Training Camp 2022, Let’s ride!

AnAngryAmerican

Very disturbing that Patrick got injured in non-contact drill, seems like a "twist of fate" kinda thing. Third year in a row we lost one of our top receivers. On the flip side, we do have an opportunity to see what we have with some of our young developing guys. I have liked Seth Williams, want to see if more from him. Also hearing good reports on Kaden Davis and Brandon Johnson but both of those guys are rookies, I expect both to make it to the PS if not picked up by other teams.

Also, liking what I'm hear on Eyioma Uwazurike, Mike Purcell's job make be in jeopardy.

Edited by Cutler06

This would be another way to replace the Big Body target Patrick gave - more Albert O.    Could see more 12 formation in the RZ, for example.    Certainly Hackett’s scheme used that more in GB than one would think (24 percent of the time in last 3 seasons as OC in GB).

Edited by Broncofan

37 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

This would be another way to replace the Big Body target Patrick gave - more Albert O.    Could see more 12 formation in the RZ, for example.    Certainly Hackett’s scheme used that more in GB than one would think (24 percent of the time in last 3 seasons as OC in GB).

Not sure I see this to be honest. 

Tim was so reliable on 3rd down; Albert O isn't anywhere near my circle of trust as a reliable 3rd down option. Far too many drops.

Plus, he isn't a good enough athlete to shake Safeties on 3rd down. Patrick is so good on 3rd down because he threatens the entire field. 

Until he improves as a blocker, teams won't match him with a LB thus his matchups will be safeties and therefore he's going to have to make contested catches. 

Not convinced.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Tim was so reliable on 3rd down; Albert O isn't anywhere near my circle of trust as a reliable 3rd down option. Far too many drops.

Plus, he isn't a good enough athlete to shake Safeties on 3rd down. Patrick is so good on 3rd down because he threatens the entire field. 

Until he improves as a blocker, teams won't match him with a LB thus his matchups will be safeties and therefore he's going to have to make contested catches. 

Not convinced.

Yeah if he’s lined up with safeties it’s not nearly the same mismatch.   With Dulcich being a rookie that’s a tall order to assume he’s up to the task either.   

6 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Not convinced.

Patricks been one of my favorites for a long time and I think is quite underrated by the media and fan base.Nothing fancy about his game, just reliable, sneaky fast with great hands. Dropped balls just aren't in the equation.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 2:51 PM, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Yeah, Williams and Cleveland, though both one dimensional, have diametrically opposite games. Williams   is a guy who makes 50/50 balls 70/30. (Mainly because he has so much experience with them as much like Tim Tebow, every ball Bo Nix throws is a 50/50 ball)

He will be a fan favorite in the red zone and on out routes. But his route running and cutting is some of the worst on the team.

Keep an eye on Brandon Johnson. He’s been getting consistent 2nd team work even before the Patrick injury. Lot of players have talked about him. Pretty good size. 

On 7/31/2022 at 9:23 AM, Broncofan said:

Good call.  Sink or swim it’s hard to think Cush won’t be the C this year.   Establishing that QB-C connection is so crucial pretty tough to see the coaches go to someone else for Week 1.  Cush is going to have such a leg up.  

Maybe things change in season (and of course injury) but the extra time with snaps and reps are hard to discount.  

So apparently Cush hasn’t rotated at all and Risner hasn’t rotated with anyone in several days. LT-LG-C-RG might be set. And Billy Turner could run out of time to unseat Calvin Anderson, at least before Week 1.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

I still can’t believe how awful Shurmur was. He was never a great OC but we somehow got the worst version of him.

I'm actually glad to hear that. I wasn't at all happy when they fired Scang.... and brought in Shurmur. I remember you figured he'd be okay so I quit worrying. Looks like he let you and all of us down terribly. I don't think I've ever seen a Bronco's OC get so little out of so much talent.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I'm actually glad to hear that. I wasn't at all happy when they fired Scang.... and brought in Shurmur. I remember you figured he'd be okay so I quit worrying. Looks like he let you and all of us down terribly. I don't think I've ever seen a Bronco's OC get so little out of so much talent.

He was, and I can't stress this enough, awful. I think our high-ish hopes for him were mainly based on his QB work prior to joining, but that looks to have been fool's gold. Glad he's gone. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

I still can’t believe how awful Shurmur was. He was never a great OC but we somehow got the worst version of him.

To say it was a bad call was an understatement.  

Having said that looking back it doesn’t look like any solution was there: 

-Scangarello was hired for 1 year in Philly (Wentz final / Jalen Hurts first year) in 2020 and let go.  

-He then latched on to SF as their QB coach in 2021.   With Trey Lance as the rookie. And then let go.   

-In the retread world of coaching - despite 3 teams’ worth of experience, he can’t latch on to stay in the NFL.   He’s now the OC in Kentucky.   And those 2 teams who had developing rookie QB’s, like Denver, both cut bait.   That latter part is really damning.  

Meanwhile, Drew Lock is having a hard time beating out Geno Smith in TC.   And the Seahawks have been linked first to Baker Mayfield (weren’t willing to pay pick price given salary) and JimmyG (main reason SF won’t release him yet is widespread belief SEA would sign him).   We all saw that his weaknesses didn’t progress in his Denver time either.  

We also forget Lock’s 5-game 4-1 2019 run came against 4 bottom 10 pass D’s (by DVOA) that year - LAC (23rd), DET (25th), HOU (28th) & OAK (31st).   The only L was to KC’s 7th ranked D where we got thumped (again) on O.   Obv we know better now but that highlights the danger of SSS.    Everyone (myself included) just were so starved for hope we all were glad not to have a QB controversy going into 2019 - which sadly didn’t last.   But a deeper look strongly suggests neither OC nor Lock were the answer.  

Make no mistake - Shurmur was a disaster hire by Fangio.   But the notion Scangarello could have fixed Lock isn’t supported at all by the last 2 seasons post-2019.    It looks more & more like that 5-game run was just a mirage fuelled by playing horrible D’s.   Maybe things change but hard to see Scang / Lock being NFL level OC / starter either way.   Doesn’t take away from how bad Shurmur was though lol.   Glad it’s all in the rear view mirror.  

Edited by Broncofan

7 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

So apparently Cush hasn’t rotated at all and Risner hasn’t rotated with anyone in several days. LT-LG-C-RG might be set. And Billy Turner could run out of time to unseat Calvin Anderson, at least before Week 1.

If it’s Turner vs a healthy Anderson at RT it’s still likely a big upgrade on last year.   Having a swing T with the other guy and Glasgow being able to play C/G hopefully means we have starter level depth even before we get to Muti / Compton / others.    The likelihood the starting 5 play 17+ games together is almost nil. 

Turner vs. Anderson will be fascinating to watch.  Turner’s lack of reps def hurts him but his track record & experience with Hackett’s scheme should allow him to catch up.   Hopefully both play so well it’s a great problem to have.  Turner’s age makes him a short term solution only so Anderson being starter level would give us 3 decent T for the first time in forever (and a hopefully market friendly T re-sign for 2023).  That would be refreshing lol. 

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

To say it was a bad call was an understatement.  

Having said that looking back it doesn’t look like any solution was there: 

-Scangarello was hired for 1 year in Philly (Wentz final / Jalen Hurts first year) in 2020 and let go.  

-He then latched on to SF as their QB coach in 2021.   With Trey Lance as the rookie. And then let go.   

-In the retread world of coaching - despite 3 teams’ worth of experience, he can’t latch on to stay in the NFL.   He’s now the OC in Kentucky.   And those 2 teams who had developing rookie QB’s, like Denver, both cut bait.   That latter part is really damning.  

Meanwhile, Drew Lock is having a hard time beating out Geno Smith in TC.   And the Seahawks have been linked first to Baker Mayfield (weren’t willing to pay pick price given salary) and JimmyG (main reason SF won’t release him yet is widespread belief SEA would sign him).   We all saw that his weaknesses didn’t progress in his Denver time either.  

We also forget Lock’s 5-game 4-1 2019 run came against 4 bottom 10 pass D’s (by DVOA) that year - LAC (23rd), DET (25th), HOU (28th) & OAK (31st).   The only L was to KC’s 7th ranked D where we got thumped (again) on O.   Obv we know better now but that highlights the danger of SSS.    Everyone (myself included) just were so starved for hope we all were glad not to have a QB controversy going into 2019 - which sadly didn’t last.   But a deeper look strongly suggests neither OC nor Lock were the answer.  

Make no mistake - Shurmur was a disaster hire by Fangio.   But the notion Scangarello could have fixed Lock isn’t supported at all by the last 2 seasons post-2019.    It looks more & more like that 5-game run was just a mirage fuelled by playing horrible D’s.   Maybe things change but hard to see Scang / Lock being NFL level OC / starter either way.   Doesn’t take away from how bad Shurmur was though lol.   Glad it’s all in the rear view mirror.  

Yeah, there has been quite a bit of revisionist history with Scangs. He was pretty good on the opening script, but it was clear how lost he was after those 10-15 plays. And it’s an offense where stringing together plays with the run game and play action should almost come naturally. Everything builds off everything else in a way that makes sense, at least it should.

It’s hard to know what to make of 2019 Lock. I remember being so impressed with his willingness to always “take a profit” in that run, 4 yard dump offs here, scramble for 3 yards there. Not a lot wasted,  making the most out of plays when the first read wasn’t there. A year later, that kind of patience was gone. He couldn’t stop throwing the ball vertically (out of the stadium into Kansas) when he had guys underneath or at the sticks. His regression mentally was odd.

• Like 1