting lineup mid-season. It would be cool if someone could do both but I think you'd always want a reliable snapper versus a below average one that can also backup the interior line.

The problem with a Taysom Hill like role is Perkins would not only have to make the 53 man roster, he'd then have to make the 46. Taysom Hill gets snaps at special teams and TE when he is active. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to activate Perkins for 3 snaps a game he might get. Especially when Akers can do the wildcat role if we really wanted it.

If I was doing cuts, McCutcheon is making it over Skowronek. But I'd be stunned if Skowronek actually gets cut. He isn't playing in the preseason and is practicing with the 1s in mid August. Harris I can closer see. 

For Perkins, I really think he should be put on the roster and left around until the trade deadline. Someone will get hurt and come after him. As McVay's coaching tree grows larger, it opens more possibilities should something happen. I wouldn't wish injury on anyone, but Chargers/Bengals/Vikings all have McVay disciples and are familiar with Perkins. 

I just don't believe in letting an asset go for nothing, especially with the way we feel about draft picks. If it comes down to an 8th WR or Perkins, give me Perkins.  

I just don't believe in letting an asset go for nothing, especially with the way we feel about draft picks. If it comes down to an 8th WR or Perkins, give me Perkins.  

This is fair but I do think the asset we'd likely get for him is at best a late day 3 pick. The easiest remedy for this is likely just cutting Skowronek but since that doesn't seem to be on the table I get why you'd lean Perkins.

thats interssting.
maybe the third qb is too much for mcvay this year. and now its time to battle it out.

burgess should be a cut. after three years he still looks awful against second and third stringers in preseason games.

i could see the rams go with just three rbs.

6 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

This is fair but I do think the asset we'd likely get for him is at best a late day 3 pick. The easiest remedy for this is likely just cutting Skowronek but since that doesn't seem to be on the table I get why you'd lean Perkins.

Somebody giving us anything of value for Perkins sounds like a fantasy. There are much better backup QBs.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Somebody giving us anything of value for Perkins sounds like a fantasy. There are much better backup QBs.

Yeah, I would assume that is the case. I will buy that he would get claimed off waivers but I don't even see a future 7th rounder being in play. He is very fun in the preseason but he's not a good passer and I don't see a path forward for him to become a good passer.