Can Howell Leapfrog Heinicke to be our #2?

turtle28

Will Howell Leapfrog Heinicke to be our #2?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Will Howell Leapfrog Heinicke to be our #2?

• Yes
    • No
    • If so, Heinicke gets cut.

If Howell has a great camp & preseason like Kirk in 2012 would that bump him up to #2 similar to how Kirk leapfrogged Grossman in 2012? Also, if Howell beats out Heinicke in camp/preseason does Heinicke get cut? 

I think it’s a possibility that Howell practices and plays so well like Kirk did in 2012 that Howell becomes our #2 QB this year but, I think they keep 3 & don’t cut Heinicke just in case anything happens.

Edited by turtle28

He’s the better player. I don’t think it will right away just because Ron will prefer the experience but if Howell balls out in PS and shows in camp he has the offense down he could earn that spot and beat Taylor out. If that happens I think you could trade Taylor for something.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

He’s the better player. I don’t think it will right away just because Ron will prefer the experience but if Howell balls out in PS and shows in camp he has the offense down he could earn that spot and beat Taylor out. If that happens I think you could trade Taylor for something.

Yeah, maybe for a late round pick or something. Taylor has proven he can be a reliable back up for teams that don’t have one. If Howell did beat him out, I would think we could trade him but I actually don’t think we would. I think Rivera would still keep him. Of course I was wrong about Kyle Allen, I didn’t see any way they wouldn’t have Allen on the roster competing for a spot & they didn’t keep him.

• Like 1

This is a tough one fore me as I think Heinicke will be the #2 but if Carson in out multiple weeks at some point we'll see Howell esp later in season.

Think it be tough for Howell to win #2 in camp as it would basically come down to preseason and with only 3 games now and Cole Kelley will likely see field in all 3 in 4th as 4th string QB.So don't think he'll get enough time to Win the #2 job.

Also think Ron feels the pressure to win now and is less likely to trust a backup rookie.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ovfd55 said:

This is a tough one fore me as I think Heinicke will be the #2 but if Carson in out multiple weeks at some point we'll see Howell esp later in season.

Think it be tough for Howell to win #2 in camp as it would basically come down to preseason and with only 3 games now and Cole Kelley will likely see field in all 3 in 4th as 4th string QB.So don't think he'll get enough time to Win the #2 job.

Also think Ron feels the pressure to win now and is less likely to trust a backup rookie.

Very true. Probably regardless Heinicke will be the back up but, this could be the last year for Heinicke in DC I think if Howell looks decent this preseason. I guess I would disagree that Cole Kelly would see more time than Howell, I think Howell will play a lot in the 2nd &’3rd preseason games.

I doubt Heinecke loses the #2 job in camp. He might lose it if Carson is hurt and one of the two backups have to play for an extended period of time. At that point I see Howell having more experience in the system and the coaches wanting to go with Howell (maybe as early as late in the season but only if Carson is hurt) if Heinecke struggles. If Howell is the QB that some thought he was going to be, then I expect him to take over the #2 job after that. This could be Taylor's last year here. But only if Sam does well. 

Either way, in that case Taylor wouldn't be traded during the season. Next offseason? Maybe.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

I doubt Heinecke loses the #2 job in camp. He might lose it if Carson is hurt and one of the two backups have to play for an extended period of time. At that point I see Howell having more experience in the system and the coaches wanting to go with Howell (maybe as early as late in the season but only if Carson is hurt) if Heinecke struggles. If Howell is the QB that some thought he was going to be, then I expect him to take over the #2 job after that. This could be Taylor's last year here. But only if Sam does well. 

Either way, in that case Taylor wouldn't be traded during the season. Next offseason? Maybe.

I think it would be pretty situational.  Everyone got a good look at Heinecke's ceiling last year.  If we are 4-4, give or take one, halfway through the season and an injury requires us to put the next one up for a few weeks, I could see them going with Howell.  If we are in a one game Hail Mary situation, I think you go with the legend of TH.

• Like 3

I look forward to seeing Howell in pre-season games and whether he can go through progressions.

If we really want to see him potentially turn into a starter, I think the best thing that could happen to him is for him to ride pine all year.  

• Like 3

19 hours ago, daskins said:

I think it would be pretty situational.  Everyone got a good look at Heinecke's ceiling last year.  If we are 4-4, give or take one, halfway through the season and an injury requires us to put the next one up for a few weeks, I could see them going with Howell.  If we are in a one game Hail Mary situation, I think you go with the legend of TH.

Absolutely situational.

However, if we are 4-4 and Wentz is injured, and Heinecke is #2, they aren't going to the 3rd string QB right away. That's not good coaching or locker room management. They'd need to demote Heinecke to 3rd well before that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Absolutely situational.

However, if we are 4-4 and Wentz is injured, and Heinecke is #2, they aren't going to the 3rd string QB right away. That's not good coaching or locker room management. They'd need to demote Heinecke to 3rd well before that.

I agree with that.  I do think that it is one of the bigger things they need to figure out this preseason.  Just depends how quickly he catches up to the speed of the pro game.  Coming in, he seems to have the similar moxy for the position and just more talented in most every aspect.  I am not a gamer by any means, but saw the other thread and thought it might lend itself to continuing the game plan as if Wentz was in there.  Everything changes (sometimes for a more fun, sandlot type approach) with Heinecke in there...

FYSOnrmXgAIKZGs?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by daskins
Last sentence - forgot to mention who i was talking about
  • Like 2

On 8/1/2022 at 12:55 AM, offbyone said:

I look forward to seeing Howell in pre-season games and whether he can go through progressions.

If we really want to see him potentially turn into a starter, I think the best thing that could happen to him is for him to ride pine all year.  

Same 

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Same 

I agree that’s the best thing for him. But he wouldn’t be hurt seeing action he’s a tough kid and honestly I think if by some chance he does see the field he’s not coming back off it. He has the toughness of Taylor the same arm as Wentz. He’s def closer to Taylor’s height which does lead to batted passes but while I hope Wentz kills it and he gets to learn this year I truely believe if he sees action he will outplay them both as he grows

• Like 2