Patriots Training Camp - 2022

Hunter2_1

It's funny to hear all the stuff about how the offense has looked in training camp. You get the Belichick on the hot seat threads, people saying the patriots are going to ruin Mac's career, all kinds of crazy. People seem to think that the Patriots were perfect in training camp in the past. What We Learned from New England Patriots Training Camp, 8/7 | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report    Thats from 2012. The Patriots went 12-4 that year. If you read the part about Brady it sounds like people just copied the writeup and changed the names. 

4 hours ago, jofos said:

It's funny to hear all the stuff about how the offense has looked in training camp. You get the Belichick on the hot seat threads, people saying the patriots are going to ruin Mac's career, all kinds of crazy. People seem to think that the Patriots were perfect in training camp in the past. What We Learned from New England Patriots Training Camp, 8/7 | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report    Thats from 2012. The Patriots went 12-4 that year. If you read the part about Brady it sounds like people just copied the writeup and changed the names. 

It's a good thing they are struggling now. They're going to see that sort of thing in the regular season, and they need to know how to work it out

Day 11 - Hello, run game!

Pierre Strong - looked really good. Hit holes like a boss, gained ground and also his pass pro was good. Didn't seem like 'just a pass catcher'.

Jack Jones - time to put him on the rankings. Another int and another 2 pass breakups.

Tre Nixon - consistently found space in the short areas of the field and on underneath routes, ending the day with five catches in team drills.

Barmore and Andrews had a fight, the benches cleared. Overall, the offense looked sharper. Parker again used his size on Jon Jones.

1. Thornton

2. Barmore

=3. Parker and Jack Jones

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 1

So many guys I'm excited to watch tonight: 

• Nelson Agholor
    • ( With starters sitting.. do they play him to show him off to other teams? They still need cap space, trading him would free up enough to operate this season)
  • Mike Onwenu
    • ( If he is playing .. that's probably a bad sign, could he be a surprise camp trade?? .. he doesn't seem athletic enough for the zone scheme. Or do they push him back to RT if Wynn is traded?) 
  • Chasen Hines
    • (He just got off NFI so may not play at all.. but is he athletic enough at RG to try and compete for that spot?) 
  • Tyquan Thornton
    • ( Can he get Agholor cut / traded? Can he separate against the Giants starters? Or is he only looking great because our CB's are mediocre? ) 
  • Tre Nixon
    • ( Can he force some playing time in the slot? / get a roster spot? Or even get Meyers traded!?) 
  • Cole Strange
    • ( How are we looking against the Giants starting DL?) 
  • Jack Jones
    • ( Can be push Butler for the #3 CB job? He seems like a guy who could even grab that #2 CB spot 2nd half of the season if they don't push Jon Jones outside) 
  • Marcus Jones
    • (Can he push Jon Jones outside / into safety because he's so good in the slot?) 
  • Shaun Wade
    • (Can he be the future backup slot/outside cb/safety? He seems very versatile) 
  • Malcolm Butler
    • I mainly want to see how they use him.. is he mainly going to be a redzone guy?
  • Terrance Mitchell 
    • I think he's firmly entrenched in the starting CB role.. but if they have him playing today they may not be 100% sure about that 
  • Josh Bledsoe
    • ( Is he legit or just feasting on a struggling offense?) 
  • Yodny Cajuste
    • ( can he fight for that starting RT spot and get Wynn traded? I loved Cajuste in the draft, would be great if he can take over RT and leave Herron as the swing backup)
  • Arlington Hambright / Drew Desjarlais 
    • ( Both seem to be more athletic guards and have had some up and down moments in camp.. really curious to see how they do against another team)
  • LaBryan Ray
    • Apparently dominant in camp.. let's see how he does in preseason. The more DL depth you can get the better
  • All the LB's 
    • Perkins / Jennings / Wilson / Uche / Mcgrone .. let's see how you do against an OL which isn't learning on the go
  • Pierre Strong
    • He's barely practiced.. but if they put him into this game it shows me they want him to contribute this season. The zone blocking scheme shift should help him a lot.. I want to see him be a big play threat scaring teams with his speed along with Thornton
    • I also want to see his hands, could he be a guy like white where you have in the backfield one play then split out wide the next? Him next to Thornton is a lot of speed for a team to worry about

They need to create at least another ~9M in cap space to operate this season. Trading either Wynn or Agholor seems like a guarantee at this point. 

• Like 1

Anyone else see these reports about Nick Caley? 

Apparently he has 1 year left on his deal and didn't sign an extension, so that's the reason why they haven't pushed him into the defacto OC role?

They've essentially decided that they don't want to potentially change the offense again 2 years in a row if Caley isn't retained. I get that concern, you don't want to constantly be changing offenses, but you don't have a salary cap for coaches... just pay the man a "reasonable" salary and I'm sure he would sign an extension. Instead of resigning him they will push for Patricia / Judge because they will be here for awhile given that nobody is likely to hire them anytime soon? I think that also pushes any thoughts of O'Brien out the door next year too.. because he would likely only be a 1-2 year stop gap until he finds another HC job somewhere too. 

If that's the case... why not just let him go to the Raiders? 

I don't understand why it seems to always be reported that Patriots front office / coaches are underpaid and overworked. Without a salary cap, you should be paying top dollar to retain the best talent in those positions. Caley is still young, i'm sure if they gave him an extension he would stick around for as long as Bill is the HC. It seems like they wanted to continue paying him an extension on TE coach money while giving him OC responsibilities and he wasn't having it. Of course Judge/Patricia wouldn't complain about their workload because they are still being paid HC money from other teams. 

I'm not one of the people who is concerned that the offense is going to be garbage because of Judge/Patricia... but from a business perspective I don't understand why the Patriots run their coaching staff / front office this way. Issues like this are 100% preventable, you could have had a guy with 7 years of offensive coaching experience instead of 2 guys with 0. 

11 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Apparently he has 1 year left on his deal and didn't sign an extension, so that's the reason why they haven't pushed him into the defacto OC role?

They've essentially decided that they don't want to potentially change the offense again 2 years in a row if Caley isn't retained. I get that concern, you don't want to constantly be changing offenses, but you don't have a salary cap for coaches... just pay the man a "reasonable" salary and I'm sure he would sign an extension. Instead of resigning him they will push for Patricia / Judge because they will be here for awhile given that nobody is likely to hire them anytime soon? I think that also pushes any thoughts of O'Brien out the door next year too.. because he would likely only be a 1-2 year stop gap until he finds another HC job somewhere too. 

I don't understand why it seems to always be reported that Patriots front office / coaches are underpaid and overworked. Without a salary cap, you should be paying top dollar to retain the best talent in those positions. Caley is still young, i'm sure if they gave him an extension he would stick around for as long as Bill is the HC. It seems like they wanted to continue paying him an extension on TE coach money while giving him OC responsibilities and he wasn't having it. Of course Judge/Patricia wouldn't complain about their workload because they are still being paid HC money from other teams. 

I'm not one of the people who is concerned that the offense is going to be garbage because of Judge/Patricia... but from a business perspective I don't understand why the Patriots run their coaching staff / front office this way. Issues like this are 100% preventable, you could have had a guy with 7 years of offensive coaching experience instead of 2 guys with 0. 

I think BB is avoiding turmoil of overhauls/change this late in his career. Telling that it's two guys who have been through our pipeline before that have been given the keys. I share you concerns.

15 hours ago, Crimmage said:

I have seen little concerning Caley. Usually I don't read anything when it comes to coaching and how BB runs his team. Most of the stuff is BS or media guy take on what BB should do or what they think should be done. I read your post and didn't know much so I googled. 1st thing that came up was a article quoting Albret Breer!!!!

That's as far as I went concerning Caley.

There are many things that frustrate me when it come to BB and the Patriots but how he runs his coaches and team overall is not one of them. I laugh when I here a idiot sports writer like Breer tell us he knows best or this is what is going on within the organization. IMO they know crap!!!

Just remember when Judge went to the NYG I bet Breer was screaming from the roof tops the Pats lost the 2nd coming to BB!!!!

Recent articles Brady leaving camp. Some saying he can do what he wants or it isn't fair ... then days later the real truth come out about his mother.

• Like 1

Day 13 (Joint practice with Carolina) - Well, well, well....maybe its not our offense after all

So, Carolina's OL couldn't live with our DL, and Baker struggled to complete anything. Our offense was mixed. Once again, TT and Parker caught some impressive balls. TT had a diving catch for a TD and Parker had yet another jump ball catch over a DB and was Mac's fav target.

Ty Montgomery was the 2 min drill HB and had 3 completions. BB chewed out Bourne for something to do with his uniform. Shaun Wade had a pick. 2 or 3 brawls (yawn....swear they just turn up looking for brawls if it's an opposition team in practice).

Parker and Thornton - several themes are emerging from this camp. The most common is that the offense is up and down, but these two WRs are balling

Jalen Mills - Number 1CB basically confirmed, allowed one catch

Matt Judon - Dominated. 2 would be sacks and a run stuff

Jonnu Smith - registered no catches on three 1-on-1 reps, and later had a reception knocked out of his hands in team drills. He also was the target on Mac Jones’ interception during the two-minute drill. But he's been decent in camp so far.

1. Thornton

=2. Parker, Barmore, Jack Jones

=5. Marcus Jones, Godchaux 

Edited by Hunter2_1

On 8/16/2022 at 9:03 AM, m haynes said:

I have seen little concerning Caley. Usually I don't read anything when it comes to coaching and how BB runs his team. Most of the stuff is BS or media guy take on what BB should do or what they think should be done. I read your post and didn't know much so I googled. 1st thing that came up was a article quoting Albret Breer!!!!

That's as far as I went concerning Caley.

There are many things that frustrate me when it come to BB and the Patriots but how he runs his coaches and team overall is not one of them. I laugh when I here a idiot sports writer like Breer tell us he knows best or this is what is going on within the organization. IMO they know crap!!!

Just remember when Judge went to the NYG I bet Breer was screaming from the roof tops the Pats lost the 2nd coming to BB!!!!

Recent articles Brady leaving camp. Some saying he can do what he wants or it isn't fair ... then days later the real truth come out about his mother.

Couldn't agree more. Belichick has always groomed coaches in a variety of roles. The media is just latching to this storyline and Belichick stubbornly won't budge, so it's driving them crazy. Patricia was an OL Coach when he started his career, Judge was a college QB, etc. People even seem to forget that McDaniels started on the defensive side of the football. I remember, in one of the do your job docs (I think it was the Rams SB one because it focused a lot on Josh) that even McDaniels talked about this and how beneficial it was for his career.

My take is that the offense is going to be fine, and that I'm most concerned with the OL, not the play calling or the "new" system. I think everyone is playing in a different position this year besides Andrews. That's a bit concerning for me, but I'm sure they will figure it out.

• Like 1

We’ve signed Wydermeyer. Thought he was good for A&M.

second joint practice with a Carolina 

- Mills was lockdown, their WRs couldn’t beat him

- Jonnu smith lit Chinn up on a crossing route 

- OL was bad again, Jones under pressure

- Bourne is still in the dog house 

- Zappe was bad