Ravens TC 2022

DreamKid

Ideally one of the 3 looks impressive enough to outright win the LG spot, but with Cleveland not passing the conditioning test and a very average Ben Powers beating out Phillips so far...we very well may just have to hope for “average” as a best case scenario at LG this year 

We’ll see if the comp shifts once pads go on but tbh I didn’t see anything out of Cleveland/Phillips/Powers last year that would make me overly confident that whoever wins that job will be an above average player

My takeaways from the stadium practice they live streamed:

- Offense was very TE heavy, as expected. Andrews was dominant and only slowed down once by Marlon hitting a Fruit Punch strip on him. Likely was as advertised with nice plays sprinkled throughout the day. Anticipate him being major factor in our preseason games.

- Hill is moving great post injury and had a nice link up with Lamar for a TCTD(It's hard to tell what would actually be a TD during camp with guys on defense not going full force on tackles). With his special teams acumen I expect him to be rostered throughout the season, and he's certainly top dog among the runners right now with Edwards and Dobbins still being held back. Nate McCrary also flashed and dropped a highlight TD off a wheel route that had Vonta Leach hyped in the booth. Super happy to have him back after the Broncos poached him last year. He should be another preseason focal point on offense. 

- At WR, no one is unseating the Top 3. Bateman, Duve, and Proche are entrenched atp. Bateman caught a sideline bomb from Lamar with multiple defenders around him and one on him. Also linked up with Lamar for 2 TDs during redzone 11 on 11s. Their connection is evident and potent. None of the newer guys at WR really separated themselves or went crazy, but I thought almost all of them had some good moments on the day. Bolden and Victor each had a highlight grab.

- From what I saw Linderbaum anchored well enough at Center, and I was really watching him. The stream cut out a couple times and they focus on only one portion of practice at a time so we didn't get to see all the reps, but so far so good. In general the OL didn't look like a major problem, which is encouraging. Ja'Wuan James was at LT with Stanley still out.

- EDGE rushers all had their moments but none dominated. Oweh and Houston looked comfortable. Steven Means was going as hard as you'd expect a 30+ Y/O journeyman vet to go. Biegal was very active. Daelin Hayes flashed as well, he loves and spams that dip around the arc.

- Travis Jones was awesome to watch at times. On back to back redzone plays he had a clear win, first with a bull and then a swim where he unfortunately got tripped. On one stunt where he was the under man he cleared two lineman like they were tissue paper and opened up a clean rush lane for Broderick Washington. You could tell the coaches wanted to see him with the 1s later on in practice when they shuffled him back in late. I'm so excited about this DI group. Even a back of the roster guy like Aaron Crawford might show a little something during preseason. He had a really nice pass rush rep today.

- No LB really had a highlight but it does seem like Welch is going to be given a chance to prove he can be more than a STer. He was feeling himself after a 'stop' on Badie around the LOS but again.. there's no tackling at this stage of TC.

- DB group was solid but the talent gap between our starters and depth at CB is very unsettling. Marlon is Marlon and Peters will be Peters, but our CBs 3-5/6 will probably be guys that wouldn't have been able to make our roster at the position the last couple of seasons. Apparently JAD and Stephens have flashed during camp, which is good, but I didn't see it in today's practice. Hamilton had a nice play where he sniffed out a designed run for Lamar in the redzone and helped stop it short. He really has the potential to be a special downhill player. Chuck Clark looked really sticky in 1 on 1s and it seems like his Man Coverage ability might be upgraded for 22'.

- Tucker was Tucker and Stout was apparently planting punt after punt inside the 5. They didn't actual show where the ball went, only his reactions and smiles but the booth was blown away.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DreamKid said:

- Travis Jones was awesome to watch at times. On back to back redzone plays he had a clear win, first with a bull and then a swim where he unfortunately got tripped. On one stunt where he was the under man he cleared two lineman like they were tissue paper and opened up a clean rush lane for Broderick Washington. You could tell the coaches wanted to see him with the 1s later on in practice when they shuffled him back in late. I'm so excited about this DI group. Even a back of the roster guy like Aaron Crawford might show a little something during preseason. He had a really nice pass rush rep today.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Apparently JAD and Stephens have flashed during camp, which is good, but I didn't see it in today's practice.

To be fair, Brandon Stephens did showcase some strong physicality in 1 on 1s(We saw one really good rep against Likely) and had a nice PBU on a pass to James Proche in what looked like 7 on 7s. So I don't want anyone who didn't watch to think he did nothing. I was probably being a little harsh/vague with my initial assessment. The team seems to be interested in his press potential as an outside CB.

I also want to highlight Chuck Wiley #53, our UDFA EDGE out of UTSA, he had some really nice reps and against Faalele in particular. Flashed a burst/motor combo that will have me keeping an eye on him during our preseason games. Our other UDFA EDGE Jeremiah Moon had his share of success too. When fresh, that UDFA EDGE duo seemed to give Jones-Smith and Faalele all they could handle. 

So is Brandon Williams on the roster or no?  If not which I assume is the case why has no one signed that guy?  What he retired or something?  Travis Jones could be a star and should be the starting NT shortly for them and Pierce showed surprising pass rush ability last year I thought despite his injury issues which were a problem, might play more at DE if Campbell is lacking because of his age.  

Oh and if Kyle Fuller is in top form they could have the best three corners on any team in the NFL with Peters, Humphrey and Fuller.  Also if Hamilton is as good as I think they could be a great secondary, and the addition of Marcus Williams is solid also, over the past few years I always thought safety was kind of a weak spot for them.  

Edited by Ozzy

15 hours ago, Ozzy said:

So is Brandon Williams on the roster or no?  If not which I assume is the case why has no one signed that guy?  What he retired or something?  Travis Jones could be a star and should be the starting NT shortly for them and Pierce showed surprising pass rush ability last year I thought despite his injury issues which were a problem, might play more at DE if Campbell is lacking because of his age.  

Oh and if Kyle Fuller is in top form they could have the best three corners on any team in the NFL with Peters, Humphrey and Fuller.  Also if Hamilton is as good as I think they could be a great secondary, and the addition of Marcus Williams is solid also, over the past few years I always thought safety was kind of a weak spot for them.  

Maybe Williams and the team have a hand shake deal where if we’re on a playoff run and we need the depth, they will resign Williams on a veteran deal.

That way he doesn’t have to go through the grueling season as he’s been injured the last few seasons with numerous dings.

But if needed, maybe he can retire with a ring.

The coaching staff playing Brandon Stephens exclusively at outside corner so far this camp kind of confirms what I saw last year from him at safety and in the slot - it wasn’t a good look. He didn’t look nearly sudden or athletic enough in the slot and he looked lost at safety a lot of the time.

Outside corner though could potentially be a fit for him...he doesn’t need the quick c.o.d. skills like he would in the slot and his size at boundary corner isnt an issue like it would be if he was used as a safety coming down to cover big TEs all the time.

It’s probably in his best interest as well with only Kyle Fuller and JAD to really compete with for backup outside corner duties behind Marlon and Peters.

We’ll see if he looks better at corner this preseason than he looked in the slot/safety last year but I think there’s a good chance he will

I think we’d be best served as fans to just not even expect Stanley back at LT at this point.

His return isn’t “imminent” and the season is 6 weeks away...if he was even remotely close to coming back, I don’t see why a 2-3 week difference would matter with an injury that was last operated on months and months ago. He’s either ready to play football this year or not, and it sounds like he’s not. 

It just doesn’t feel like there’s a logical reason why the team wouldn’t let him practice now, but would let him practice like 2/3 weeks from now (which is prob the minimum he’d need to play week 1) other than the fact that he physically isn’t able to play. What difference at this point would 2-3 weeks more make for this injury? Hate to say it, but I think he’s done.

Edited by Ray Reed

Juwan James out today with a “nagging” injury as well, which has been the story of his career. Don’t think we should be counting on him to stay healthy at this point either.

Everyone cross your fingers that Moses stays healthy all year so that we can put Mekari at LT and hopefully not have to worry about it even if Stanley never comes back

5 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

I think we’d be best served as fans to just not even expect Stanley back at LT at this point.

His return isn’t “imminent” and the season is 6 weeks away...if he was even remotely close to coming back, I don’t see why a 2-3 week difference would matter with an injury that was last operated on months and months ago. He’s either ready to play football this year or not, and it sounds like he’s not. 

It just doesn’t feel like there’s a logical reason why the team wouldn’t let him practice now, but would let him practice like 2/3 weeks from now (which is prob the minimum he’d need to play week 1) other than the fact that he physically isn’t able to play. What difference at this point would 2-3 weeks more make for this injury? Hate to say it, but I think he’s done.

4 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

My stance right now is Stanley won't ever play another snap for Baltimore. He'll ride the injury thing as long as possible so he can cash out and retire.

I tend to disagree. The team has seemed higher on the injury this season than last and have already stated they’re going to take things slow with him vs rush him back. They’re sitting JK Dobbins even though he himself thinks he’s ready, so I think they’re being extra cautious with our studs. Throw in the fact that Ronnie tried to return early last year and I don’t strike him as the Eugene Monroe type that will milk an injury to Graceland anymore.

Personally I kind of feel like the nature of the injury probably had different phases. Eg:

Phase 1- Heal
Phase 2- Recover/PT
Phase 3- Extended flexibility/ROM
Phase 4- Strength training
Phase 5- Professional conditioning
Phase 6- Play professionally

It sounds like back in April Stanley was probably somewhere around Phase 3 as everything seemed to be functionally good.

I’d guess he’s now somewhere between phase 4&5, building up the NFL strength and explosiveness that made him an All Pro and now slowly working towards the kind of cardio that will allow him to pass the Ravens conditioning test legitimately.

Logically there would be no reason for him to practice when the team would be better served evaluating our contingency options at LT and allow them to gel just in case Stanley can’t be at 100% by week 1 we have options and can start him on he PUP until he’s back to a PB caliber level. JMO.

2 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I tend to disagree. The team has seemed higher on the injury this season than last and have already stated they’re going to take things slow with him vs rush him back. They’re sitting JK Dobbins even though he himself thinks he’s ready, so I think they’re being extra cautious with our studs. Throw in the fact that Ronnie tried to return early last year and I don’t strike him as the Eugene Monroe type that will milk an injury to Graceland anymore.

Personally I kind of feel like the nature of the injury probably had different phases. Eg:

Phase 1- Heal
Phase 2- Recover/PT
Phase 3- Extended flexibility/ROM
Phase 4- Strength training
Phase 5- Professional conditioning
Phase 6- Play professionally

It sounds like back in April Stanley was probably somewhere around Phase 3 as everything seemed to be functionally good.

I’d guess he’s now somewhere between phase 4&5, building up the NFL strength and explosiveness that made him an All Pro and now slowly working towards the kind of cardio that will allow him to pass the Ravens conditioning test legitimately.

Logically there would be no reason for him to practice when the team would be better served evaluating our contingency options at LT and allow them to gel just in case Stanley can’t be at 100% by week 1 we have options and can start him on he PUP until he’s back to a PB caliber level. JMO.

Yeah it’s really anyone’s guess but this is the part i’m skeptical about. The guy hasn’t played football in 2 years basically. I just wouldn’t expect the coaching staff to think he can miss 2 seasons of football, miss training camp this year, have a few practices during the week as the regular season ramps up and them being comfortable sending him out there.

I feel like if he could practice, it would be way more beneficial for the team to have him out there, as he’s practiced what...probably 4-5 times since November of 2020? The fact he’s not practicing tells me he’s physically unable to, not necessarily them being “cautious” with a guy who maybe could be practicing like JK. That’s the sense I get at least. And if he’s physically unable to practice right now I just don’t see him coming back at a healthy and effective enough level this year. Hopefully i’m wrong

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 2