Madden Analytics of the 2018 Draft

NudeTayne

Analytics for Sashi  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Is the sound of a player's name more important than SPARQ?

• Yes
    • Fire Hue, hire Hornby

I was having a moment today, and I thot to myself that this forum was kinda missing something like a nickname thread.  Then I realized, being that we're in Browns draft season, it's time to contemporize the nickname thread to be analytically relevant to the incoming NFL draft.  Looking into past evidence of player names, it's clear that the randomly generated player names in Madden let the cat out of the bag a bit, so to speak, as far as long term NFL player success.  Through my research, I've found as a general rule for there to be two types of star players in the NFL, those with old fashioned names--Jim Brown, Jerry Rice, Earl Thomas, Tom Brady, Richard Sherman, Barry Sanders etc.--and those with super swag names--Deandre Hopkins, Joe Montana, Lesean McCoy, JJ Watt, Von Miller, Lavonte David etc.

Looking at the Browns, our last draft is going to turn out better than some are thinking; Myles Garrett has an old fashioned superstar name, and Jabrill Peppers & Deshone Kizer have pretty good super swag names so that means at least three stars coming out of this last class.  Also, don't sleep on the old fashioned Howard Wilson and super swag DT name Larry Ogunjobi.  We had some good hits.  Looking around the league, when his name officially became Mitchell Trubisky, it got really boring and doomed his career--never going to reach the potential that Mitch Trubisky had laid out.  TJ Watt is a less good name than JJ Watt, so you do the math.  I'm worried about John Ross, as that sounds Hall-of-Fame worthy, like another Antonio Brown.  Leonard Fournette was a slam dunk superstar RB name, so of course he's doing well.

Now moving forward to the draft, we can look at some key positions and the obvious players we should/shouldn't have on our draft boards. 

First at passer, assuming Darnold declares for the draft, we have Josh Rosen vs. Sam Darnold.  While a part of me wants to go with the tide and choose Darnold, I'm starting to consider that Darnold staying in school may be a blessing for us in the end.  Assuming that the front office doesn't realize Deshone Kizer's name by the end of the year, Josh Rosen is definitely a majestic old fashioned elite quarterback's name.  Sam Darnold is kinda stupid.  I mean, what kind of name is Darnold anyway?  Just decide on Donald or Arnold already.  The third name Josh Allen is so milquetoast that it evokes Drew Stanton.  I've seen the light as far as passers.  Lamar Jackson should be decent though no Josh Rosen.  So there it is.

Next up we look at running back.  Looking at names, there should be some solid backs to come out.  Saquon Barkley will be an 83 ovr rookie with superstar potential--slam dunk if we go that way.  Derrius Guice is a weird name and sounds like an injury bust so I'm staying away.  Bryce Love on the other hand is going to be sensational.  If somehow we ended up with Barkley & Love, I wouldn't be mad.  The Alabama dude will a solid NFL back.

It gets tricky at WR because there is almost too much swag city.  Equanimeous St. Brown = umm, yes please.  Christian Kirk will be solid.  Calvin Ridley is going to be a star.  What a name.  Auden Tate & Simmie Cobbs have some potential as well.  We should get someone good in this draft.

Bonus: Minkah Fitzpatrick should be a top-5 pick by name.  Tarvarus McFadden is recycled NFL player names & will be a bust.  

Who else ya' got?  I know I'm not the only one who sees these clear correlations between name & talent.

Sam, Josh, Mason, or Baker....If we are going names???  I would have to say Baker....It reminds me of cookies and cakes, and who can resist?

Derwin or Minkah?  Derwin sounds kinda nerdy, and Minkah makes me think of mink coats.  I will take the Mink(ah)

Saquon, Derrius, or Nick...I think I like the last names more..Barkley, Guice, and Chubb....Barkley makes me think of Charles....Guice makes me think of Gucci....and Chubb makes me think of.................I will take Guice, as I think Gucci is expensive and therefore good.

4 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

Sam, Josh, Mason, or Baker....If we are going names???  I would have to say Baker....It reminds me of cookies and cakes, and who can resist?

Derwin or Minkah?  Derwin sounds kinda nerdy, and Minkah makes me think of mink coats.  I will take the Mink(ah)

Saquon, Derrius, or Nick...I think I like the last names more..Barkley, Guice, and Chubb....Barkley makes me think of Charles....Guice makes me think of Gucci....and Chubb makes me think of.................I will take Guice, as I think Gucci is expensive and therefore good.

Don't leave us hanging, what does Chubb make you think of?

Harold Landry is an all pro name. Derwin James at SS should work out. Armani Watts is high class. Mike McGlinchey is the name of a franchise tackle. Baker Mayfield's name suggests he's a franchise piece. This is shaping into a solid draft. I think LGB may be saying that Chubb sounds like something that I reach in full on draft day, but I'm not sure what he's getting at.

The name game is simply NOT the way to go about this. Think of all the guys with cool names we've had who suck:

Barkevious Mingo

LeCharles Bentley 

MindCharacter

The list goes on and on. Clearly, we need to draft players starting with the name J as they tend to work out best for us. 

Josh Cribbs

Joe Thomas

Joe Haden

Josh Gordon

This means Josh Rosen is clearly the #1 pick in the draft. 

41 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Harold Landry is an all pro name. Derwin James at SS should work out. Armani Watts is high class. Mike McGlinchey is the name of a franchise tackle. Baker Mayfield's name suggests he's a franchise piece. This is shaping into a solid draft. I think LGB may be saying that Chubb sounds like something that I reach in full on draft day, but I'm not sure what he's getting at.

I wasn't saying anything, he just left us hanging.

I just figured I'd ask so figuring it out wouldn't be hard on us.

Baker mayfeild has too much Jim kelly in it for me. 

The only thing more disappointing than 4  Super Bowl loses in a row is 0-16 four times in  row. 

That said I had my first patient bring in their own crack spoon yesterday. Crack is bad, so no one with cracky names if you know what I mean. 

5 hours ago, Reginaldm9 said:

The name game is simply NOT the way to go about this. Think of all the guys with cool names we've had who suck:

Barkevious Mingo

LeCharles Bentley 

MindCharacter

The list goes on and on. Clearly, we need to draft players starting with the name J as they tend to work out best for us. 

Josh Cribbs

Joe Thomas

Joe Haden

Josh Gordon

This means Josh Rosen is clearly the #1 pick in the draft. 

You've got some points in there.  Mind Character is definitely the worst.  I would argue that LeCharles Bentley is just okay and that Barkevious Mingo is one of those odd Madden'y names for practice squad guys they auto-fill the team with, like Ricardo Louis.  Those J names are good ones, tho.   Josh Rosen is it.

Archived