Deshaun Watson Suspended 6 Games; UPDATE: NFL Submitting Appeal to Increase

CBears019

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

If you're willing to overlook the disgusting nature of the player all for bragging rights with your office colleagues, it says a lot about you. 

Allegations and accusations 

If there were evidence you’d have more of an argument. It just is what it is. A FEDERAL JUDGE who knows more then I’d guess everybody on this forum and 1% of all people in society. I’m gonna take her opinion over everyone on this forum. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, malak1 said:

If Goodell increases the suspension length, what was the point of having Sue Robinson at all?

It sets the baseline that punishments aren’t haphazard. Now I’m the next one like this we know the starting point. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, malak1 said:

If Goodell increases the suspension length, what was the point of having Sue Robinson at all?

Perception of impartial ruling, gives the league an idea of public response and a mechanism to change when needed (and it keeps Goodell "clean" from criticisms).

It was a flawed system from the start - not because Robinson wasn't a good choice in theory, but because there are so many back doors for the league to exploit.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Perception - had that video not been released (the league SAW the video beforehand, mind you) it sticks at two games. Video was leaked and league (operating with information they already had when they decided two games) upped the suspension to indefinite.

The league is focused on image in these situations. Optics of the situation can provoke action.

Indeed. Just have to hope these next 2 days are the worst of Goodell’s life in terms of PR nightmare

Edited by JiffyJag
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

It sets the baseline that punishments aren’t haphazard. Now I’m the next one like this we know the starting point. 

The next one I believe will be Alvin Kamara and his assault case. I'd suspect - given the criminal charges and evidence available - Kamara will be looking at greater than six games.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JiffyJag said:

Indeed. Just have to hope these next 2 days are the worst of Goodell’s life in terms of PR nightmare

Right now, Goodell is praying a top 5 QB blows out their knee - that immediately takes headlines and this falls away from memory.

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Perception of impartial ruling, gives the league an idea of public response and a mechanism to change when needed (and it keeps Goodell "clean" from criticisms).

It was a flawed system from the start - not because Robinson wasn't a good choice in theory, but because there are so many back doors for the league to exploit.

Good add. I agree on the flawed system. I’ve argued it should be a board of 9 where 3 hear the case. 3 people picked by the PA, 3 by the league, 3 agreed upon. Having a single voice make most of the call is still a mistake. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Right now, Goodell is praying a top 5 QB blows out their knee - that immediately takes headlines and this falls away from memory.

I’m also hoping that one top 5ish QB in particular blows out his knee

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, JiffyJag said:

I don’t have any interest in defending Rice, but no, he was suspended indefinitely. He was initially suspended 2 games, based on the NFL conduct policy, before the video came out, where he was cut and suspended indefinitely. 

Per the negotiated agreement that was overturned 

https://www.cnn.com/2014/11/28/us/ray-rice-reinstated/index.html

9 minutes ago, malak1 said:

My guess is that if Goodell does increase the suspension that next collective bargaining the NFLPA is going to mandate that the individual party has final say. 

if you overturn the first one the NFLPA is going to have that. So if you overrule this your basically going to forfeit that right in the next CBA. There is no way the NFLPA is going to keep the same structure if this is overturned. No way