Nats Trade OF Juan Soto to the Padres

bigbadbuff

1 hour ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

How often is a kid like Soto on the trading block? This is Miggy to the Tigers part 2...and I wonder how many of their fans cried over losing Cam Maybin and Andrew Miller.

I mean, let's not act like Dontrelle Willis was just a throw-in.

On 7/20/2022 at 12:07 PM, CWood21 said:

I don't see the Cardinals putting together the package needed to get Juan Soto.

Compared to the Padres, yes.

What do the Padres have? Abrams is nice but okay, probably speedy second baseman. Hassell? Okay, a 20 year old hitting nice in Single A is fine but he's still more lottery ticket than certified prospect. MacKenzie Gore has collapased and the Nationals are the worst organization at developing talent. The Nationals already have a MLB ready catcher, so unless someone wants to give up a kings ransom for Campusano, they dont need him.

Cards can offer young, 4+ WAR, cost controlled MLB player(s), the number 7 overall prospect who hits for power, and two other top 100 prospects.

1 hour ago, Slateman said:

What do the Padres have? Abrams is nice but okay, probably speedy second baseman. Hassell? Okay, a 20 year old hitting nice in Single A is fine but he's still more lottery ticket than certified prospect. MacKenzie Gore has collapased and the Nationals are the worst organization at developing talent. The Nationals already have a MLB ready catcher, so unless someone wants to give up a kings ransom for Campusano, they dont need him.

Cards can offer young, 4+ WAR, cost controlled MLB player(s), the number 7 overall prospect who hits for power, and two other top 100 prospects.

I don't think he meant that the Cardinals couldn't put together a package.....but instead doubting the front office's willingness to do so. 

5 hours ago, Slateman said:

The Cardinals certainly have a compelling offer they can put together.  That's not the problem.  The problem is I don't see the Cardinals ponying up the prospects AND giving the mega-deal Juan Soto is going to command.  Nolan Arenado was effectively salary dumped on the Cardinals, and in the Goldschmidt deal they got him for Luke Weaver, Carson Kelly, and a competitive balance pick.  I'd argue the D'Backs traded upside for MLB-ready prospects.

3 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I don't think he meant that the Cardinals couldn't put together a package.....but instead doubting the front office's willingness to do so. 

This.  But more the fact that they're going to have to pay him a crap ton of money AND give up a ton of prospects.  DeWitt (rightfully) signed off on taking Nolan Arenado's contract, but it cost the Cardinals a BOR starter in Austin Gomber and an interesting lottery ticket in Mateo Gil.